ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the name is a little misleading. I want to put a STi SOHC engine in my Sterling kit car. However this car is built on the same chassis as the VW Beetle. I have seen videos on youtube of some people that have replaced there old air cooled engines with BETTER Subaru STi engines. I have never done a swap before nor do I have an extensive knowledge of how to do any major modding such as this. Could any one tell me what all would need to be done to the frame and drivetrain to make this kind of swap successful. Don't worry about clearance issues or anything like that, purely frame and chassis. Also, the Sterling is an RR (rear-engine car) if you haven't picked up on that yet.

Any and all information on this subject will be appreciated.

Only serious comments. No "It's in a subaru for a reason" or "It's too difficult", etc. answers. Thanks.

If successful, I will try to post pictures of the swap on here.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did most of it in my baja. The above thread is mine. I didn't finish saddly. I had to sell if before I got it driving. A great place to ask questions is Welcome to Outfront, mate ! Great place for some nice parts and tons of answers.
It's more of a project then I thought it would be. But with that said. I still think it would be very worth it and would like to try again someday.
Here is a great build of a baja that includes a subi swap.
TheSamba.com :: View topic - '70 Convertible - long travel project car

There's lots of knowledge about swaps in the forums at thesamba.com as well as germanlook.com

Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts