Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the stock short throw worth it?

I am in the market to buy a wrx in the next couple of months, I'm wondering if the short throw shifter is worth the money, does it have better feel, quicker shifts, or is it just a gimmick?

·
Registered
115 Posts
i test dove one with the short throw. it just seemed more notchy not that mutch of a differance in travel perceved while driving. i would save my money for something else. imo

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I'd say it's worth it... most kits are pretty nice but try them out before you get them because some are shorter or stiffer than others.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
dubyarex,

I had the opportunitu to run thru the gear on a friend's WRX wagon with the kartboy short shifter. I was awesome, leaps and bounds above the shift quality of the standard shifter. The shifts were short, but not too stiff and the gears just seemed to mesh a lot quicker with a more positive feel.

Since I have no experience with any other short shifter in the WRX, I say get the inexpensice Kartboy kit. It's nice.

I have the armrest extension in my car, so I'll never go short shift in my WRX. I do plan to put Kartboy bushing in to improve the feel of the standard shifter.

-Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I may just replace the bushings like you say, Jim but I still don't see the relationship between armrest extension and shift throw.
In my mind the armrest extension is a necessity for long distance comfort.

dub

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: is the stock short throw worth it?

dubyarex said:
I am in the market to buy a wrx in the next couple of months, I'm wondering if the short throw shifter is worth the money, does it have better feel, quicker shifts, or is it just a gimmick?
I have the stock short shifter. I like it but it is notchy. It is definately better than stock

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i'm sure plat will be responding again soon, but in the mean time just wanted to post to shed some light on the subject. i talked to him about the short shifter / extended armrest combo and he said that the armrest comes out too far and would get in the way of shifting. i havent experienced this personally, but just wanted to relay what he told me on to anyone anxiously waiting for a reply. check back for plat's response for a full and detailed answer... :)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
My rex came w/ the arm rest extension (nice option- sunglass/misc storage) and later I purchased the STi short throw shifter. No problems whatsoever. The STi shifter (which is the entire shifter assembly- Kartboy, others just replace the shifter shaft) has firmer/shorter throws than stock. The bushings appeared to be stiffer than stock (not as stiff as Kartboys- many use Kartboy bushings w/ the STi setup). Installation was a little bit of a hassle (tight quarters to work w/) but not bad.

Try to get the dealer to throw it in.

Big Sky WRX

·
Registered
3 Posts
the arm rest extension causes some drivers to whack their elbows on it while shifting. i've heard this from a few people, but it all depends on your build i guess.
i have the stock short throw (no armrest extension), and i love it. i drove a few with the regular shifters on test drives, and when my wagon arrived with the shorty it was quite a noticable difference. there are less expensive shifters out there, but i figured in the installation costs, (because i'm not too confident in by technical abilities) and it made sense. so, if you're gonna install it yourself, you should probably consider an aftermarket.
also, i've read that the harder bushings make it feel even better; a more solid and precise feel without the "squishy-ness" of softer bushings.

·
Registered
559 Posts
HOW to install a STI Short Shift?

I bought a STI Shrort shift and i would like to know where i can find some explanation on how to replace the complete assemble.
Thanks
Tuca

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
It didn't come with instructions?

·
Registered
265 Posts
i had the same issue, just get under there and start taking the stocker off. it really is pretty simple once you get in there.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I will have to get under there???
isnt there anyway i can do it from the inside of my vehicle??
do i need to lift the car up??
or only going under there its ok for reaching it?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those instructions are very good. I used them last weekend when I installed my STi Short Shifter. It's a pretty easy process - if the transmission is cool. I did the install two hours after I drove home from work and I found that the transmission was still HOT.

I would also recommend getting some Kartboy shifter bushings before you install the short shifter. That will alleviate some of the rubbery feel the stock shifter has.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The bushings are much easier to install on the bench. My sti shifter felt very rubbery until I installed the Kartboys.

misterx

1 - 20 of 46 Posts