ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New car, so I figured I better document this time around:)

The STi short shifter is the entire shift assembly, has a shorter throw and firmer bushings. Me likes.

First we'll start by pulling the e brake back a bit and then carefully lift up the console in front of the armerest storage area, that surrounds the e brake. This piece just pulls off, just do it gently.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconect the wire harness to the mirro adj and slide the entire pice over the e brake.

Next unscrew the shift knob and remove it. Now gently pull up the plastic console surround ing it. Again just pulls off, but be gentle.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next we'll remove the base piece. It's held by four phillip screws- two in front of the shifter, one between the shifter and ebrake and two in the armrest compartment.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Next you'll need your car up on jack stands (or heaven forbid a lift!).

Now is a good time to pull out your shifter assembly, so you know what the thing looks like, so you can recogonize it underneath

In the pic you can see the fore pieces, the upper piece is a U joint affair, the lower a round bushing piece and at the rear you can see a small bracket.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You'll next remove the round portion of the assembly (front portion) w/ the rubber bushing- it's held on w/ a 12mm nut, remove the nut and then slide the bushing off. The other piece (U joint piece) is held on w/ a 12mm bolt and a nut on top. It's kind of close quaters, but you can get to it. Remove the nut and bolt.

Not the best pic, but you can see the rubber bushing round portion pulled off to the side (nut is already off)- above it sits the U joint piece

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Then there is a bracket at the rear of the shift assembly that is held in w/ two bolts (12mm)- (the pic doesn't show the bolts, but are where the arrows are pointing), remove these two bolts and the assembly is free. It'll take some jiggling, but remove the entire assembly from the top.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slide the new assembly in (from the top) and bolt up the rear bracket, then the upper front piece and then the lower piece (round w/ bushing). No torque specs- can't get a torque wrench in there anyways- I went "firm".

Then repace the metal bracket and the trim pieces in reverse order, carefully "snapping" them in and voila- you'll now have shorter, crisper shifts!

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ShotgunTC88 said:
Now all ya gotta do is pop in a Kartboy bushing....;)

Since ya did the install yourself you saved around $100!

Shotgun
The STi ones are substantially stiffer than the oem ones, not urethane stif, but much stiffer.

I put my last one in (02) as well. I was actually hoping to get it as a option, but wasn't on it (no boost gauge either:rolleyes: -that goes on tomorrow).

Big Sky

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
The STi ones are substantially stiffer than the oem ones, not urethane stif, but much stiffer.

I put my last one in (02) as well. I was actually hoping to get it as a option, but wasn't on it (no boost gauge either:rolleyes: -that goes on tomorrow).

Big Sky

I put my STI shifter in also,

And added the Kartboy later, After driving it awhile.

I noticed a bit better gate movement, But not a big diff, It "seems" to add a tad more precision/tightness to the shifts.

Dont fret on the boostgage, I HATE that MPA sht on mine..:(

Shotgun

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ShotgunTC88 said:
I put my STI shifter in also,

And added the Kartboy later, After driving it awhile.

I noticed a bit better gate movement, But not a big diff, It "seems" to add a tad more precision/tightness to the shifts.

Dont fret on the boostgage, I HATE that MPA sht on mine..:(

Shotgun
I'm just using the oem pod- got a nice 45mm Omori w/ matching green back lit and red needle, also in psi:)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Midwestrider said:
Big Sky,

Not to go OT on this post but is your 45mm Omori boost gauge the Electronic or Mech unit?

Did it fit in the OEM boost pod ok?
Any pics of that install?
It's a mech-evidently they don't make an electornic w/ the red needle/green back lit. It's a very tight fit- the oem gauge is a little smaller. I'll snap a pic tonight.

Big Sky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Next you'll need your car up on jack stands (or heaven forbid a lift!).

Now is a good time to pull out your shifter assembly, so you know what the thing looks like, so you can recogonize it underneath

In the pic you can see the fore pieces, the upper piece is a U joint affair, the lower a round bushing piece and at the rear you can see a small bracket.
i hope thats not what the 09-10 STi shifter for the WRX looks like! otherwise i "bought" one with my car but it wasnt installed.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
same-o, same-o

you'll know if you have the shifter or not- test drive one w/o it- the shifts are loooooooong and sloppy :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know, thread has been quiet for some time. But for any shifter install or maintenence, at least for my '06 WRX TR, no need to remove the center console. The trim piece bordering/attached to the shifter boot pops right off. Just need to unscrew the knob ahead of time and do a little bit of fiddling since the trim piece is attached to the cigarette lighter as well. 1 minute removal time for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know, thread has been quiet for some time. But for any shifter install or maintenence, at least for my '06 WRX TR, no need to remove the center console. The trim piece bordering/attached to the shifter boot pops right off. Just need to unscrew the knob ahead of time and do a little bit of fiddling since the trim piece is attached to the cigarette lighter as well. 1 minute removal time for me.
once you unscrew the knob do you just pull it off and the trim peice lifts up with it or do i need to gently pull it up off some clips. also what happens to the shifter boot. i was just messing round one day and unscrewed my knob but it felt like the boot was attached to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts