ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
My uncle has an 02 wrx and I'm pretty sure that the WRX seats are different. They are actually more supportive for my body type, 165 lb 5'8". In any case, both seats are far from Recaro quality. I would not suggest purchasing USDM STi seats unless your slightly overweight because they simply aren't very supportive for a narrow body.

My suggestion is if you are planning to purchase STi seats, order the JDM spec version. Or EDM.

Or you can take a wallet hit and buy Recaro or Sparco or OMC

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Is there any way to get the range of motion of the 02 WRX seats in the STi? I'd like to sit as low as possible for visibility. With the STi seat all the way down, I still have to duck to see the stop lights. And I don't really want to have to put entire WRX seats in, if I can avoid it (just change out the mechanisms or something?)

·
Registered
68 Posts
My suggestion is if you are planning to purchase STi seats, order the JDM spec version. Or EDM.

I just sat in the EDM seats in the EDM STI and they are not more supportive for my narrow body than USDM. They only have that balck bump between your legs. JDM as far as I know are the same as EDM.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
VVVV said:
Is there any way to get the range of motion of the 02 WRX seats in the STi? I'd like to sit as low as possible for visibility. With the STi seat all the way down, I still have to duck to see the stop lights. And I don't really want to have to put entire WRX seats in, if I can avoid it (just change out the mechanisms or something?)
The 02-03s went lower. The 04 wrx and sti seats both sit about 2 inches higher then they used to. Im not sure exactly what they changed but I couldnt find an easy way to lower it. I just carved out an inch of foam from the seat bottom, and when I have my harness on it gets me to where I can actually see the tach.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
afpdl said:
The 02-03s went lower. The 04 wrx and sti seats both sit about 2 inches higher then they used to. Im not sure exactly what they changed but I couldnt find an easy way to lower it. I just carved out an inch of foam from the seat bottom, and when I have my harness on it gets me to where I can actually see the tach.
Is the fabric loose on the seat now? Did you have to trim the butt bolsters too? I never thought about doing this, and I have to check if an inch will accomplish anything for me, but this is a great idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The fabric isnt loose as in its not wrinkling up or anything. I actually hollowed out the foam so there is still some pressure pushing up on the fabric when Im not sitting but it does not push up as much as the untrimmed passenger seat. I could take some pics later.

I didnt trim the bolsters because on me it doesnt affect how high I sit only the rear most part of the cushin did that. The side bolsters and front section only touch my legs which dont affect how high I sit. BTW Im 6'4" 220 34 inch waist, you results may vary.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm not saying I'm so big I sit on the bolsters, just that with trimmed foam the fabric might have a gap that will get stretched out and wrinkly over time. But you answered that. I'd like to see those pictures, if you get a chance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well guys, I had a 03 wrx and i now have a 04 sti, here is the honest truth, the wrx seats are miles ahead of the sti seats in comfort and support, they are padded in all the right spots , but are plain looking , the sti seats are hard(like no padding), wide, not very supportive , but they look really cool . After all isn't it better to look good, than to feel good??? I'm going to take off the covers on my sti and add padding to the drivers seat so at least i will be comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts