Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took a trip up hwy 395 in Ca to Tahoe and back , got over 27mpg ! The STi proved to be relatively comfortable also for long driving . I have the Limited which has leather and Nav , both nice to have .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I miss Tahoe, lived there over 10 years and moved a little over a year ago. Already planning road trip myself to go back in Mellow Yellow next Spring. All 3 Subaru's I've owned have been great road trip cars.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
My STI is the last car I'd grab should I have to drive long distances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I can't open attachments... :-(

My WRX is not bad at all for long trips. I find that the MT keeps me much more engaged and prevents fatigue to some extent. That and the road feel. And the cockpit is very comfortable for me.

I have driven it 500 miles to Denver and back twice (was in Denver yesterday but took the train and flew, neither of which were particularly pleasant experiences), and to Minnesota and back a couple of times.

That said, my X3 was a superior long trip beast. Very comfortable and quiet, very stable even with heavy crosswinds. And a brute at highway speeds.

The Z4 I had was not a great road beast. After a couple of hundred miles I got out shaky, like I had just gotten off a bucking bronc. Of course, road noise was horrible, though with the stereo loud enough it didn't matter too much. (Same with the WRX.) I needed a beer or 2 to unwind after driving that one any distance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear a few here not thrilled about road trips in certain cars. Why do you own them then? Some of the best and most enjoyable road trips I have had have been in cars 99% of people would say no way. It's not all about the comfort it's about the experience. I've had several epic road trips with the ultimate being from Long Beach, CA to Yellowstone, Glacier, and then all the way to Neenah, WI and back in a '64 Lotus Elan! Imagine 40 degrees, snow falling, top down, and a heater the sorta worked. No AC, no cruise, but oh what glorious memories that can't be forgotten. Other trips over 1000 miles, were in a '72 Pinto, a '91 Lotus, and a couple years ago in an '03 SLK32 AMG. I thought the SLK was too user friendly, but nothing beats a German Hot Rod on a long stretch of remote 2 lane roads. That trip took me from Tahoe to Colorado, then to Vegas, and back to Tahoe. I Love road trips.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I love my WRX . . . but as I've told my wife . . . on long trips I prefer her Legacy. It may be a little more pokey and doesn't handle as sharp, but it's quite comfortable for cruising.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I hear a few here not thrilled about road trips in certain cars. Why do you own them then? Some of the best and most enjoyable road trips I have had have been in cars 99% of people would say no way. It's not all about the comfort it's about the experience.
Well, I've made some memorable road trips in many cars, including a drive from Chattanooga to NYC and back in 1980 in a '77 Celica; a 70's-era Olds Cutlass from Atlanta to New Orleans and back, on which we had to change a tire by the side of Highway 65; and a drive from La Crosse, WI, to NYC and back, on which the Ford Windstar transmission went out literally as we were on the on-ramp for the Lincoln Tunnel. Lots of summer trips with no AC. And too many winter trips in whiteout conditions.

But, these days for a long trip I'm pretty insistent on a minimum of creature comforts and performance. A nice seat, cruise control, preferably well over 200 HP, good gas mileage and a decent stereo are my preferences.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
I hear a few here not thrilled about road trips in certain cars. Why do you own them then? Some of the best and most enjoyable road trips I have had have been in cars 99% of people would say no way. It's not all about the comfort it's about the experience. I've had several epic road trips with the ultimate being from Long Beach, CA to Yellowstone, Glacier, and then all the way to Neenah, WI and back in a '64 Lotus Elan! Imagine 40 degrees, snow falling, top down, and a heater the sorta worked. No AC, no cruise, but oh what glorious memories that can't be forgotten. Other trips over 1000 miles, were in a '72 Pinto, a '91 Lotus, and a couple years ago in an '03 SLK32 AMG. I thought the SLK was too user friendly, but nothing beats a German Hot Rod on a long stretch of remote 2 lane roads. That trip took me from Tahoe to Colorado, then to Vegas, and back to Tahoe. I Love road trips.
I have several different cars.

My STI is a great weekend and autocross car and a commendable commuter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did a couple of road trips in my WRX. It was what I expected and performed well. Good gas mileage and relative comfort.

I have done a couple of longer trips in cars that weren't as well suited. We have already had one Lotus show up in this thread, so I'll add a second. I made a trip to New Orleans, LA from Missouri in a Lotus Europa S. If you were careful you could get both windows down without blowing a fuse. In the northern climes, the heater almost worked. Sometimes, it would get it warm enough that you couldn't see your breath in the car.

On the other side, my favorite was the 2012 XJ trip to Gettysburg, PA from Lafayette, LA. When they talk about GRAND Touring, this is my idea. The 5 liter V8 was sooo smooth and just punch it and a bellow and planted in the seat followed. Roomy and just wonderful in handling, compliance and performance. This is still my pick over the Audis, BMWs and Lincolns that have graced our garage over the years (no MBs so I cannot comment on those).

The current Cat is very nice, too, but it is not the XJ.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We road trip my WRX regularly. 3.5 hour drive to my wife's parents house and we bring our two kids (ages 4 and 2) along with our little Maltese pup. Fashioned a iPad mount that hangs between the front seat backs and play Disney movies for the kids to keep them entertained. Between our two cars, mine gets better MPG and is more fun to drive. I have no issues with the seat and find it to be quite comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts