Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With what we know ... can anyone tell me what the STI ride quality will be like ... in everyday urban driving ...

We know it will be relatively great at speed. A lot of recent magazine articles have been unhappy with the overly hard quality of aftermarket coilovers.

If the STI is overly harsh ... another reason to just put more money into my '03 Rex Wagon .... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we can expect the STI to be on par with the "R" version of the RX7? :-(

For urban street driving, softer can be faster. With a stock WRX you might be able to speed over a railroad crossing ... but with harder coilovers you might have to slow down, and still get beat up! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like your "balance" also ... but since the STI would have to be my everyday drive ... I wouldn't be able to put up with kidney pounding ... and I don't think most women would care for it either ... :-( If I was younger ... and still driving autocross ... then for sure! :)

I'm hoping the STI won't be to extreme when it comes to ride quality ... I think Subaru compromises for the US market. Look at our stock WRX brakes ... inadequate for the speeds that car is capable of ...

What I would be looking forward to with the STI, besides the six speed and brakes, is having more low end torque. I almost never get a chance to wring it out on counrty roads .... but more grunt ... plus being able to have an extra ratio is going to make even urban driving more fun. For most urban driving ... you bog down cornering in 2nd ... and you are apt to hit the rev limiter in first. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An 8 would be no problem then for everyday driving ... even for an oldster like me. :) Driven around in M3's enough to know that their ride is perfectly acceptable ....

Just when I thought I would put my money into my WRX Wagon ... I'm again split on whether I sacrifice the extra room that my wagon offers for the extra fun of an STI ... :confused:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Get a ride in someone's car that has SPT/STi suspension upgrade, 17 inch wheels with 225/45/17s. It should ride about the same, I would imagine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to have an Integra Type R. I'm guessing the STi will have a similar ride to it. Harsh, but very daily drive-able IMO. I will definately put up with it again. :):D

·
Registered
907 Posts
want ride quality? get a lincoln....sheesh. :D :rolleyes: :D

·
1,379 Posts
Jtek said:
want ride quality? get a lincoln....sheesh. :D :rolleyes: :D
I've got to second Jtek. I can't even imagine buying a sports car and expecting it to be a nice cushy ride. I'll gladly trade a moderate kidney pounding to gain a little extra stick and transitional stability at the track. You guys aren't really so soft that you insist on comfort over performance, are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was the original poster ... and I'm not looking for cushy. With my 17" SST's, S-03's and big rear roll bar ... my '03 WRX isn't cushy ... but with those S-03's I've got an amazing amount of stick. Never had anything like it! I don't need kidney pounding for lots of stick ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts