Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I hate the term rice. I think it is way overused, and overrated. But how come all the WRX owners get away with badging their car's STi when their car is not so equiped?? I know what it stands for, and I know you can buy parts that don't come on the sti wrx.... but It seams like it is the same thing as doing the whole type-r thing. If i bought a type-r engine, lsd, trany, etc... My car still would not be worthy to carry the type-r name because it is not one. And If you put all the STi parts on your REX and then call it a sti ,isent it kind of disrespectful to the STi WRX. Im not trying to be a ass, i just want to know what you guys think.... Please don't think I am trying to be a *******...

·
Registered
294 Posts
To some degree I would agree with you, but the type R is a car model only, and STi is a model and a "sub-division" (lack of a better term, sorry) of Subaru that developes cars and parts like Ford's SVT. If I loaded my car up with several thousand dollars worth of STi parts, I might stick a STi badge on there as well. But proly not, I aint crazy about pink.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Think of Subaru's STI as Toyota's TRD. They are a parts/performance division, so if you have STI parts on your car its safe to put a STI badge or sticker on your car. Now if you go and put a S202 (Actual type of car like the Type R) badge on your WRX then thats not cool.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i think putting an STI badge on anything but an STI is RICE. or if it's not rice, it's just plain weak.

would you put M badges on your 330?

NOPE. if you want an STI badge, or an M badge or a type R badge, GET THAT CAR. seems very simple to me. otherwise, you're pretending to be something you're not. either that, or you're at least risking having people think you're something you're not.

dR

·
980 Posts
why do people put Aftermarket part company's decal on? same reason with STi. Certainly those cars werent built by Tein or Cusco.

-c

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
but there's no such thing as a blitz car (not sponsered, built)

there IS an STI, there is a TYPE R. it's not stickers, we're talking about badgeing a car.

it's like badging a G2 'teg LS, with a Type-R, & V-Tec tags.

:rolleyes:

POSERS.

dR

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Think of Subaru's STI as Toyota's TRD. They are a parts/performance division, so if you have STI parts on your car its safe to put a STI badge or sticker on your car. Now if you go and put a S202 (Actual type of car like the Type R) badge on your WRX then thats not cool.
I completely agree with you. I see putting an STI badge as a form of promotion for Subaru's "performance division." In all honesty, I may put an STI badge next to my trunk's keyhole...not more than one though.

Now that I think about it, my foglight covers say STI on them. I didn't like they way they looked with out it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm personally with the line of thought....

If you want ME to put a sticker on MY car to advertise YOUR product give me a discount.

Same with dealer branding on my car in the way of stickers and licence/number plate surrounds. They went the day I got my baby home.

The dealer did nothing special for me so I sure as hell aint going to advertise for them.

And over here in Australia STi Fog lamp covers are stolen left right and centre!

Cheers
AntMan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Let people put whatever the he!! they want on their own cars... put a Cadillac emblem on your WRX, I dont give a crap its not my car. :D STi is a performance oriented entity just like TRD. So putting a TRD logo or badge on a Celica is rice? Please... :rolleyes: Putting a "Type-R" or a "Z28" badge on a Toyota Tercel is rice... I say if you want to put an STi banner or badge on your car because you support Subaru/STi, you are a fan of STi, or just plain cause you think it sounds cool, then go ahead. Its not like you're trying to actually convince anyone that you have a Japan-spec WRX STi. sheesh :) I guess I dont understand what the big deal is...some guys treat this like its putting a "5.0" badge on a 4-cyl Mustang or something. ;) I guess the guys driving around with the rally style decals on their cars are posers too?

PS: Untouchable, your RSX looks sweet. I'll be sure to honk and give the thumbs up if I see you rolling around town. :cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh man..here we go again! Hehe...

Again, my quick opinion...

Don't let the marketing fool ya! If we were all purists, then we would debadge our cars completely and put a GM and Fuji Heavy Industries sticker on it. Keep in mind that the GDA/GDB bodystyle was designed by General Motors and FHI manufactures the car. There's no real "Subaru" company, it's just a trademark. If you go to the Subaru factory in Indiana, there's a big sign that reads "Subaru-Isuzu". Again, it's just branding. It trickles down to the "STI" group as well. There's no 'real' STI company per se(even though it's a 100% FHI owned subsidiary, but operates inside the FHI campus), it's just a handful of mech's and marketers that work in a department of FHI. So it's not even really it's own entity, they are a management team that does no R&D whatsoever. If you work for FHI, and happen to land in the STI group, then your focus is event planning and training of subaru techs. The image was made to label the dress-up parts, and have something to put their company's efforts on an icon.

If you read some of the FHI literature, the car is never called "The STI", that's just the name Americans, Australians, and Europeans gave it. The car is officially a Subaru Impreza, "STI" is put on when the marketers think of a part to put on the car. It has nothing to do with performance mods, it just ended up this way because we never really knew what it was for. I think the TYPE-R ruined it.

When our sales guys (at work) from Tokyo come over, they think we are retards for calling it "The STI"! But it's hard to get over it since we are used to calling it that, and not as they call it (just GDB for most). I like to think of the STI badge on my JDM grill as just icing on the cake...you don't need it, but it's sweet. It's also a reminder that Subaru Tecnica International represents Subaru's presence across the world, NOT a particular 'car' per se (Forester STI, Legacy STI, etc).

Sorry, I'm rambling again. But my friend in Japan calls me once a week, to bug the hell out of me and tell me that a lot of the WRX's in the US are ugly. So I have to vent a little.

One more thing to think about: we all *****, including me, whether or not STI badges are ricey. But I bet most that complain don't even know what the 6-star badge is for or what it means....hehe...

Did I mention I'm taking off my badges? LOL

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks, I think I just like to chat...lol

Ya know, I never liked the 'pink' badge before, but the Japanese guys get pissed when you call it 'pink'. My friend grilled me, so I am now supposed to be calling it "Cherry Red". So it's cool again!

Oh! And UntouchableRSX: that's a nice looking Honda! So take off the "Acura" bring it back to it's true state. I'm just f'ing with you. It does really look nice.

Did I mention I saw an '87 sentra (stock, beater) today on I-5? He had 2, yes 2 GTR badges on! One on the left side of the trunk lid, and one on the right! And he had a calvin sticker peeing on the Nissan logo.

2003WRX said:
Very good info 206WRX_GDA, thanks! :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
"Cherry Red" heheh looks "pink" to me! :) I think its important to understand too, that alot of people decide to put the "Cherry Red" "I" badge on the grille, or other STi badges, etc on the car more because they are striving to have their car simply not look like every other car on the street.

I've got small "STi" vinyl decals on my doors that are carbon fiber looking (black/gray checkerboard patterned). Why? Cause it matches my carbon fiber looking Rota wheel center caps, and my carbon fiber side markers... and simply cause I wanted to acknowledge STi. I just thought the doors looked kind of "naked" and the carbon fiber pattern matches the "theme" I've got going on the car... Will I leave them on there forever? I dunno, maybe not. They were a whopping $7 for the pair so no big loss if I get a bug up my arse and peel them off one day. Actually, they are somewhat hard to see unless you are really close to the car... ahh well, call me a ricer/poser if you want to. I will still sleep like a baby tonight. :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
UntouchableRSX said:
Thanks for the compliments.:D

2003WRX: Where in utah are you from??
I'm in Salt Lake... :D

And, I'll throw in another point to stir the STi "pot" eheheh. My car came brand new with a Titanium shift knob bearing the STi logo on it. I mean, this is absurd, right? Surely my car is not worthy of having an STi logo'd shift knob in it which is a genuine subaru accessory listed on their US website. Its not a true "STi".... ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I couldn't agree more about putting "badges" on cars. And with the STI coming state side I can just see every tuner putting STI decals on their WRX. Even if someone has the STI exhaust or shifter doesn't make that car a STI. That's like taking the weak 6 cylinder Mustang, putting the GT exhaust on it with a GT badge. It doesn't make sence. Maybe I'm just so tired of seeing Civics and Sentras with "Type R" decals and don't want the WRX to get the same reputation.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
STI stickers or accessories like fog covers or shift knobs are one thing.

but BADGING your car as an STI is misrepresentation. like i said. putting a type R badge on a 'teg LS, is RICE.

you're car isn't the STI, so don try to confuse people that it is. no one things you're driving an STI b/c of your shift knob. but the other day in allson there wa a guy with a WRX, badged with the STI. i pulled up next to him and said, "wow, is that really a STI spec WRX?

"no"

so even if he didn't want to misrepresent the car, he KNEW that some people might think it really was. what a loser.

also, don't put a "Kompressor" badge on your crappy old mercedes with gold rims. it looks stupid. we all know it's not a real "kompressor"

don't put DINAN badges on your '93 318 hatchback. we all know it's not DINAN tuned. the rust spots on the fenders are a good tip.

don't put a TRD badge on your tacoma pickup form 95. unless you got the bilstein package and the valve and lifter timing equipped engine, you're a dork.

if you want to put on windshield banners? shift knobs? stickers? it's your car. i think it looks weak, but at least you're not trying to make your car into something it's not.

mis-badging your car is REALLY dumb. it's a deliberate attempt to trick, or misinform people that you have a better car than you really do. come to terms that you're driving the car you're in. if you can't you have a MAJOR inferiority complex, and it's probably leaking out to other parts of your life.

dR

·
Registered
196 Posts
The worst example of rice I've ever seen was a Mitsu Diamante (sp?) with a full compliment of BMW 5-series badges. :rolleyes: I think that is certainly rice. Badging your WRX to look exactly like a "real STi" is probably rice too since that is something your car is not. Saying that any other sticker/knob/mod is "weak" is nothing but an opinion. It doesnt matter what you've done to your car, someone else will think some of it is "weak". Of that, you can be sure... thats just life. :) But who the hell cares? The important thing is not giving a flying @#$% what anyone else thinks...

PS - That titanium shift knob got taken off the day I brought the car home. Its way too small for my hand... :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the man reason I was posting this is because I see a ton of WRX's with sti badges and no sti parts. So I was just wondering because of that. I know its not rice if you put a mazda speed sticker on your protege', but I do think you should have the parts to back up the name.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with Untouchables last statement here. Alot of the time it's show and no go. You put some STI badges on your car and get beat by a honda civic and they think they beat an STI which isn't in this country yet. But then again what makes a Roush or Saleen Mustang, the add on parts. How many of these parts make the WRX an STI? I wouldn't do it myself because I think it's cheesy, but many people have and will.

By the way Untouchable, just like Roush and TRD, STI makes suspension, engine and dress up parts. Maybe all they had was the fog light covers and springs, is that an STI? Not in my opinion.

Incomplete thought by;
Justin

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.