ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished my transformation of rear in my wrx to a r-180 from a sti. I bought a new assembled rear from subaru for about a grand. It fits right in. Sti axels are needed as they are larger in every way, splines, cv joints-stronger. Had to buy sti spindles, bearings, hubs, and needed a custom drive shaft because my mrt trans is shorter than sti 6speed. I went with a one piece, 3"diameter aluminum from the driveshaft shop. I will test out my rwd with dot drag tires soon (wrinkle wall type). I hope to get some low 1.5s-1.4 in the sixty foot. my car is very extreme for drag racing only. I hope to be in the mid 10s in the 1320'. Front end is very light! i can already pick up my fnt left tire when launching, so why not try rwd? Works for my grand national!

i am a little concerned about the flow of oil in my trans without the front diff. I think that is what circulates the oil in the manual trans. I have spent many hours changing gear ratios in my dog box and repairing other peoples oem trans, and have studied the route the oil takes around the trans. It seems to be a well planned out path with chambers to collect particles, and even little ramps etc. to get fresh oil to everything to keep temps down. We'll see!?

Has anyone broken a r-180 or Sti axels? ESX car had the R160 for years, but recently changed to a bigger one, i think a r-200.

·
6,298 Posts
Although I'm sure you'll catch some flak for even thinking about making the rex a RWD, let alone actually doing it, I like your approach and think anyone who travels the "path less traveled" so to speak, is just paving the road for others.

With that said, I know of at least 2 on this board that have broken shafts. DenniSTi and Happasaiyan. Do a search in the STi forum and you should find their threads.

I'd say it's safe to say that with wrinkle walls and a STi axle, unless you've seriously lightened the car (which it sounds like you have), you do run a risk of breaking it, but then, thats the same for every car. You've obviously got experience with launching, so only time will tell. The STi axle and rear train is better in all respects than the WRX, but it is nowhere near indestrutcable.

Got or gonna have vids or pics of what sounds to be a very nasty RWD scooby? I'd love to see them!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
yep, i broke a rear half shaft. 3rd launch of the day (maybe 10th of all time, 5th at the track)...had HORRIBLE wheelhop, and then it just let go. was able to drive home with the DCCD at lock. with rwd, cant do that ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Im still trying to understand why you would do this.

I dont drag race but I thought the whole thing was that AWD lets you hook up on all 4 wheels, whatever.

anyhow, yes people are already snapping their R180s in stock form so your sure to have trouble trying to send 100% of your power through it, you can pick up R200s out of 300ZXs for around $200, the NAs are 4.25 the turbos are 3.88

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can still get tremendous traction from RWD, lets you run in some other classes, you don't get the weight penalty, and there is LESS likelyhood of breaking parts.

Get a Narrowed 9" from currie, go with a four link, modify the trunk pan to allow for a solid axle, get a custom aluminum driveshaft made and call it a day ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a lot of cars, buick grand national is my favorite.
I can pick up my front left tire on my subaru! So why not just go to rwd? My suby is very light in the front! Without the 30lb front diff and axels to spin, and some true drag tires, I will pick up both wheels!, Most fast drag cars are rwd because of this reason. What good is awd, if the front two tires are in the air?
I know my r180 will not last forever. Nothing on my car does, I have trashed everything at least twice. Thats just part of the game.

·
Registered
270 Posts
turbo2nr said:
i have a lot of cars, buick grand national is my favorite.
I can pick up my front left tire on my subaru! So why not just go to rwd? My suby is very light in the front! Without the 30lb front diff and axels to spin, and some true drag tires, I will pick up both wheels!, Most fast drag cars are rwd because of this reason. What good is awd, if the front two tires are in the air?
I know my r180 will not last forever. Nothing on my car does, I have trashed everything at least twice. Thats just part of the game.
lol you've got alot of power or crappy rear suspension to put 2 wrx/sti wheels in the air... I've had the nose rise, but never off the ground.

Robert~

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, suspension and power play a big roll in launching. I now have soft rear springs and shocks. My car squats about 8" in the rear when I launch. This will help in weight transfer and ease the load on the drive train. Too hard rear springs would be a violent shock to my clutch, axels, etc.
I run a motor torque strap also. Got idea from grand national. I have tried most everything on my suby to get the best combination. I hope I can get some 1.5-1.4 60' times.

·
Registered
236 Posts
StaticX313 said:
lol you've got alot of power or crappy rear suspension ...
I'd say, since its a drag car, that its a rear suspension built for drag racing and a lot of power. Plus with the short wheelbase of the WRX...

I see wanting to do it with a WRX... same reason people do it with RX7's. To compete in the RWD classes at import drags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts