ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max Torque at 4k and max hp at 6k.... so why do we hold shift til redline when we got a full 1k of hp and torque going downhill?

Are there any fixes to this issue? I do feel the midrange power of the Sti. I just don't feel the thing pulling up to redline like my wife's WRX....

:confused:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Who goes to redline in a stock sti? Theres no power above 6k. If you get rid of some cats, intake, and some engine management it has enough power up top to warranty shifting at redline.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for all the quick responses btw, and I apologize if I'm asking some really noob questions. But I thought that the max power and tq is the same for all grears? if not, what rpm is good for what gear (on a stock sti)?

-Mark

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The powerband isnt going to change but gearing affects how much power gets to the ground. Such as in a stock wrx 4th gear is very long compared to 3rd gear so even though a stock wrx is out of its powerband at redline it is better to leave it in 3rd till redline because 4th gears gearing is alot taller so the actual power getting to the ground is greater in 3rd at 6800 then at 5k in 4th gear even though in 4th gear the motor is in the meat of the power band.

So there is more to picking a shift point then looking at the engines power band gearing is also a big factor there are programs and equations for drag racing where you input powerbands, and gear ratios to help you pick the optimal points to get max acceration. But generally I would take 1st to redline since its so short and then shift at 6300-6600 for the rest of the gears possibly take 4th and 5th to redline, would have to experiment to see what felt best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts