ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am from colorado and might have to take my STi on a long road trip to las vegas pretty soon. Its a 700-800 miles to get there . I just want to know have anyone have taken their STi or wrx on a road trip yet and how was the experience with the car? How was the ride like. I still have everything stock on my STi. even the tires. Please give me some suggestion. I dont want to harm my car for this trip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't even own a WRX...yet, but like most cars, you should be fine! Make sure your tires are in good shape, and change your oil before you go....and above all, enjoy Vegas. :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I did a 5 hour road trip around an island if that counts. Some stops here and there. The roads here are punishing so my son took a beating in his car seat. And my back hurt. Oh and by the way, you won't be able to lean your head back against the top of the headrest/seat..... you'll be seeing double after 5 minutes.:D
Other than that..... I don't care if the ride is stiff..... teh turbo more than makes up for it.:cool:

·
Registered
226 Posts
elevation303 said:
Hi i am from colorado and might have to take my STi on a long road trip to las vegas pretty soon. Its a 700-800 miles to get there . I just want to know have anyone have taken their STi or wrx on a road trip yet and how was the experience with the car? How was the ride like. I still have everything stock on my STi. even the tires. Please give me some suggestion. I dont want to harm my car for this trip.
Looks like were in the same situation expect Im moving out to Las Vegas. Its going to be a nice 1,000 mile road trip. :( You might want to invest in some type of car bra or front end protector as trucks and the highway love to put nice chips in your front end.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I took the Rex from Home in Detroit to Sioux City Iowa. About 800 miles. One issue I noticed is gas mileage will suck big time in areas with large hills. There are a lot of rolling hills in Western Iowa and I was seeing only like 22-23 mpg in that area. Every time up a hill you hit boost which of course sucks gas down.

Maybe the STi with the 2.5L will not need boost for hilly areas and you'll be good!

·
Registered
236 Posts
We took our STi from Chicago to Georgia. There weren't any problems, but watch you speed. It's very easy to go 90+ continously without even realizing it. We found out that the highway gas mileage was worse than we thought. Finally, plan on getting there in a shorter amount of time than you plan on. We were aiming for a 12 hour non-stop trip and made it there in 9 hours, including gas stops. If you have stock tires, be careful with the rain, it's really not the best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after i get away from the mountain then i will just might set it on cruise at 85 that would be okay. It will help i guess on mileage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a round trip from Arizona to Ohio, 2160 miles each way. A first time I been driving so far away without _any_ tiredness and problem with my back.
I been driving about 15 hours / 1100 miles per day. No any problem and a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Going to Vegas, you only have to worry about wallet-ass on the way there when you're wallet is fat!:wiggles:

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
wonderspark said:
On I-70 after entering Utah, I ran for about a half hour straight bouncing off the speed limiter at an indicated 155 mph.
:eek:

I'm guessing you went through an entire tank of gas during those 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts