ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2011 STI used it had 7500 miles on it when i picked it up. I now have 20,000 on the car so i changed out the air-filter.
The filter was VERY dirty it was crazy. I have never seen one so bad after 20k. The dude that owned the car prior must had lived on a dirt road.
Anyway after i changed it i noticed that i can hear my bypass valve when i get on the car hard and shift. it almost sounds like a blow-off valve just not as-loud.
Can you guy's hear your bypass valves? sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhppppppppuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
285 Posts
that sound your hearing is most definetly the intake,my thought is since it was so dirty before,it wasnt as pronounced,what filter did you use

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys may be correct, the reason i think it is the bypass is it makes the hissing sound more when i let off the throttle between shifts. I am just using a oem air-filter. I thought about going K&N but i have read on here about guys having to clean their mass air flow sensors all the time from the oil residue.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
you dont have to clean the maf "all the time" .. but should have a look at it when you service the air filter. You should be able to run the K&N without issue though, just make sure when you service it that you dont over-oil it and have a look at the maf from time to time. Even with the factory filters the maf can get dirty. The maf is probably the only sensor on the car you can actually service, so doesn't hurt to do so. maf cleaner is available at any autoparts store. Keep a factory filter around though, I swap that in while I'm servicing the K&N so I dont have the car down or have to rush with cleaning/oiling the K&N.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice i think i will try the K&N. your method of keeping the stock filter around is a good idea.
have you noticed any power gains from the K&N?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
You wont see any noticeable power gains from a drop in filter. What you will see though is that you can save money by servicing the filter instead of spending $20+ for a oem one at the dealer every few oil changes. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts