ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an STI limited and it does a few things that I am a little concerned about. I just wanted to ask you guys if any of these things should be checked out by the dealer or if they are normal.

1) When turning the steering wheel to lock and backing out of a parking space the car sometimes shudders/clunks violently from the front end. It also occasionally happens when I go forward with a locked steering wheel. I am thinking this is probably just the center diff sending too much power to the front wheels in auto mode.

2) when I lock the center diff the car wont even move if I turn the wheel too hard on dry pavement. I think this is normal, but I just want to make sure.

3) There is a little bit of constant vibration when I drive at highway speeds. Nothing too significant, but enough to be noticeable. The tires on the car do have over 6kmiles on them and don't look like they've been rotated, so I think that might explain it.

4) when I apply the brakes when pulling into my garage there s a fairly loud click sound when I first push the pedal. The brakes seem to work great. I just thought this was kind of an odd sound.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I recently bought an STI limited and it does a few things that I am a little concerned about. I just wanted to ask you guys if any of these things should be checked out by the dealer or if they are normal.

1) When turning the steering wheel to lock and backing out of a parking space the car sometimes shudders/clunks violently from the front end. It also occasionally happens when I go forward with a locked steering wheel. I am thinking this is probably just the center diff sending too much power to the front wheels in auto mode.

2) when I lock the center diff the car wont even move if I turn the wheel too hard on dry pavement. I think this is normal, but I just want to make sure.

3) There is a little bit of constant vibration when I drive at highway speeds. Nothing too significant, but enough to be noticeable. The tires on the car do have over 6kmiles on them and don't look like they've been rotated, so I think that might explain it.

4) when I apply the brakes when pulling into my garage there s a fairly loud click sound when I first push the pedal. The brakes seem to work great. I just thought this was kind of an odd sound.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for the help.
1) bad CV joint. Explains #3 too.

What happens when you're going around a turn w/ your foot off the gas?

but i may be wrong for all i know but i may be right... (ok who gets the reference?)

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Everything sounds normal besides # 3. That could be a bad tire, poor alignment, broken rim, or something else.

I'd suggest reading the owners manual as it covers the full lock and the center diff issue you posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts