Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to go to the dealer to get a STI key blank cut for my car or can I take it anywhere?

I thought I read somewhere that you have to go to the dealer to get it cut.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was asking the questions here!

I asked because I thought I read it somewhere here not because I formulated a reason that you would need to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think it matters where you get it done. I got mine done at the dealer mainly because I was going there to pick up some crush washers, they did it for free - or they forgot to charge me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah... Probably doesn't matter where. You could always call a local place up and ask. Dealership would probably charge more than it's worth anyway. Especially mine!
My dealership charges like... $3000 for the TXS Stage 1!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read I think on nasioc that someone was having trouble getting one cut. I took mine to a local lock place and the guy did it in about 30 secs. and it worked perfectly. Charged me 2 bucks.

Tony

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm pretty sure Home Depot does the keys for a good price. Check there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would go to a locksmith not just a place where they put the keys into one of those duplicator machines. I can not tell you how many times it took Wal-mart home depot and the like to get a house key right for me. It would really suck to have them mess up a 25 dollar key.

Tony

·
Registered
291 Posts
Home Depot does it. That's where i got mine done. There's two kind of cutting method. One is manual (they use a machine still to cut but the cutter has to move the cutter by hands) and there's the automated one. The only way they can do it is by manual method. It still only takes about 30 seconds. They guy who did it for me charged me $1.30.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the valuable input everybody! I'll try the local locksmith shop or Home Depot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts