Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my sti hood scoop, unpainted. Do you guys know of any places online that i could just order a spray can of black pearl paint(the black on the 02 wrx), and just do the painting myself? cause i dont really wanna drop 70 bucks on a small piece like that. Unless doing it myself would look like crap. Tell me what u guys think.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You can probably pick it up from any body shop. Just go it and tell them you need a half gallon of paint and give them your VIN. They should be able to match it right up for you.

BTW, I would let a pro handle the painting. It won't cost you much and it'll be soooooooo worth it. Auto painting is an art.

-Jim

·
Registered
295 Posts
PRO's

I'd recommend you getting it done at a profession body shop, matching the Subaru paint on your own is tough. Plus the hood scoop area get REALLY hot, especially for me since I have a black car. That was just my thought....best of luck with whatever route you take...

B

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can probably get a body shop to mix you the paint, please be careful though. Most automotive paints are highly toxic and require the use of a spray booth and a positive pressure respirator (air is pumped to you through a hose). Spraying in your garage is going to release alot of bad organic compounds into the atomosphere. Unfortunately, the best paints are so toxic that if you inhale them (even with a normal respirator, not just a dust mask), you *WILL* die (Imron and other polyurethane enamels). I've done alot of painting, mostly bikes (the two wheel people powered kind), some motorcycle helmets, etc. It's difficult to get a good finish at home, your going to be fighting dust, bugs, etc. And the paints you can use safely (acrylic laquers), simply will not hold up to the environment. Trust me, you're not saving alot of money by doing it yourself.

jb

·
Registered
109 Posts
www.paintscratch.com matches the factory color and will put it in a spray can for you. you just select your car and they give you the factory color codes. they also offer clear coats and i'm pretty sure i've read that the color matches are excellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts