Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Japanese spec STi variable valve heads would fit on a '02 WRX block? I'm thinking of buying a WReX but I'm torn between getting one now and waiting until the STi comes to the States in '04. That would be one of the major upgrades to the engine and if the parts fit I may buy the car now and upgrade it when the STi arrives.

Are there any sites where I can order STi engine components now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The STI will be here in the Spring 2003, probably March so you don't have to wait till 2004. Thats what I have been told by dealers. I am also torn between getting the WRX this summer or waiting for the STI. I think with the 9-10k I will save I can atleast mod it to the performance of a stock STI or greater and maybe even replace the HID's and seats to make it look more like an STI and still have some money left over. I just wish the US version came with atleast the UK seats, I don't care much for the looks of the US stock seats although they are very supportive.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
cyberpuppy42,

I don't reallt think it is feasible to put the STi heads on the WRX, with the cost involved, you may as well save a little more and get the six-speed tranny too. You can get STi parts from Japan, but it helps to be able to read and speak Japanese to purchase things.

Kanos,

You are aware that changing the seat will light an airbag warning light and void the warranty on your Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). I'd like to put Sparcos in my car to support five point harnesses, but I can't justify the warranty loss.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was not aware of that seat issue, thanks for the info. Kinda sucks how changing seats can void a warranty, its not like it will hurt the car or anything. I guess I will just have to live with them until I can afford the STI itself.

Bryan

·
Registered
679 Posts
have you ever done a head swap before (particularily, using two heads of the same family)? It usually isn't hard. The thing is, he'd need the complete heads (probably, unless only certain components could be carried over since we supposedly have the same valvetrain), ECU and that should do it. I don't know the complete list of things, but it is possible. But for the cost, I'd just mod a WRX. The best thing about the STI, IMO, is the tranny. That alone will set you back $8K not counting labor.

If you really want the STI, just wait. If you really want a WRX, get it now. That's what did. In a year or two, there will be something else out. There is always something better out.

-C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kanos - I'd heard about the March '03 release as well until I read a blurb recently in a magazine that talked about the STi not showing up until '04. Perhaps it will be the MY04 model being released early in '03. Anyway, my reason for installing the STi heads would be precisely so I could get the valvetrain that comes with them (variable valve timing, sodium filled exhaust valves, hollow intake valves, etc.). These I could use as a higher starting baseline to modify the vehicle. I was already planning on making extensive mods anyway, but would really like to get a hold of these new heads. That, and the 6-speed tranny, stiffer chassis, etc., etc. I think I'll just wait a bit longer (my current lease runs out Feb '03 anyway).

Platinum - I guess I'm assuming that the block is the same between models, so installing the STi heads on a WRX block would be transparent. Subaru is claiming the STi engine is about 80% different than the WRX, and my guess the only commonality is the block itself (they're also adding new pistons).

Anyway, I've looked at some Japanese sites (the STi site included) and they didn't seem to sell heads or any core engine components. I'll ask a local dealership here to see if they could purchase some of those components from here. I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the replies!:)

·
1,911 Posts
Actually our block and the STi block are quite different. Rods and pistons are different as is the block casting (STi is pinned). The valves are the same however. Yes we do have sodium filled valves. To swap over the the variable valve timing would be extremely difficult since you have to also swap out the mechanism, control electronics and ECU. I say pick up a WRX and then trade it in next year. I personally wanted an STi until I saw the skyline R35 prototype. I now could care less about the STi but then again Nissan has little solid plan as to the R35 as of yet. We'll have to wait and see if I can afford one and whether it will be RB26 powered. I am anxiously waiting.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think I'm going to go to the dealership where I bought my WRX and inquire about the STi. Maybe I can get on the waiting list. I really want one, but what God is saying is true as well: there will always be something faster and better handling right around the corner. It's silly to never get what you want because you are afraid that something better will come along and you could've gotten that. I bought my WRX and I'll be paying for it for 4 to 5 years and I plan to keep it that long. I am very happy with the car and I could care less about the Evo 7 or the new Nissan Z.

My next car is either going to be a convertible or a pickup. I'm thinking a Boxster S or a Chevy Silverado. I'll probably keep my WRX as my winter car/daily driver and use the new vehicle when I want to.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Dan, all signs seem to say that the R35 with have either a VQ35DETT or a NA V8...though I'd like to see a RB26DETT like yourself instead. Then again, what I've heard are just rumours that seem to be floating around...Nissan is consolidating the use of their engines to limit production costs, I would suspect that the RB26 iron block isn't a cheap production being the mucho strong block it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Max Mods

If you are gonna go for max mods anyways, get a WRX and do the closed deck, stroked to 2.2 L thing. Add an upgraded set of gears and you will have something capable of more than the STi. You won't need VVT because you have 2.2 liters to keep some low down grunt that you lost getting max power to end up with a high top end machine with good grunt like the VVT STi heads give. In the bargain, you have more strength in the block being closed deck and tranny. I guess it would depend on how far you are going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Max Mods (re:)

WizardBlackWRX,

My plan was actually to get an STi, then do a 2.2L mod on that and get the added benefits of more displacement and the VVT technology... Since I'd be starting with the (presumably) stronger 6-speed STi tranny, that should give me a significant torque increase over the standard WRX. I'm also looking at many other mods as well to help the engine breathe easier (in and out).

Right now I've decided pretty much to wait for the STi to show up next year, so I've started setting aside the cash I'd need to make that purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
STi heads ARE IN the WRX!

It is my understanding that the WRX and STi already share the same heads and valvetrain assembly; the differences between the engines are based around intake and exhaust configurations as well as piston / con-rod changes (This according to a friend / Subaru mechanic). In addition, there's a cool booklet available at some Subie dealers called "Subaru: The beauty of great press 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX". If you read on the back of the sixth page in the booklet there's an except from an article in the March 2001 Sport Compact Car which confirms that the valvetrains between the WRX and Japanese / Euro STi are identical, allowing for a 7,500 rpm redline with the right mods.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Did you see the WREX4Life was shifting at 8500rpm in his last race again the Diablo. That's sick!

I know our heads are capable of more rpms. I'd like to move my redline to 7500rpm.

-Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
does anyone know what the price is going to be for the sti. also i talked with the dealer the other day and he said that they were not sure if it even coming or not. it has not been cleared or whatever need to happen for it to enter the states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember seeing an article online, somewere and it said that the MSRP for the Sti is $32000.
But the price may change though, you never know what happens in one year.

Good Luck,
Subie WRX

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey guys....
now i m a Stealth TT man, owner but I really like and am trying to learn more about your Rex's...Now, i always thought that the WRX was the same car as the Sti. how are they different?? Thx for any info in advance....

Dav

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WRX vs. STi

Dav,

The WRX is the standard consumer version of Subaru's Rally car (the Subaru WRC which continues to win rally races all over the world). The WRX has been available around the world, but only has shown up in the US. It comes standard with a 227-HP engine and other performance features.

The STi (Subaru Technica Internationale) is the high-performance version of the WRX, and comes with a 280-HP engine and a lot of other performance features above the stock WRX (suspension, transmission, exhaust, variable-valve intake, etc.). As a point of comparison, the differences between the two models are like the differences you find between a normal Honda Civic and a Civic Si-R.

The STi will (hopefully) be released to the US as a 2004 model in 2003 in limited quantity (about 1,000!), and should be competing at that time with the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII and other rally-bred performance vehicles.

Hope this answers your question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts