ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my car to the dealership today, for an oil change. For the first time, they wrote to come back in 3500 miles rather then 7,500. So I figure 'This should go smooth as hell since I was just there 3k miles ago, and it's the first time they wrote down the CORRECT oil change interval. But nope. Turns out, 1 bolt on each side of the rear axle is stripped.... How does this make any sense? I mean, I don't know much about cars or engineering, but I'm shocked that they would use weak enough metal that I had no idea the bolt was even going on ****-eyed. It screwed right on perfectly, which makes me wonder if the thread had gotten stripped before that and it was just following its own pattern?

I got this car, and yes I admit I beat on it pretty hard because I didn't know much about cars and I treated it like Subaru advertised it. It started to get problems, and I quickly was slapped into shape and started treating the car right, with much respect and knowing that How I treated it was how it was going to treat me in return. I now treat the car with respect, no longer bring it onto grass fields or gravel paths, but stuff still seems to be breaking and going wrong. Now that I think about it, those getting stripped had nothing to do with driving, would have just been me rushing to screw the bolt on or whatever, but I really want this car to last me a good 6-7 years, and I do not want to be constantly replacing parts. When I get the car back tomorrow, I'm crawling up under it, completely cleaning the underneath of it, then treating it like a 1 mil show car

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
The only reason to remove these bolts are to rebuild the Diff or install a larger rear diff cover.
I don't get it.

Btw, it's made of aluminum. It does than when you're doing it wrong.
yea, yuo can almost weld aluminum pieces together by over finger tightening them lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I brought my car to the dealership today, for an oil change. For the first time, they wrote to come back in 3500 miles rather then 7,500. So I figure 'This should go smooth as hell since I was just there 3k miles ago, and it's the first time they wrote down the CORRECT oil change interval. But nope. Turns out, 1 bolt on each side of the rear axle is stripped.... How does this make any sense? I mean, I don't know much about cars or engineering, but I'm shocked that they would use weak enough metal that I had no idea the bolt was even going on ****-eyed. It screwed right on perfectly, which makes me wonder if the thread had gotten stripped before that and it was just following its own pattern?
Sorry if I'm not reading this and comprehending correctly... but they want you to return in 3500 miles in order to check on that stripped bolt?

And also, what the other guys said.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

I got this car, and yes I admit I beat on it pretty hard because I didn't know much about cars and I treated it like Subaru advertised it. It started to get problems, and I quickly was slapped into shape and started treating the car right, with much respect and knowing that How I treated it was how it was going to treat me in return. I now treat the car with respect, no longer bring it onto grass fields or gravel paths, but stuff still seems to be breaking and going wrong. Now that I think about it, those getting stripped had nothing to do with driving, would have just been me rushing to screw the bolt on or whatever, but I really want this car to last me a good 6-7 years, and I do not want to be constantly replacing parts. When I get the car back tomorrow, I'm crawling up under it, completely cleaning the underneath of it, then treating it like a 1 mil show car
Why did they need to loosen a rear axle bolt to change the oil? :screwy: :confused:

That makes about as much sense as pulling the stereo to bleed the brakes...

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
I feel like this dealership is trying to take advantage of you or something.

It's always something different from them man.

·
Registered
750 Posts
misunderstanding. they are rear-hub bolt's and I had to remove the tires to put the rear mudflaps on
Did you happen to use a torque wrench to torque them correctly when installing the wheels(should be ~72.5ft/lbs)? It's very easy to over torque those nuts/bolts with a decent size breaker bar. People tend to over torque them when not using a torque wrench to make sure not to have the wheels fly off when driving. Over torquing them is bad for the bolts/nuts(as you just found out) and wheels especially if you have the expensive BBS wheels.

This is the first time I've heard of the bolt stripping. They usually break off before stripping.

Maybe its a little late now, but I would highly recommend torque wrench in the future when you decide to do work yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts