Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While patiently waiting for my new STi, I am thinking about the 0-60 times. I am wondering how the new 6 speed tranny and the gear ratios will factor into the 0-60 times. My current 02 WRX can easily hit 60 in 2nd gear (red line in 2nd is 68 mph). According to my calculations, the 04 STi should require another gear change to hit 60 (red line in 2nd being 56 mph).

I know that there is plenty of speculation about 0-60 times, but most seem to say mid-high 4.x If this is true, and an additional shift is necessary, it would equate to some pretty dramatic increases in accelleration! Any thoughts or input?

Variables used in calulating:
STi: 1st gear 3.636, 2nd gear 2.375, final drive 3.9 red line 7000.
WRX: 1st gear 3.454, 2nd gear 1.947, final drive 3.9 red line 7000.
Tire diameter for both: 24.97

PS: The 2nd gear in the 6 speed should be much more "track friendly" than the 2nd gear of the WRX!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
You could be correct. The UK STI-8 (which only comes with 265 bhp but has the same 6 speed gear box and ratio as the USA STI, I think) can only reach 56mph in 2 nd gear, thus making the 0-60 time not very impressive ( I think it was tested at low 5's).

On the other hand my JDM STI-7 with a 8,000 rpm redline hits 60 mph with ease in 2nd gear :D

Cheers,
Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
can someone post the max speeds in each gear for me?

It looks like the Sti gear box would be better for the regular WRX and vice versa?!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,832 Posts
Whoah, so the 0.2-0.4 seconds that it takes to shift adds that much time to the 0-60 time, meaning that a slightly longer 2nd gear in the 6-speed would drop the STi 0-60mph time to just over 4 seconds. Woo! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Gear ratios, speed, tire size

Here's a spreadsheet that is a collage of others work and mine too. Hope it helps. Referenece tire(first column), reference speed, and reference RPM can all be changed. Keep in mind the RPM and speed limitations of car. Hope it helps!!! Any questions, just let me know. It's in ZIP format...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,308 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier, and wondered if just putting a higher aspect tire (taller) on the car, maybe that would kick it to just over 60 MPH in 2nd.

BTW..I did not see an attachement for a spreadsheet. Would love to have that tool.

thanks,
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
This spreadsheet (should I ever get it out there), actually has the speed that you'd be going based on a reference tire and the changing of the tire size. So if you change anything about the tire size, it will be reflected. Your speedo will say one thing but car will actually be doing another. It's all out there, just don't know how to get it to you guys. New at the attachment/link game!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

David -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
kit99bar said:
can someone post the max speeds in each gear for me?

It looks like the Sti gear box would be better for the regular WRX and vice versa?!
This is purely from my head.
1st - 35mph
2nd - 55mph
3rd- 75 mph
4th - 95mph
5th - 135mph
6th - 148- 155mph- depending on fuel cut. Some cars are set higher than others.

These numbers may be slightly off due to my lack of memory.:)

The best part about the STi's 6 speed is 2nd gear. You can downshift going around a turn at really slow speeds 5-10mph and the car hauls butt. In a WRX 2nd gear has absolutely no power at 10mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Gear ratio, RPM and speed

Here's number's at 7000 RPMs with Stock STI tires (225/45/17) -

1st gear - 37 mph
2nd gear - 56 mph
3rd gear - 76 mph
4th gear - 99 mph
5th gear - 137 mph
6th gear - 176 (theoretically)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
YBNormal07 said:
I was thinking about this earlier, and wondered if just putting a higher aspect tire (taller) on the car, maybe that would kick it to just over 60 MPH in 2nd.

BTW..I did not see an attachement for a spreadsheet. Would love to have that tool.

thanks,
Scott
Options at 17" tires -

1 - 245/50/17
2 - 275/45/17
3 - 305/40/17

Options at 16" tires -

1 - 245/55/16

These would put you at 60 MPHs in 2nd gear at 7000 RPMs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
C&D Evo v. STi article states in plain form that an extra shift is required reach 60mph.

Why is this an important statistic to anyone but a car magazine anyway?

1/8 and 1/4 are more important to me.

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
1/4 times are affected to.....

i have to shift in to 5th before the end of the 1/4.....and the evo ends in 4th....

thats an extra half a second ontop of what it could be.....:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Speed = (RPM*SLR) / (rear axle ratio*168)

RPM is obvious...
SLR is Static Loaded tyre Radius.
Rear axle ratio is final drive*gear ratio.
168 takes Pi into account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
KrisWRX said:
1/4 times are affected to.....

i have to shift in to 5th before the end of the 1/4.....and the evo ends in 4th....

thats an extra half a second ontop of what it could be.....:(
You must shift REALLY slow. HALF a second is an eternity in the 1/4 mile.

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I could see 1 shift causeing almost .5 seconds.

consider the time it takes for the engine to start pulling again and everything. .3 seconds at least. think about it!

PlatinumWRX said:
You must shift REALLY slow. HALF a second is an eternity in the 1/4 mile.

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
kit99bar said:
I could see 1 shift causeing almost .5 seconds.

consider the time it takes for the engine to start pulling again and everything. .3 seconds at least. think about it!
You need to ride with me or Chris sometime. I can shift my WRX so fast, people have said they never saw my hand move from my knee. A good drag shift only takes the engine out of the equation for meer tenths, not half a second.

-Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,308 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
You need to ride with me or Chris sometime. I can shift my WRX so fast, people have said they never saw my hand move from my knee. A good drag shift only takes the engine out of the equation for meer tenths, not half a second.

-Jim
I concur!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I can shift my WRX so fast, people have said they never saw my hand move from my knee.
Jim has real ultimate power :p
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top