ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

that's all i got to say.
so i saw this on ebay and this guy setup a private auction for me. he's in france and he says that he really needs money for his mortage and that's why he's letting it go. and that it would cost him just as much to register the car in france. does this sound fishy to you? i mean ebay has insurance on buying cars and **** but damn $8500 for an STI that's like stealing the car. should i just go through with this or do you guys think this is just scam. but then again i'm protected by ebay. title comes back clear and registered in PA, but he just shipped it to france there for the register fee. but i just dont' know if i should take the pludge. i would probably be sh*tting in my pants for a week waiting for this if i went through with this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL HHAHAA :tongue: :wiggles: :tongue: :wiggles: :tongue: :wiggles: :tongue: :wiggles: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Banned
30 Posts
hmm well this is a little different but a few months ago there was this oraganization kinda thing i forget the name this is for dirt bikes they would e-mail you saying htere interested and they would say there from africa europe japan canada etc. and they would give you a fake travlers check i believe take your bike and your stuck witha check you can't cahs so you basically got jacked. thats way diff though but i think it might be a scam or a really dumb guy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mean man this is like ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crazy deal. if it were to be true. i mean you can't even buy the engine for that price now for hte whole car? man that's crazy i have a wrx now and would probably keep the wrx and just make money off the sti and sell it for triple that price if not more. anyway i'm just oging to forget about it and keep my $8000 snug in my pocket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
STAY AWAY!!!! It's the newest version of the Nigerian scam. I came across a 2004 Lexus SC430 for $24,000 a couple of months ago on craigslist.org and it's the same scenario. I got excited about that one because used ones are going for $50k+

Same story as yours, this dumbass was saying it was too expensive to register the vehicle in London and was willing to ship it to me in Oregon. Yeah, right, "i can't afford to register my car for $1000, but I'll take a $25,000 bath on selling it. Forest Gump, anyone?"

So think about this, why would somebody

A. Sell a car half way around the world when they could sell it in their own country?
B. Sell a car of a mere third of what the vehicle is worth, just becuase the registration is $1000 or they can't afford their mortgage for the month?
C. Wouldn't just take the vehicle to a dealership, be it in France, England, US, or wherever he/she lives and have the dealership purchase it for wholesale value, if that person needed the money that badly?
D. Do a private auction for one person, when they could Ebay it to the whole world and sell it to the highest bidder.

Bottom line, STAY AWAY!!!! report it to Ebay as a scam.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Its a scam. I have been looking for a supra and every other supra I come across is in france and they want 6500 dollars for a supra that is totally modded. So what I did cause I got tired of trying to find a car and these people trying to rip me off I turned it in to ebay and went back the next day to see if the car was still listed and it wasnt. So there are tons of those scam people on ebay. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i basically told the guy to f*ck off. i was like you'll be losing a lot of money on shipping then if it's shipped to my house. it'll cost at least 2 grand and i was asking him basically every little detail i can and he just stopped contacting me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
didn't know people post actual cases. i was just letting people know. sorry for wasting all your time and what's there to LOL at "proctected by ebay". all ebay motors purchases are insured by an insurance company which covers up to $20k in money if the vehical is not present or misrepresented by the seller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
no worries, you didn't waste my time, cause that scam caught me off guard a couple of months ago, as well. before that, i didn't know it was a scam. it's better to post your experience, so others will know instead of them finding out like you and i did.

·
Registered
677 Posts
ALso beware of Autotrader. When I was looking on there for cars a while back there were people selling Supras, STis, RX-7s, etc for 6 or 7000. I emailed the guy about the STi to ask if the car was stolen and got the message that he was in Italy and needed a 50% deposit on the car before he could ship it. Then I tried the Supra and got the exact same message back but from a different email address.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts