Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone pleasetell me whatisthe different between our stock wrx flywheel/clutch and JDM STI's?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The STi clutch supposedly has ~25% more clamping force than the regular WRX and the flywheel is about 10 lbs. lighter than it's stock counterpart (16lbs. vs. 26lbs).

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
I've been exploring this (w/o too much success I might add) also. I know Exedy makes clutchs and flywheels for FHI, where it gets fuzzy if there is a duplicate of the STi line in the Exedy line. I've been considering the STi clutch (RA) rated at 850 kgf, its segmented kevlar- is there a duplicate in the Exedy line? I'm also looking at the STi flywheel- 5.5 kg, 11.8 lbs, heres a pic:

Is there a duplicate in Exedy's line? I'm all for saving $, but want to make sure we're comparing apples w/ apples.

Big Sky

·
1,911 Posts
The flywheel is same same but the clutch no they do not have a segmented kevlar clutch. Wow, I had no idea Sti used something like that? I use segmented carbon which is the best clutch I have found for extreme power applications but the ATS carbon clutch is a bit much for milder setups I think. The exedy is just an organic clutch with an 850kg presure plate.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
The STi one is organic too, I think there is probably just a small amount of kevlar in them (guess). It's suspicous that they are both 850 kg, maybe they are the same. Here's the description of the STi one

RST-1000kit STi Fast Road Clutch Kit
Complete clutch kit includes: 230mm STi organic clutch disc, 850kgf STi RA pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment tool. Provides more positive clutch engagement and higher torque capacity for lightly tuned engines. Segmented kevlar clutch disc withstands higher temperatures then stock while maintaining smooth clutch engagement.
Impreza WRX w/ 5MT Gearbox -- $498

What's the Exedy clutch/flywheel run?

Thanks

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Also found (not 100% sure of accuracy) that they list oe flywheel (GC8,GDA,GGA) as 10.5 kg (23.1 lbs), the oe STi v7 as 8.6 kg (19lbs). Any ideas w/ the v5,6's weigh? I'm guessing they would be a direct fit for ours?

Big Sky

·
Registered
1 Posts
STI Clutch and Flywheel install

I am getting the STI clutch and flywheel installed on my car as we speak. It should be done by Friday!!! I cannot wait!! My buddy, who is a tech at the Subaru dealer told me that the WRX flywheel is 28lbs, whereas the STI flywheel is 12lbs. Clutch is $650, flywheel $600. I am anxious to see how the bite is on the new clutch. My dad has the STI and I can say that the feel of that clutch is awesome, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone needs info I can talk to my friend on the clutch questions and get some answers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts