Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,450 Posts
This is terrible news. The less Imprezas are associated with that truly dreadful franchise, the better off I think we'll all be in terms of insurance rates and idiocy:usefulness ratio on all the Subaru websites too.

I've seen better drama on The Benny Hill Show and I blame our schools and parents for generating an audience for this stuff, now in its 8th (?!) incarnation.

· Registered
905 Posts
I agree with all of SD's statements!
However, I have to ask....
F&F8 is being filmed in Connecticut?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it was just a YouTube rabbit hole I fell into. I think the video had the STI filming in Iceland

Also, yes the fast and furious franchise is ridiculous. But it knows how insane it is and is embrasing the lunacy. It's really just a series of excuses for stunt scenes. They really turned the franchise around white 5 ignoring any frame of reality. My friends and I were laughing so hard throughout 7 and I think that was the intent despite not being a comedy.

I have always wondered if there are statistics for increasing accidents leaving FF showings. :)

· I Drink & I Know Things
2,532 Posts
This is terrible news. The less Imprezas are associated with that truly dreadful franchise, the better off I think we'll all be in terms of insurance rates and idiocy:usefulness ratio on all the Subaru websites too.

I've seen better drama on The Benny Hill Show and I blame our schools and parents for generating an audience for this stuff, now in its 8th (?!) incarnation.
Buckle up! I believe they signed another 3 at once. There is an 8, 9, 10 for sure if I remember correctly. It's a guilty pleasure...I've seen them all. I'll generally watch anything with some action and cars in it. They're good for a rainy Saturday or crappy winter weekend.

30,450 Posts
From what I've seen golfers don't dress as silly as the fast furious people. I think golf would be much better if there were more firms (hooligans). I'd much rather drive one of those Oldsmobiles or Buicks they'd give away at US golf tournaments than any car I've seen from fast and furious movies, including -- or perhaps even especially -- the mutated Subarus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbhrHnNf97s

· Registered
768 Posts
Curious what movies or TV shows WOULD motivate us to want to get a certain car or drive like a maniac.

I would mention these oldies but goodies:

Eat My Dust, with a young Ron Howard. Ford Fairlane.

2-Lane Blacktop with James Taylor and Dennis Wilson. Yes, the musicians. '55 Chevy.

Bullitt. Super ad for the '68 Ford Mustang 390 GT.

James Bond. Of course the Aston-Martin.

Drive. Makes me want to get an '06 Impala and drop a new engine into it. And drive.

· Registered
738 Posts
The fast and the furious #1 wasn't bad, probably the best of them. The new fast and furious movies however have just became a joke. Its still a tradition with me and my buddy to watch the fast and the furious once a year because we grew up thinking he was Dom and I was brian haha.

· Registered
905 Posts
Ronin

30,450 Posts
Please.

The best chase scene is from La Casse.

Omar Sharif vs. Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Fiat 124 vs. Opel Rekord.

Many of the smaller streets are now (wisely!) one-way, but some remain full traffic. The train station underpass us now a fancy metro but I've walked those stairs! The church and theatre are still there.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/07pUxiaxkP4

· Registered
905 Posts
^ Oh, that was sarcasm....

30,450 Posts
Now that I think of it, La Casse also had a bus chase scene that reminded me a bit of what Steve McQueen did in Chicago on the L train a decade later in The Hunter, which of course also starred the great LeVar Burton. La Casse did all this stuff earlier, and for my money at least, better.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BP8HJY/jean-paul-belmondo-the-burglars-le-casse-1971-BP8HJY.jpg

Those buses were retired by the early 80s but I remember the style vaguely. They had a rear kiosk inside for a fare collector, I think -- but the blue used reminds me of the intercity lines rather than urban (local) lines, so I'm confused.

The Hilton is, of couse, still there, and still that creamy/white/smog colour.

To wit, regarding La Casse being better to subsequent chase/action/caper films: There is the dining scene in La Casse between Jean-Paul Belmondo and Omar Sharif that predates the coffee house scene between Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in Heat by roughly 25 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJogB7byEs

In fact upon closer examination I suspect most action movies made since, at least in the US, including stuff like The Rock and the entire "furious" series, owe a lot to La Casse.

So I recommend simply watching La Casse instead.

/furious

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
Say what you will, but F&F is the main reason I'm a gear head. IT came at the perfect time in my life to get me really into cars.

30,450 Posts
It must be a generation thing then I suppose.

I initially found the "furious" series puerile and tasteless, but having had time to reflect I think I was being kind.

To each their own. I won't be taking up a seat in any theatre so some other lucky guy will get to see the movie.

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Curious what movies or TV shows WOULD motivate us to want to get a certain car or drive like a maniac.
Italian Job, original or Marky Mark remake (Probably part of the reason I had an r53 mini.)
Borne identity (mini trend here)

ronin seconded, (s8 was a little big for me I wanted the RS at the time)

I guess ff1 made me want a supra a little. I always hated those 7speed Eclipses though

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.