Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I am out washing/waxing the WRX and thinking about my likes/dislikes on the STi when I realized something:

If you are going to buy an STi I think SOA should include in the price a 2 day driving school session, at SOA headquarters using their cars. This would include paved/non-paved track sessions with professional driving instructors.

The STi is a special vehicle so why not welcome a new owner with such a program. It would provide them with additional insight on how to properly drive the STi, utilize it's safety features & special functions, and promote the art of "driving".

BMW offers a similar school when you a M3, M5 (which I attended as a guest) or Z8. They do a spectacular job with their program and I think SOA needs to step-up to the plate in the same manner. The STi may provide the impetus for this. It would even be cool to make the school an option on the WRX or any Subaru product (along with delivery of the new vehicle at SOA headquarters if the prideful new owner chooses).

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Outstanding idea. Almost bought the BMW for that very reason a few years back and then decided to wait for the STI. My problem is that my car will probably be here long before we can get SOA to change their standard operating procedures, but I'm all for trying. If you have any ideas of how to get the idea to them count me in. I can always go to a session later on if they create one. Your right though, with a car with as many features as the STI and the dealers as in the dark as they are, 2 day sessions would be great. I would even take my own car. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, etc. are all fine driving schools they do not typically use AWD vehicles (especially STi's). If I am going to buy a manufacturer's top-of-the line performance vehicle I would like to attend a driving school sponsored by the manufacturer that teaches how to drive the vehicle in demanding conditions and utilize it's special functions like the Driver Adjustable Differential.

It would also allow SOA to promote their other products and may even help them on the legal side. I can just picture the following conversation:

Plantiff attorney: "SOA were you aware that you sold a 300hp, street legal rally car to my 16 year-old client without providing any special driving instructions before he/she put the car off the road at 120mph sideways into a tree at 2:00am on the way home from a church social?"

SOA: "Uh, yes"

Jury: "10 million dollars punitive damages!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to run a search on the driving school aroung NY area cause i wanted to take lessons for a long time now.

I didnt know that they offered lessons with the M3, M5, or z8.... this is a great idea and i am all for it if subaru would take step in this dirrection!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wonder how many clutches they would burn through and trannies blown from teaching how to get that 4.8 second 0-60. It's a pretty good idea though. But then, why not also offer Japanese delivery and just run your car on their track there? I guess the whole RHD thing in Japan makes it difficult.

Basically, a Subaru rally school would be pretty cool- dirt and tarmac. Maybe there will become more rally schools as the sport gets more popular.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TexasWRX said:
While Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, etc. are all fine driving schools they do not typically use AWD vehicles (especially STi's). If I am going to buy a manufacturer's top-of-the line performance vehicle I would like to attend a driving school sponsored by the manufacturer that teaches how to drive the vehicle in demanding conditions and utilize it's special functions like the Driver Adjustable Differential.

It would also allow SOA to promote their other products and may even help them on the legal side. I can just picture the following conversation:

Plantiff attorney: "SOA were you aware that you sold a 300hp, street legal rally car to my 16 year-old client without providing any special driving instructions before he/she put the car off the road at 120mph sideways into a tree at 2:00am on the way home from a church social?"

SOA: "Uh, yes"

Jury: "10 million dollars punitive damages!"
I know that your just kidding around but how can a manufacturer be, in anyway, liable for the irresponsible actions of its customers? I’m sure that some people could find a way to off themselves with toothpaste but it’s not reasonable to blame Crest for being the unwilling participant in the realization of Darwin’s theory.

·
Registered
69 Posts
TexasWRX, that's an awesome idea. If they started offering that with a purchase of an STi, I would buy one for sure! (even though I can't afford one :rolleyes: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts