Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought a 2006 sti today and have been driving it and its been running fine ive started and shut it off numerous times but on my way home i saw my neighbour so i shut off my car and talked to him for about 5 to 10 mins after we were done talking i went to start my car it turned over fine started but then just died it happened several times it just kept dieing the second it started i eventually just let my car sit for 10 mins because i didn't want it to flood the engine after letting it sit it started back up fine does anyone know what exactly could be the cause of this the engine wasnt overheated or anything the guy i also bought it from put gas in it before he sold it to me just half a tank could it be possible that he cheaped out on getting premium fuel? also it is winter here right now and -26 outside

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Did you get any codes? It's hard to diagnose this problem just based on you saying it wouldn't start, then did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope no codes absolutely nothing once i got it started i went to the gas station filled it up full and added that antifreeze meant for the gas and so far ive had no problems so i think it might just be a one time thing that happened

·
Registered
116 Posts
was the engine cold or was it hot? sometimes if you start a car cold and drive it for a short period of time and shut it off before warmed up there can be some unburned fuel left sitting in the comb chamber from running rich so when you go to start it its basically flooded, after sitting for a while the fuel vaporizes/goes down into the crankcase so itll start fine... this is particularly common in cold weather

if the engine was extra hot from say a hard run and was shut off right away the fuel in the lines in the engine bay could boil causing air pockets to appear which could cause stalling problems untill the air pockets were purged out... this is more common in hot weather

both of these issues could be magnified by old plugs with excessively large gaps and neither would illuminate the engine light

-Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think you might be right about all that stuff and thats what happened because i did rip it in first gear to turn around then parked and shut my car off. after reading that from you im sure thats what has happened thanks alex

·
Registered
116 Posts
if it hasn't had a tune up i'd say it could use one! mainly if driven hard these cars benefit from tune ups before the specified times... after all its not like you're out a gino or anything so its little money well spent

but yeah every now and then my car takes longer than usual to start and it usually coincides with one of the above mentioned scenarios or something similar so unless it happens often dont wory about it

-Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It happened again today I was highway driving for about a hour 6th gear 2k rpms then went to the car wash washed my car and same thing happened it started and died had to wait for 10 mins before it started again. Also how much roughly would a tune up cost and what exactly do they tune up on the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts