Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the factory brakes off an sti would work on my 14 impreza? Would be pretty cool to put a factory brembo kit on.

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah maybe, but everyone has their own opinion on what is a waste of money. If anyone knows if this works, and or what year wrx or sti would work, let me know thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
No, it's a universal definition some folks just like to play make believe.

The only rotor that will bolt up to the 5x100 is the 04 sti rotors and nothing at all from the STI will bolt to the rear that I can find.

That means you'll probably have to swap the hubs, knuckles, arms, maybe the strut depending, the cv joints which means non sti brembos are likely cheaper.

·
Æternum
15,935 Posts
Yeah maybe, but everyone has their own opinion on what is a waste of money. If anyone knows if this works, and or what year wrx or sti would work, let me know thanks!
Yeah but this is definitely a waste of money.

Reactions: a5m

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Your car looks fine as it is. You took a factory Impreza and made it look somewhat sporty. Keep it that way. Don't pretend it actually 'is' sporty. I don't think any additional money you can put into the car will make it look any better than it does right now. Eventually, you really are pissing in the wind. Call it "mission accomplished" and save your money until you're ready to move on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe paint your calipers and clean up your rotors if the look it was you are after. You can buy some aftermarket (non brembo) brake kits but if the factory brakes are in good shape they should be plenty good enough for every day driving functionality wise.

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, well the main reason is I'm going to need pads and rotors all around very soon, just figured I'd upgrade

·
Æternum
15,935 Posts
Yeah, well the main reason is I'm going to need pads and rotors all around very soon, just figured I'd upgrade
lol Pads and Rotors for sliding caliper brakes are ~ $150.

Pads and Rotors for Brembos are ~$750.

"Upgrade" is relative. Your car isn't built for the track so the sliding calipers are more than adequate. Why spend the insane money moving forward?

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I wasn't planning on spending alot of money, the plan was to figure out what would work, and go find a wrecked one to salvage parts off of

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol, well hey, I just thought it was a cool idea if feasible, but obviously its not, so boring oem brakes it is. May paint the calipers gold tho.. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Lol, well hey, I just thought it was a cool idea if feasible, but obviously its not, so boring oem brakes it is. May paint the calipers gold tho.. lol
The right pads, rotors and SS brake lines you will have incredible brakes that don't cost you huge amounts of money to maintain.

Avoid slotted and drilled rotors, find a pad with a street sport heat range for the best bite and fade resistance for street driving. Ebc, stoptech and several others should offer pads. Centric rotors are my preferred.

·
Æternum
15,935 Posts
so boring oem brakes it is
Brakes are not meant to be exciting or boring. Brakes are meant to haul the car to a stop.

To me, the best engineered solution is the most cost effective for the job its tasked to perform. A base Impreza tasked with "normal" driving will not demand more from the braking system than it is already designed to provide.

·
Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brakes are not meant to be exciting or boring. Brakes are meant to haul the car to a stop.

To me, the best engineered solution is the most cost effective for the job its tasked to perform. A base Impreza tasked with "normal" driving will not demand more from the braking system than it is already designed to provide.
Did I fail to mention I will be doing some autocross with this car next season? Also I ment boring as boring "looking".

·
Æternum
15,935 Posts
Did I fail to mention I will be doing some autocross with this car next season? Also I ment boring as boring "looking".
Autocross isn't particularly demanding on brakes.

The runs are typically under 60 seconds with speeds < 60mph.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts