Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 04 STI which now has 2500 miles on it. Around 1800 miles, the brakes on the front right passenger side started making a very loud squeal only when backing up. I took it to the dealer who said that this is normal for this car and all they did was scuff up the pads for me. It lasted for about 5 miles before the squeal came back.
The squeal continued and again, only in reverse. It now has 2500 miles and I took it back again. They claim they called Subuaru of North America and that this is normal becuase of the type of brakes the STI has. I said, why is it that the only brake making this loud squeal it the front right one and not the other three ?
They said nothing they can do about it and I have to live with it.
So, is this normal ? Is anyone else experiencing this with their STI ?

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
It is very normal for high performance brakes like our Brembos to squeal. Mine does it, and I've heard others do it. A few cars I've converted brakes on also did it. I just look at it as a sign of announcing to those in the know that yep, these are major brakes baby!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It squeals because they arnt cross drilled. so the dust gets under them which causes them to squeal... Cross Drilled helps them cool faster and gets the dust outa the way :) MOST the High Perf Breaks are X-Drilled and they DONT squeal...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I LOVE THOSE BREMBOS

Welcome to the world of high performance Brembos. You know they are really working when they squeal....lol. No really this is normal all Brembos do it especially when 12.7" in front and 12.3" in back.

Matt

·
Registered
279 Posts
Funny. Mine don't squeal at all. They just dust like there is no tomorrow. (The dust is normal.) I have 11,000 miles on the car, but I did break them in hard. A week after I bought the car I spent 2 days running Solo II. Doesn't burn any oil either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SQWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.....:eek: :confused: :( :mad: :D normal!!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
faet said:
It squeals because they arnt cross drilled. so the dust gets under them which causes them to squeal... Cross Drilled helps them cool faster and gets the dust outa the way :) MOST the High Perf Breaks are X-Drilled and they DONT squeal...
Uh, not really. Hig performance cross drilled and slotted brake rotors can in fact squeal. This is more by fact of the pad itself than the rotor.

Someone mentioned something about squeal when they are really working....usually brakes will squeal or make a scratchy sound when the brakes are warming up and will cease(or do to a lesser extent) to squeal once heated and coming down a hot lap.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
schischwein said:
Uh, not really. Hig performance cross drilled and slotted brake rotors can in fact squeal. This is more by fact of the pad itself than the rotor.

Someone mentioned something about squeal when they are really working....usually brakes will squeal or make a scratchy sound when the brakes are warming up and will cease(or do to a lesser extent) to squeal once heated and coming down a hot lap.
This has been my experience with high performance brakes, including x-drilled, slotted, and flat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
schischwein said:

I think they are talkin about ALL the time not just warming up... SOME breaks might when cold... but ive never heard of them squealing when they have been warmed up.. Of the cars we have had, NONE of the breaks Squealed, warm or cold... and we used them HARD. But as u said, its prolly the material in the pads...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts