ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THREAD SPLIT FROM SEPARATE DISCUSSION

-dR

Well the stock STI filter is oiled, so I doubt a factory oiled K&N would be any more likely to mess up the MAF. I think the legend is that some folks who have K&N filters do a bad job at cleaning/oiling and hence why you hear the stories of K&N messing up the MAF.

I've done long term use (as in many years and many thousands of miles) with K&N filters in various cars (including race cars) and they have not "messed" up the MAF at all.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
V8VENOM said:
I've done long term use (as in many years and many thousands of miles) with K&N filters in various cars (including race cars) and they have not "messed" up the MAF at all.
there are numerous threads on nabisco and a few here on clubWRX on this. the oil on the MAF issue is actually quite common.

whether it's due to over oiling or not, it's something that's grabbed a lot of attention of aftermarket air filter users.

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
stock filter in STi

V8VENOM said:
Well the stock STI filter is oiled, so I doubt a factory oiled K&N would be any more likely to mess up the MAF.

The stock filter in the STi is NOT oiled, according to SOA

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your inquiry. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

I've spoken with our Technical Services Staff and was advised that none of the air filters in Subaru vehicles are pre-oiled (or oiled), as this may cause damage to the vehicle.

I hope this information is helpful to you, but should you have further questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist you further.

Best Wishes,

Natalie Cox
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer Dealer Services

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well SOA are mistaken, I can show you pictures of my stock filter and the factory replacement -- both are oiled.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
V8VENOM said:
Well SOA are mistaken, I can show you pictures of my stock filter and the factory replacement -- both are oiled.
This drop-in replacement air cleaner element allows a higher volume of airflow versus the stock air filter. Paper element and steel mesh construction does not require oiling (which can harm MAF sensors).
www.subaruwrxparts.com must be wrong too. the filter element is paper and mesh. you wouldn't oil paper filters.

dR

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ditto, that filter is not what was in my STI -- I believe Subaru offer that filter for $90+ and I have no idea if it is oiled or not as I wasn't going to spend $90 on a filter. The stock STI filter is a paper element that IS oiled.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
afpdl said:
Dark rex most paper filters are oiled. And that pic of an sti filter is not what comes in the sti.
That's simply NOT true. I've sold autoparts since i was able to work the counter, and my family has owned auto parts stores for 50 years. Wix, Pro-Tec, Fram and all the other major filter manufactures use paper that is NOT oiled.

typically, oiled aftermarket filters are made of cotton, or some other proprietary fabric (foam, SS mesh etc.) K&N for example uses cotton. Blitz uses a SS mesh.

disposable replacement filters are typically paper, and NOT oiled. the filter above lists for $55 and is sold by subaru, FYI.

The factory filters for the WRX are NOT oiled (paper) according to SOA (and many resellers), same goes for the STi. your arguement would be much more valuable if you had some back up, however it seems the only person providing data here is me.

dR

[edited for speelign]

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My data is the stock filter had an oily substance on it on both my wrx and sti.

Either way who cares, what does it have to do with anything. Clean your maf regularly and it wont matter anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll get you some pics tonight.

DR - have you actually replaced the stock STI filter? If not, then want is YOUR data based on? Numbers, pictures, what SOA say? Are you saying I should NOT believe my eyes? What's up with you? Or is this another "whatever" situation for you?

$55 your list price for a reseller maybe? But from a Subaru dealership it is $89.95 (price as of 4 months ago) -- I rounded to $90.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
not sure what you mean by "whatever situation" but i don't think that's what it is for me.

:confused:

i'm not bucking you for any reason but that SOA contradicts you, and it's highly uncommon to have an oiled filter from the facory due to MAF issues.

also, it's even more unorthodox to oil a paper filter.

look forward to the pics.

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
afpdl said:
My data is the stock filter had an oily substance on it on both my wrx and sti.

Either way who cares, what does it have to do with anything. Clean your maf regularly and it wont matter anyway.
mine definitely didn't have any oil on it. purchsed in 8/01. first replaced that december. maybe it was somthing offered in later models?

dR

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
dark_rex said:
That's simply NOT true. I've sold autoparts since i was able to work the counter, and my family has owned auto parts stores for 50 years. Wix, Pro-Tec, Fram and all the other major filter manufactures use paper that is NOT oiled.

typically, oiled aftermarket filters are made of cotton, or some other proprietary fabric (foam, SS mesh etc.) K&N for example uses cotton. Blitz uses a SS mesh.

disposable replacement filters are typically paper, and NOT oiled. the filter above lists for $55 and is sold by subaru, FYI.

The factory filters for the WRX are NOT oiled (paper) according to SOA (and many resellers), same goes for the STi. your arguement would be much more valuable if you had some back up, however it seems the only person providing data here is me.

dR

[edited for speelign]
I also spent time working as a counterman, and have wrenched on cars for a long time. Paper elements are just that, paper. No oil at all. Gauze, fabric, and foam filters are oiled. If you have an oily substance on your air-filter, it's blow by from the motor which is normal on our cars. I always had it on the center of my paper element until I changed to my SUS.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks like I'll be cleaning my MAF... when I use paper filters (went through TWO of them), during the winter months, they get ripped.

my K&N never ripped, just clogged... which the paper ones did too... only they were suddenly not clogged... when they had good sized holes in them...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
trainrex said:
If you have an oily substance on your air-filter, it's blow by from the motor which is normal on our cars. I always had it on the center of my paper element until I changed to my SUS.
So if there is blow by that puts oil on the filter, oil is obviously going by the maf. So doesnt that make using no oiled filters ono stock cars to protect the maf useless? Ive never bought a new panel filter from subaru so ive never seen one in new condition, all I have are the used stockers which are oily.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
afpdl said:
So doesnt that make using no oiled filters ono stock cars to protect the maf useless?
no.

why would you want to add more oil exposure when you know you've already got some?

you realize the oil on the maf is bad, right?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
dark_rex said:

you realize the oil on the maf is bad, right?
Of course thats why you clean it, takes 5 mins.

But you said dont use an oiled filter because it will cause maf issues. If there is oil passing through that area on a stock car then using a stock unoiled filter will not keep maf issues from appearing, it will just take a little longer. Regardless if your filter is oiled or not if you take care of your maf it wont run into problems.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
afpdl said:
Of course thats why you clean it, takes 5 mins.

But you said dont use an oiled filter because it will cause maf issues. If there is oil passing through that area on a stock car then using a stock unoiled filter will not keep maf issues from appearing, it will just take a little longer. Regardless if your filter is oiled or not if you take care of your maf it wont run into problems.
i have 60K on my car with no problems.

people with aftermarket filters (oiled) are having problems as early as 10K and 20K miles.

also, you can change your air filter all the time to help prevent motor oil on your MAF. if you're keeping a clean filter, you should have minimal blow by. people with stock intakes have NO oil in their catch cans after more than 20K miles.

cleaning your maf isn't as simple as you put it. it's a very delicate operation. they're a chunk of money to replace as well. most people don't want to risk a couple hundred bucks if they don't have to, especially for just an air filter that doesn't make any power.

dR

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There are also people with 50k miles of oiled filter whats your point? Theres also people with mbcs who's engines last 100k miles and people who blow them up in a week with mbcs. Every car, every person, and every situation is different.

And pleanty of people risk hundreds of dollars when they dont have to, they buy bovs, run mbcs, change turbos, street race, road race, get air filters, over oil them, none of this has to be done but pleanty of people do it everyday and risk thousands of dollars happily.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
afpdl said:
There are also people with 50k miles of oiled filter whats your point? Theres also people with mbcs who's engines last 100k miles and people who blow them up in a week with mbcs. Every car, every person, and every situation is different.

And pleanty of people risk hundreds of dollars when they dont have to, they buy bovs, run mbcs, change turbos, street race, road race, get air filters, over oil them, none of this has to be done but pleanty of people do it everyday and risk thousands of dollars happily.
come on dude. did i really need to say "all things being equal?" :rolleyes:

have you ever heard someone having maf issues b/c of crankcase blow by?

how many threads have their been about oil on the maf from filters?

now, you're just being an antagonist.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts