ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as some of you may be aware, I thought I was having to relocate back to the UK so put my car up for sale. Fortunatly this is not the case and I think I'll be staying put in LA for a while.
I was however still thinking about getting rid of my car in search of something that I'd be less prone to speed in as within my first month of ownership I got pulled over numerous times for driving at some quite silly speeds (i.e. 105mph on PCH) - my only saving grace has been the fact that I am on a foreign licence and am not as yet considered a resident so every offence I have had I either get cautioned or a fine, (the PCH offence actually led to a court appearence though!) Anyway I still didnt want to be dealing with the fines ect. and thought the STi would be a silly car to own if I changed my attitude and drove more sanely as its built to be DRIVEN.
Anyway I started looking at some other cars that were not as focused driver cars in an attempt to slow down - lol
Drove a 2005 350z Roadster - really was slow and not that comfortable. Looked at M Coupes' (as I have always loved it) but it was so uncomfortable and I think I would be far more likely to loose control of it, looked at a mercedes C32 AMG - again nothing like the STi, even though more luxurious was not actually more comfortable and handling was not comparable.
Findings in addition to all I already knew about the STi - 1) the STi really is a comfortable car vs everything else out there, just not luxurious as some but the STi interior looks bad a.s.s.. 2) Once u have AWD I dont think anything-else compares. In addition to all the great things about the STi my above two conclusions were more than enough for me to keep my car. I am just gonna tone down my speeds so I can stop getting pulled over + as I may now be staying on a permenant basis I will be getting a Cali. licence so I think I will be in a load of s.h.i.t. if I drive like a madman - lol.
Anyway just wanted to let u all knwo my thoughts and let u know mhat my situation was even if no-one cares - lol and I wanted to say sorry for all those posts in regards to selling the car as I know there were a few - lol. I am happy to stay a part of Subaru and this forum.
MarK. :)
p.s. on another note I now realise to get a car I am really gonna be happier with is gonna cost me a load of money..... faster.....AWD...... hmmmm.... Murcielago? :)
Look at my baby....I dont think I could ever have sold it...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good desicion :thumbup: I will be in the market for a WRX in the next three months, but lately I've really been jonesing for an STi. I'm trying to justify the extra insurance and longer loan payments. I already know that my insurance is guna sky-rocket going to a wrx from my current car, but to think about an STi makes me a little dizzy. :eek: :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elm said:
Good desicion :thumbup: I will be in the market for a WRX in the next three months, but lately I've really been jonesing for an STi. I'm trying to justify the extra insurance and longer loan payments. I already know that my insurance is guna sky-rocket going to a wrx from my current car, but to think about an STi makes me a little dizzy. :eek: :p
Man tell me about it, insurance costs me around $500 a month... but its still worth it - lol - If u can do it man get the STi, its incredible and looks awsome in stock form. Good luck either way and thanks for reading my story :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
When I first came over from the U.K, I was pulled over doing 105mph on I-40 going to Laughlin in my rented Mustang 5.0. I thought the cop was going to cry when I gave him my English license!

Anyway - good to keep another Brit on the boards, so glad you're staying:)

-Max.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlkWRXWag said:
When I first came over from the U.K, I was pulled over doing 105mph on I-40 going to Laughlin in my rented Mustang 5.0. I thought the cop was going to cry when I gave him my English license!

-Max.
Ha ha thanks man, ye they really dont know what to do with them, its saved me as such 3 times already, 105 mph in a 40 then 85 in a 40 and last one was for 50 in a 25. On a positive note I guess I am slowing down as they're going down bit by bit - lol - n e way out of the above I only got fined for the 105 in the 40 (and had to go to court), they let me off with the others somehow. In the UK we really can get away with speeding far more often. I lived in Manchester and drove to London in my 04 Civic Type R - 200 miles - did it in 1hr 45mins, pretty much staying between 120-130 the whole way but did manage to hit 151mph :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BlkWRXWag said:
Where are you located Mark?
I am in the West Hollywood area. Is Costa Mesa near Redondo Beach as I have family over there who I visit quite a bit and I am sure I have seen signs for Costa Mesa, if so we could meet up next time I am near by (thats if it is in fact near Redondo - lol)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Costa Mesa is down in sunny Orange County. The reason I ask is that judging by your need for speed, I think you would really enjoy auto-x. Check out www.solo2.com for our local events. We have an all Subaru team (Team Blew) with about 30 members. There is no better way to learn how to drive your car at the limit - it's a blast. Check out the website and let me know if you are interested. You can also read a lot about auto-x in the road racing forum in ClubWrx. We have an event on January 23rd that you would be more than welcome to come join us and either watch or take part:)

-Max.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlkWRXWag said:
Costa Mesa is down in sunny Orange County. The reason I ask is that judging by your need for speed, I think you would really enjoy auto-x. Check out www.solo2.com for our local events. We have an all Subaru team (Team Blew) with about 30 members. There is no better way to learn how to drive your car at the limit - it's a blast. Check out the website and let me know if you are interested. You can also read a lot about auto-x in the road racing forum in ClubWrx. We have an event on January 23rd that you would be more than welcome to come join us and either watch or take part:)

-Max.
Man I will check that out as I am more than interested. I have been thinking about going to a track day as such for a while just never know where to look. N E way I'll have a look and we will be intouch.
Thanks again man,

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
No problem Mark. PM me with any questions. I'm sure we'll be having more track days as well - we just did one in December at Streets of Willow where the pic in my avatar was taken:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlkWRXWag said:
No problem Mark. PM me with any questions. I'm sure we'll be having more track days as well - we just did one in December at Streets of Willow where the pic in my avatar was taken:)
Cool bro, thanks again. As long as I am free I think I'll try come on the 23rd so I'll pm you closer to that date for info.
Thanks,

·
Registered
762 Posts
are u sure is 500 dollars a month on insurance. that's a freaking sti car payment. :eek3:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
BlkWRXWag said:

-Max.
I came over here from the UK 5 years ago and live in central IL. I've had my wrx for 4 months now and am planning on doing auto x this summer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In reply tot he above couple of posts, yes it is unfortunatly just for my STi. and yes I know $500 is a car payment. I bought my car outright so I wouldnt be burdened with monthly payments but betwen the insurance and gas that just isnt working - lol.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
When I first got insured here, I got AAA to take my English record into account. So rather than saying I have no years of driving experience, I was at least able to say 9. Not sure if that would help you, but $500 a month is ridiculous. Not sure how old you are, but if you're early 20's and essentially a new driver to them, I can see them charging that much. I'm old now (39), so insurance isn't such a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Go race like the dickens!! Legally, of course. Autocross, trackdays, these 2 things make me drive a whole lot less crazy on the streets!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts