ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this quick little run really got me pissed off. I'm on my way to work this morning and I pass up a 350z and so he decides to get behind me and start following. Well, it's almost pointless because we're in morning traffic but we both end up going towards the toll-road, which is usually pretty empty.

Finally an opening appears right befor a mild sweeping turn onto the toll-road. I punch it from about 60mph and jump out to a good little lead, maybe put another car or two between us going into the turn... I think he was probably not quite ready. I let up in the turn a little going about 80mph and he caught some ground. Stupid me, I miss 4th gear (i know, i know) and he shoots by me and starts zig-zagin through traffic. By the time I get it gear he's pretty much gone... I was honestly surprised how fast he shot by me. What ticked me off even more is that he put his hazards on! What an ass!

First off, I need to learn how to drive but I am curious, how close would a highway race be if I could've driven well? I figure the 350z would probably end up walking away but could a cobb stage2 wrx hang with it for a while? It did seem that I was holding him off decently until I mis-shifted. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find another Z to play with... I only see about 50 of them a day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am COBB 2 + uppipe and I SLOWLY pulled one from 60-100.....we were on it. I chatted with the guy later and he complimented me on the fast ride that I had.....I replied saying that the Z is very nice, but too expensive for me to afford...that boosted, no pun intended, his ego.....

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
03WREX said:
First off, I need to learn how to drive but I am curious, how close would a highway race be if I could've driven well? I figure the 350z would probably end up walking away but could a cobb stage2 wrx hang with it for a while? It did seem that I was holding him off decently until I mis-shifted. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find another Z to play with... I only see about 50 of them a day.

Its generally a pretty close race at rolling speeds. In a nut shell, the faster you go, the faster the Z will get. Lets just assume you are racing a Z that is well or decently driven in 6mt form. In lower speeds its going to be really close, but in a situation like the one you just had, starting at 60mph or so, the Z should end up walking by you by a couple cars. It wouldn't be a huge amount or anything, but generally the car traps about 2-3mph or more over a stageII wrx. This is going to give it the advantage once you get into the 80+mph zone.
the trans makes a big difference though it seems. When I was turboback+uppipe+mbc I put about 2-3 cars on a buddies auto Z from 45-100.... but I also had an encounter with a 6mt track edition from 65-110 or so and he put just a little over a car on me. This guy had a catback though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not on the Cobb Cali map because I haven't noticed/heard any audible ping but I guess for safety I should probably switch. I also have an up-pipe, not that it makes a huge difference.

I must admit that highway races are pretty tough for the wrx. It's kinda strange though, I've hung with an M3 from about 60mph to 90mph but I got the jump. I've also raced my brother's S2000 from a roll and murdered him when we started at about 50mph but when we went from 65mph he ended up pulling on me. I guess the race will vary quite a bit depending on what speed the race starts from.

·
Registered
49 Posts
03WREX said:
I'm not on the Cobb Cali map because I haven't noticed/heard any audible ping but I guess for safety I should probably switch. I also have an up-pipe, not that it makes a huge difference.

I must admit that highway races are pretty tough for the wrx. It's kinda strange though, I've hung with an M3 from about 60mph to 90mph but I got the jump. I've also raced my brother's S2000 from a roll and murdered him when we started at about 50mph but when we went from 65mph he ended up pulling on me. I guess the race will vary quite a bit depending on what speed the race starts from.
the way you describe your races.. (winning when you jump) and losing when it's an equal start...makes it seem like you just downshift and take off on people that aren't ready.....

I'm sure the race with the Z would have been pretty close if you started at the same time and didn't miss a gear...anything over 100 and the Z probably would have won tho....

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
350z = slug

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
24,095 Posts
Putting on those hazards show you what a no class dick you were dealing with. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DIE DIE said:
the way you describe your races.. (winning when you jump) and losing when it's an equal start...makes it seem like you just downshift and take off on people that aren't ready.....

I'm sure the race with the Z would have been pretty close if you started at the same time and didn't miss a gear...anything over 100 and the Z probably would have won tho....
Well, honestly it's tough to get a clean race from people that you don't know. Most the people on the road have no idea what a "fair" race is. I usually try to slow down to about 60ish and see if they'll roll up next to me but half the time they just end up shooting by me and don't slow back down.

This particular race, the Z kept zooming and weaving through traffic behind me and when he finally got behind me I knew he would play... so I slowed down to about 60 with him behind me and then I took off knowing he'd follow... and sure enough he did. Anyways, if we had a clean race I'm sure he'd still pull on me but I was just curious how close it would be from about 60mph.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
DTR rex said:
I wouldn't go that far.

high 13's and 100mph+ traps from an n/a V6 is not bad IMO.
Just pissing off the 350z trolls

·
Registered
344 Posts
DTR rex said:
I wouldn't go that far.

high 13's and 100mph+ traps from an n/a V6 is not bad IMO.
+1
350Z are not slow at all. they beat WRXs in 1/4mile. add a charger and forget about it. sometimes i think having a beastly V6 is better than an overpowered 4-cyl for the main fact that u can put on a charger and blow the competition.

i still want my subie, but people shouldnt be bashing the 350Z its a nice and quick ride, tho i would never buy one.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
spyderpaint2004 said:
+1
350Z are not slow at all. they beat WRXs in 1/4mile. add a charger and forget about it. sometimes i think having a beastly V6 is better than an overpowered 4-cyl for the main fact that u can put on a charger and blow the competition.

i still want my subie, but people shouldnt be bashing the 350Z its a nice and quick ride, tho i would never buy one.
I often miss the torque and displacement of my Maxima. Turbo's are great and all, but sometimes an N/A 6 or 8 just feels so nice!

fastwrx135 said:
There are no 350z trolls on here.
not neccesarily trolls, but there have been a couple 350z guys around here calling people out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 37 Posts