ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i changed my pcv valve today (my car's got 35k on it) and i thought it couldn't hurt and mabye this would be where all that excess oil is comin from, here's the pics
TOOLS needed:
19mm wrench
12mm wrench/socket
10mm wrench
flathead screwdriver
and some patients

first you wanna remove these bolts highlighted below and the two on the side of the i/c that you cant see, along with the hose clamp on the throttle body and on the i/c hose to turbo, along with the smaller hoses that are connected to the piping on the front of the i/c

now with your ic off

here's the pcv valve i used from autozone, it was $2.49ish

the PCV valve is located under the throttle body on the back side of the intake manifold, this is where the 19mm wrench comes in, i found it easiest to loosen it from the drivers side of the car

this is what we DONT want

thats it replace your pcv valve with the new one, dont get too crazy tightening it down it doesnt have to thread all the way in, my valve was quite stickey and it wouldn't move as easily as the new, so it's not a bad idea to change yours of you have over 30k, after seeing all this excess oil in the i/c and throttle body i think i'll be poping for a catch can within the next week or so, any questions just reply and i'll help ya out, good luck

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the pics; they definitely help.

I have just one question.

kessler89 said:
and some patients
What kind of patients and why do we need them? :tongue:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha i cant spell, glad the pics helped tho

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the pics, they definately helped. I was almost ready to say that there wasn't one in there. I had to look three times to find it. Took me about an hour, mostly because I was being anal and taking my time. Just about as much fun as changing the plugs. No wonder a 60K service costs $750.00 around here. Nothing is easy on this car. :rotfl:

·
Registered
32 Posts
PCV install :)

hello, subie nation! this was a really helpful thread! thanks a bunch. :) did mine tonight no major problems thanks again, peace.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think it's on the 30k tuneup, not sure tho, couldn't be a bad idea to change it anyway

·
Registered
719 Posts
i just did that this weekend :thumbup: and checked my plugs and cleaned my maf while i was at it. i didnt know when the pcv was done last so i figured what the hell. although when i got it out it looked pretty clean, so that was good, but i replaced it anyways

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Where did you guys get your valves from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My PVC ???

Hey guys.. I need some help.

I own a 04 WRX w/ the 2.0L.

I basically followed these directions and this was the only sensor below the Throttle body that allowed the 19mm open box end wrench.

When I pulled it out it just does not seem to be a PVVC valve, b/c pvc's suppose to have like a little ball that rattle in the inside of the valve. This one I taken out was hollow in the middle. Like a open barrel.

I just hope that I pulled the right thing out. Can you guys let me know if this is the PVC valve?

Pics here:

In th middle it is hollow:

What U think??

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
hey kessler89, what's that brown residual on your firewall?? :confused1
it almost looks like you had underhood fire :eek3:

·
Registered
425 Posts
bigwrxguy said:
my IC and Turbo had a drop of oil on it like yours. But I was told all turbo vehicles are like this.
It is common with all turbo vehicles. You can get an oil catch can that catches the nasty residue on its way to your turbo inlet pipe. Supposedly it helps with engine longevity, and more importantly, turbo longevity.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts