Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm shipping out my steering wheel to get done and I have allot of options. I really like the Alcantara look but hate the short life span so I was considering getting the top and bottom in Alcantara and the left and right grips in cow hide leather and a red leather rally stripe up top with red stitching all around. I just wanted some honest opinions/suggestions before I go through and ship it out. What do you guys think?

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
That's part of my inquiry here... what's "better?"

OP is asking for suggestions. Providing suggestions without understanding OP's gripe is wasting 1s and 0s.

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
some people complain about the poor quality leather.

i mean, can anyone have a gripe about the stock wheel with out someone going 1st world problems?
You need to relax.

You don't know OP's gripe. When someone asks "I need suggestions for ___" your first question should be "well what have you tried and what don't you like?" This is not a judgement, it's creating a perspective that helps shape suggestions to that individual. Otherwise, YOUR suggestions will be from YOUR perspective based on YOUR cognitive biases and not necessarily applicable to the OP's initial gripe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi OP, there is an aftermarket steering wheel on my 06 and a diffrent feel makes all the difference.

In my opinion, it's hard to necessarily pick out what exactly you like and dislike, because it sounds like you are not actually changing the wheel with an aftermarket piece that might be shaped like a D and removable/not etc.

In this case, Zax's question of "what's wrong with the OEM" wheel, should probably be clarified more as "what would you like to improve?"

Zax, try not being so mean and direct. Your words in threads tend to come off as offensive immediately; as if you were accusing the OP of suggesting the OEM wheel wasn't good enough.

Even if the OEM wheel was good enough, its their car and they can choose what they want to do to it. This might be simply aesthetics after all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
@OP: personally I wouldn't like that setup because I primarily hold the wheel at the top or bottom, so the Alcantara would wear out exceptionally quick. That being said, it all depends on your typical hand position on the wheel. I do like the idea of the red rally stripe though

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
In this case, Zax's question of "what's wrong with the OEM" wheel, should probably be clarified more as "what would you like to improve?"
You are absolutely correct. Modifying original post.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally I like the more direct approach of zax instead of the sugarcoated touchy feely stuff. his original question was what didn't you like about the OEM wheel so he could try and figure out a better suggestion to address the OP's new needs. Everyone needs to just calm down and stop being so sensitive, its the internet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks guys, ya it's kinda my bad I was not very clear. I don't really like the feel/type of leather on the wheel I'm grabbing every day so I am getting my original wheel thickened and re stitched with better materials. My original question was meant to be what should in most people's opinion be the new materials/what should I stay away from

·
Registered
404 Posts
OP, I'm with you on the desire for a thicker wheel. On long trips, fatigue sets in quickly. Unless you have tiny little hands. :)

Anyway, I have nothing useful to add. I'm just curious what you ultimately choose. Also, who is doing your wheel for you? I was looking into possibly wrapping mine myself, but that is somewhat of an art form.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of your new wheel!

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
Hey thanks guys, ya it's kinda my bad I was not very clear. I don't really like the feel/type of leather on the wheel I'm grabbing every day so I am getting my original wheel thickened and re stitched with better materials. My original question was meant to be what should in most people's opinion be the new materials/what should I stay away from
I do love the idea of Alcantara/ultrasuede like you'd find on a GT3RS or Camaro Z/28. Like you, I'd worry about premature wear and the material getting crummy.

Here's some food for thought -- in my STI (almost 4 years old now), the seats are ultrasuede/pleather. The leather has worn much more thoroughly than the ultrasuede. The fabric is much more durable than you might think, but indeed sun damage and grime might be more noticeable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do love the idea of Alcantara/ultrasuede like you'd find on a GT3RS or Camaro Z/28. Like you, I'd worry about premature wear and the material getting crummy.

Here's some food for thought -- in my STI (almost 4 years old now), the seats are ultrasuede/pleather. The leather has worn much more thoroughly than the ultrasuede. The fabric is much more durable than you might think, but indeed sun damage and grime might be more noticeable.
Thanks, ya I have heard that the Alcantara on a steering wheel wears much more rapidly than on the seat, so I have decided to go nappa cow hide leather on the top and bottom and perforated leather on the sides with red stitching and red rally stripe, as for the thicker wheel idk I've sat in one with that done to it and I just really liked it, I'm not doing it for any specific reason.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not sure how good of a deal you're getting on your wheel, but SubiSpeed sells aftermarket steering wheel options under $500. Or, if it's just the leather you don't like, you could look into getting just the hub of a 2018 and swapping everything over. The leather on the 2018s is MUCH better and actually feels great and grippy in the hand.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Or you can check one of our vendors who haven't had a running issue with stooen creditcard
I know a lot of people have a beef with Subispeed here, but I've placed several orders and had to reach out to their customer service a few times, for things that were my mistake and they have been awesome.. just my .02

I also wasn't aware we had any vendors here that sell OEM style aftermarket steering wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts