Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the mandatory 24 Hour Cooling Off Period has passed, and while I'd like to think that I'm an ok mechanic, installing new steering rack bushings has to be one of the biggest PITAs I've ever experienced. Ever.

This is just a warning to those who've yet to launch into this one -be aware that it is frustrating to the 32nd power. Not so much super difficult as mega frustrating. Everyone says, "yeah, it's kinda tough". :bs:

It's more like, "yeah, it'll drive you f'ing nuts". Sure, the passenger side is super easy, but the driver's side sucks. Alot. I considered giving up at one point, but quickly realized that I had destroyed the old bushing removing it...so I was forced to continue.

A day later my arms and back are still sore from "manhandling" (personhandling?) the steering rack while laying on my freaking back....this is getting Dr. Seussish.

Anyway, don't expect to saunter through this install on your lunch break. Apart from the standard install tips, I found that the only way I could get the driver's side bushing into place was to remove the driver's side bracket (obviously), loosen one of the clamps on the steering column, and loosen the passenger side steering rack bracket to the point where the rack was just about ready to fall out of the car....throwing tools, grunting and swearing seemed to help as well. Also, the new Noltec bushings, even with lubrication, seem reluctant to slide around the rack or fit just right into their new homes...more swearing was in order.

Having finished the "project" I can say that, yes, the harder bushings make a nice improvement in steering feel. However, your WRX will not suddenly become a Ferrari. If you decide to do the rack bushings (mmm...rack) do yourself a favor and get the driver's side out of the way first - you'll be so happy when you get to the passenger side.

p.s. schedule an appointment with your Anger Management Therapist before you begin.:D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
So what exactly do these do? You said they increase feel, but can you elaborate a little more?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I believe they relieve memory steer a bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, these are an "easy" remedy to memory steer. When you let go of the wheel after a turn, it snaps back to center; also, the bushings seem to have taken a bit of the "slop" out of the steering...or maybe that's just what I WANT to believe (I figure since my Swear Jar is now overflowing, I better have something to show for it).

:thumbup:

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
It is amazing that the passenger side can take all of three minutes and you can spend a long (long) time w/ the drivers side.

Besides a little lubricant, I found a a pair of long needle nose pliers worth using- pull-cuss-pull-cuss-pull-cuss (but not too hard or you'll really be cussing) you get the idea.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
It is amazing that the passenger side can take all of three minutes and you can spend a long (long) time w/ the drivers side.

Besides a little lubricant, I found a a pair of long needle nose pliers worth using- pull-cuss-pull-cuss-pull-cuss (but not too hard or you'll really be cussing) you get the idea.

Big Sky
Yepper, That and use a blunt screwdriver to "massage" it around the rack carfully so ya dont rip it.

Hope I dont have to put another in for a loooong time:(

Shotgun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts