ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm literally under my car right now... Both top and bottom undone and cannot get the bottom out of the "coupler"(i guess thats what it is) I loosened the top because my steering wheel was off so fixing that too

Any help?

·
Æternum
20,865 Posts
Bahaha my Steering Rack bushings are in a box in the closet :p

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I'm a bit confused. You should just have to remove one side of the steering column - either top or bottom. I think mine pulled out from the bottom, but I had dropped the engine cross member for engine mounts before that.

Can you get more pictures of it if it is still a problem? Yours looks to be a bit different than mine. I don't recognize the bottom half of the column specifically.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm a moron!

I submitted the wrong photo also.

My issue NOW is one of the passenger side bolts is not going back in

What a ***** of an install. After Putting the new ones back in it's been a PITA getting it back together!

·
Æternum
20,865 Posts
Yes I'm a moron!

I submitted the wrong photo also.

My issue NOW is one of the passenger side bolts is not going back in

What a ***** of an install. After Putting the new ones back in it's been a PITA getting it back together!
At least your car isn't 8 years old. I sheered one of the bolts removing the bracket; had to drill out and retap the hole.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes!

Yeah getting them off was easy easy. I dont understand why putting them back in so difficult. My car better **** gold when it steers. Lol

I've since take a break, I think I am going to pull the passenger side bushing off and use the other one that it came with.

Anybody know if the steering rack coupling should be connected first before attaching the bushings back to the body?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sooooooo annoyed. I pulled everything back off and cannot get those passenger side bolts to go in. I am at a loss at this point

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I GOOOOOOOOOT IT!!

Stand by for test and thoughts... If I don't notice anything I'll set my car on fire and post a vid. That was some serious PITA work!

edit below

OK so after spending way too much time doing that i finally have some "final thoughts" if I may...

The install

to pull everything down it literally took me 15 minutes. And that included 5 minutes of me realizing i had no idea what the directions meant at all. Once I got under there and figured out what was what I was ok.

It took about another 15 minutes to remove the bushings. Again to see it really helped me when comparing what was underneath to what was in the directions.

It took from 12:30 to about an hour ago to get back together. I had stripped the threads on the final bolt on the passenger side. I also wanted to straighten my steering wheel which was a degree or two off. I finally drilled it out, and got the last bolt to work. F what a PITA. BUT I will say, its a noticeable difference. I am surprised when people say they dont notice anything. there is 0 play in the steering wheel. and i mean ZERO. if you turn it 1/4" to the right it will turn. its crisp, tight, very responsive. There are curves and such i am used to taking that i have to "re-learn" i almost put the car in a ditch.

There is also a stretch of road that has some bumps in it, and if you really give it gas the car will hop left to right. This took the wheel hop right out of it.

I think if you can avoid some of the issues I had, i would say do it asap. It really improved the handling of a car that I feel is the best handling car I have ever owned. And I Have owned a bunch. Even better than my 1980 Dodge Colt :)

I am extremely pleased and really glad I did the work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts