Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does your steering wheel appear like its a few degrees off after you make a turn? if so, you're probably not just imagining things - many wrx'ers have experienced this problem as well. however, no one seems to have come up with a solution so far...i was hoping the ClubWRX intelligensia could provide us with the answer ;)

here's the thread for reference: steering rack problems

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
People in that thread are describing at least two different problems (maybe more):

Tramlining- car darting, following grooves etc- happens when you go to wider tires, lower offset and is more pronounced w/ stickier tires

fix- if you want wider/stickier tires, just have to get used to it

Memory steer- turn left, vehicle wants to pull left (steering wheel off center), turn right, vehciel wants to pull to the right (steering wheel off center)

fix- on mine (very severe) was faulty install (mine:) ) of my front suspension- had the domed washer under the sprinch perch instead of on top of it, so it could engage the strut top bearing-Doh! Some people have experienced the same thing when installing the washer upside down (dome side down)- again won't allow washer to engage top bushing

other fixes- the steering rack bolts (near the oe skid plate) will sometime loosen- tighten to 43 ft lbs

intersting theory on the soft rear bushings in the front control arm (transverse link), definitely a possibility- I'm upgrading shortly to the STi group N bushing in this location

I've given serious thought to a quicker ratio rack (guy in Canada is building one, others are using the rack out of RA)

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The STi RAs(and certain non RA, depending on where the car is from...eg typeUK has same) have a 2.6 lock to lock rack(that's a 13:1 ratio). Prodrive offers a kit to give 2.4 turns. Currently up here in Canada, there is a group making two diff kits that have been available for awhile. One is in the order of 2.2 turns while the other is around 1.7. It's really more of preference issue(and this appears at the WRC level as well); some have the traditional "slow hand" race technique while others like a little more freedom in their movements(ie jittery fast hands and an ultra quick rack isn't always the best idea)

By the way, the Prodrive rack is roughly $2500USD(last I heard).

·
Registered
73 Posts
This may be somewhat related to this thread.

My stock 02 WRX creaks when I turn the wheel. No, it is NOT the struts. Here are the symptoms.

After several miles of driving, my car makes a creaking sound that is not coming from the struts. The creaking sound is only noticeable at low speeds, and only after the car has fully warmed up. No noise when the car is cold.

I know it is NOT the struts because I can bounce my car up and down, or drive over bumps and I do NOT hear the noise. Its only when I turn the front wheels.

It sounds as if the creaking noise is coming from around my steering box. Does this sound familar to anyone?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
schischwein said:
The STi RAs(and certain non RA, depending on where the car is from...eg typeUK has same) have a 2.6 lock to lock rack(that's a 13:1 ratio). Prodrive offers a kit to give 2.4 turns. Currently up here in Canada, there is a group making two diff kits that have been available for awhile. One is in the order of 2.2 turns while the other is around 1.7. It's really more of preference issue(and this appears at the WRC level as well); some have the traditional "slow hand" race technique while others like a little more freedom in their movements(ie jittery fast hands and an ultra quick rack isn't always the best idea)

By the way, the Prodrive rack is roughly $2500USD(last I heard).
Is our oe rack 3.0 lock to lock? 16.5:1? I'm going to check on RA rack pricing.
$2500 is out of the question:rolleyes: .

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Lightsped said:
This may be somewhat related to this thread.

My stock 02 WRX creaks when I turn the wheel. No, it is NOT the struts. Here are the symptoms.

After several miles of driving, my car makes a creaking sound that is not coming from the struts. The creaking sound is only noticeable at low speeds, and only after the car has fully warmed up. No noise when the car is cold.

I know it is NOT the struts because I can bounce my car up and down, or drive over bumps and I do NOT hear the noise. Its only when I turn the front wheels.

It sounds as if the creaking noise is coming from around my steering box. Does this sound familar to anyone?
Most likely sway bar bushings.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Found out a little more on quick steering racks. The only left hand drive racks available are from the "new" STi's (non RA's) and are 15:1, not much better than we have. Evidently there is not a left hand drive RA available (?), they are 13:1, including the GC and 22B's. Rallispec is also investigating bringing out a ~ 13: 1 rack for us.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That makes sense. You'd have to get a rack out of a Europe model. England, Oz and Japan are all RHD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Stock is 2.75 turns lock to lock

UK STi is 2.6

JDM STi is 2.47

I've heard that even the seemingly small difference is really noticable, as someone who's driven all three told me the USDM WRX is really comfortable on the highway, the UK STi is quick reacting and sporty, and the JDM STi is almost jittery above 90 mph. Based off of what he said if I could magically pick any one to come from the factory on my car I'd get the UK STi one.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
stilesg57 said:
Stock is 2.75 turns lock to lock

UK STi is 2.6

JDM STi is 2.47

Car and Driver shows OE (US) as 3.0 lock to lock, 16.5:1 ratio, curious where you got your figures.

thanks

Big Sky

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much of a difference do you think sway bar bushing should make? i dont see how those would affect the steering rack at all

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Penguinking said:
how much of a difference do you think sway bar bushing should make? i dont see how those would affect the steering rack at all
They won't, I think he was providing a possible diagnosis for Lightsped's condition. They (whiteline) do make a steering rack bushing, may have some affect. Also the rear transverse link (front control arm) bushing replaced w/ a STi one or whiteline ALK may also help.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
picture/link for this "rear transverse link" thing? thanks, thats the only one im unfamiliar with

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
And yes the WRX has a 3.0 turn lock to lock....which is just as easily demonstrated when you park your car as pulling the facts from a magazine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry, perhaps the 2.75 number is from the UK WRX - I got it and the 2.6 for the UK STi from an article in SCC a few months back. Either way, I know from a friend that the JDM is set at 2.47, and based off of what he said I'd go with something closer to the UK STi's 2.6

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Penguinking said:
picture/link for this "rear transverse link" thing? thanks, thats the only one im unfamiliar with
transverse link (SOA term) is just the front control arm, it is the rear bushing of the front control arm that can be replaced w/ a ALK or STi hardened bushing- whether it helps w/ memory steer I can't say, but it may

·
Registered
12 Posts
I emailed Whiteline about this and they had a few suggestions:

Thankyou for contacting Whiteline.

If I can start by saying that this is a known and common characteristic
found on many different cars, including Subaru. The main cause are soft and
compliant steering rack mount bushing.

Whiteline offers;
KSR200 - steering rack mount bushing kit - Subaru Impreza GC8, '93-09/00
KSR202 - steering rack mount bushing kit - Subaru Impreza GD, 10/00-on

These are the single most effective product to reduce the steering rack
movement, vagueness and lack of self cantering.

Further improvements can be had by fitting our Anti-Lift / Caster Kit (refer
'Ugly Bits-alignment products- catalogue for part numbers) and front lower
control arm front polyurethane bushing (part # SPF1390).

Trust that this helps.
Someone in the vendor forum had the bushings for $30 so it's probably a resonable first step. I have a dealer appointment on this issue so I'll wait until I hear what they say before taking matters into my own hands.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great info, and thanks for the diagram guys!

i think im gonna look into this whiteline thing...if its not too expensive i might just go ahead and get it anyway instead of waiting. im sure it does something helpful

·
Registered
12 Posts
They sent me the wrong GD part number for the bushings. I edited my post to show the new part numbers.

Should be KSR202 not KSR201.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Has anyone actually tried the Whiteline heavy duty rack mount kit yet? I'm dying to get it if it works as they advertise.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts