Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2004 WRX and in the first 1500 miles I've noticed two problems with the steering.

First under acceleration the car pulls to the left. If I let off the gas to decelerate (no brakes, just engine slowing the car down) the car will pull to the right.

Otherwise the car will go straight if I let go of the steering wheel and I'm driving at a constant speed. I've set the tire pressure and it's to spec. I also have not hit anything on the road that might have caused damage. Will a simple alignment solve this issue?

I also have the steering memory problem that I've read other people mention in other newsgroups and I'm thinking of having the dealer change out the steering rack bushings. Could the bushings also be causing the above problem?

I'm so disappointed that this car has these problems from the factory. Once I solve these two problems I think I will be extremely happy with my car. Any suggestions and info would be appreciated.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Don't waste time trying to get info here, go to the dealer and make use of your warranty. Something's clearly wrong for it to pull so. Mine's driven straight as an arrow for 31,000 miles!

Is it possible that your car was test driven before you got it? Many people who test drive WRX's aren't going to "drive Miss Daisy".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read in other newsgroups about a phenomenon that people have termed "memory steer". Basically after taking a hard turn to the right and then going straight the steering wheel doesn't return to exact center. It will be about 3 to 5 degrees off center to the right. The car will still go straight, but the steering wheel is no longer centered. This eventually goes away after driving for a while, or making a hard left turn.

What I've read is that this is caused by the steering rack shifting because the factory steering rack bushings are too soft. Many have had success in solving this problem by replacing the factory bushings with aftermarket high performance bushings. They are only about $30 and it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. Here is a link to one of the news groups that discusses this problem.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread/t-450418.html

RayfieldsWRX, you are probably right about my car being a test car. I bought this car from an auto broker and the car was driven from a far away dealer to be delivered at my broker's office. I don't really know how many miles the car had before it was delivered. In retrospect I was stupid to trust these guys and should have picked the car up myself. What a pain!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
dronchi said:

RayfieldsWRX, you are probably right about my car being a test car. I bought this car from an auto broker and the car was driven from a far away dealer to be delivered at my broker's office. I don't really know how many miles the car had before it was delivered.
You'd hardly be the first!:)

Now that you've explained steering memory, I almost feel like I've seen something like it on my car. It's not really a problem, just an annoyance. Interesting...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Whenever I brake my wheel pulls to the left if my hand is not on it. If my hand is on it it stays straight but if my hand is off itll pull to the right. As for steering memory yea I have that problem as well. Oh well doesnt bother me that much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
exactly waht ray said. You better hit up the dealer and see what they can do with your warranty coverage on the car. My friend messed up one of his turbo's and grinded his clutch. The best part was they were both 100% his fault and he brought it in and warranty covered it. It cost over 1800 all together for them to fix it and he did not have to lay out a dime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts