·
Registered
2017, Subaru WRX Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2017 WRX Limited
Mileage: 49k
Mods: none, really

I just replaced the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tires, size 245/40-R18 with Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires, size 245/40-R18. The dealership did the mount, balance, and alignment.

On my drive home, I immediately noticed that the steering felt loose and sloppy--almost as if I were suddenly driving a boat, where some delay was introduced between my turn of the wheel and the car's response. Before the new tires, the car drove like it was on rails--ultra-responsive, great feedback from the road to the steering wheel.

Some other places on the forum/online suggest low tire pressure could cause this. Each tire is at 40 PSI after the drive home + some time sitting. This is above spec and what they usually put them at after a service.

Another cause it sounds could be improperly tightened lug nuts. I still need to check those.

I saw another thread that suggested the sloppy feel is just that the tires are not broken in yet. This could be, as there was this whitish gloss on the sidewalls (like when the pasta pot dries). I'm also going from summer tires to all-seasons, so maybe I'm going to have to live with the new feel? cries softly

I'm open to your ideas. Has anyone experienced this? Or have suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
Sounds like how all season tires preform differently than summer specific sport tires.

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
Some may be in the alignment. I hardly trust a tire shop to do an actual alignment. Tires though are everything.

·
Registered
2017, Subaru WRX Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some may be in the alignment. I hardly trust a tire shop to do an actual alignment. Tires though are everything.
Where would you go for an alignment that you would trust?

·
Registered
27 Posts
yep, speaking from experience, that's the difference between a summer tire and A/S tire... on my 16 STI i changed to Michelin Pilot AS+3 from the stock Dunlops, and experienced the same thing. You will get used to it, and as the tires wear a bit it will improve. I bet the ride is quieter though. With that said, when it is time, i am going back to summer tires. My thought process at the time was i wanted to drive my STI in cold non snowy conditions and thought the AS+3 would be a good trade off.

·
Registered
2017, Subaru WRX Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, speaking from experience, that's the difference between a summer tire and A/S tire... on my 16 STI i changed to Michelin Pilot AS+3 from the stock Dunlops, and experienced the same thing. You will get used to it, and as the tires wear a bit it will improve. I bet the ride is quieter though. With that said, when it is time, i am going back to summer tires. My thought process at the time was i wanted to drive my STI in cold non snowy conditions and thought the AS+3 would be a good trade off.
I went through the same thought process. Would like to be able to take the rex into some chop every now and again, so I opted for the A/S. Was also hoping to get slightly better ride quality going to Michelin, which I would say it has improved marginally.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,084 Posts
That’s surprising about the ride quality. I’d have expected a bigger improvement. The Michelins are very god for AS tyres though.

·
Registered
2017, Subaru WRX Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s surprising about the ride quality. I’d have expected a bigger improvement. The Michelins are very god for AS tyres though.
It's possible my assessment is incomplete--my driving frequency, distance, and type have changed since COVID-19, and I've only had them for a few days. I'll be doing a longer drive soon and can report back with results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i agree, the ride quality of Pilot AS+3 is very good, the wear has been great. It is just that 10% of time when you push the car, the summer tires are missed. The trade off i suppose.....
my though process for getting them stemmed from an incident where i got my car sideways avoiding a squirrel on a cold winters morning at 6 degrees going 25 mph on the Dunlop summer tires. Scared the heck out of me :) in the interim i got a Forester for winter/snow driving...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts