Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wasn't involved in this race, but maybe you guys know who the person who owns the WRX is:

19 psi Subaru WRX vs 11.8 psi Stealth TT - from 55mph to 90mph ish
OK, this was a little surprising to me.

I was on this 4 lane separated hi-way a few nights ago and come up on this Blue WRX that has been de-badged and has a large diameter exhaust pipe, with the tip pointing somewhat up. I go by him and see 2 lit gauges in a 2 gauge pod on the A pillar.

hmm . . . looks serious. I have heard of some 11 second WRX's runnin' around, and this one had the initial ( visual ) makings of one.

He gooses up to me, gives me a blow-off, so I know he's lookin for some action. However, we are in traffic and the roads are somewhat damp. I let him get on and off it as we are moving along, but I show little response ( I'm waiting for the road to open up ahead, which it does ). He proceeds to dart in and out of traffic, getting about a 1/4 mile ahead of me. The road opens up and I go after him in a steady manner.

The road is open for a good distance as I roll up on him . . him holding 55 mph. I match him and right away he gets on it. I downshift / stand on it / we are even.

60 mph . . . even.

70 mph . . . even.

80 mph . . . even.

its at this point where I begin to sloooowly pull away . . . I get no more that a fender on him and he hits the hooks ( dont know why either, we had plenty more room left )

I just lift and coast . . . he comes up to me and paces. I roll my window down and motion for him to follow me into a gas station . . he does.

Talked with him for a while, and found out this about his car -

* stock turbo
* only one cat left out of 3
* improved exhaust
* boosting to 19 psi
* functional hood scoop / air induction
* all other supporting mods, next was to upgrade the turbo

He stated his best time is 12.97 @ 108 mph, with a 1.6 shorty. He asked me if my car was a single turbo car or twins, and if it was all wheel drive or front wheel drive. I think he was quite surprised when I told him that I was on stock boost level ( 11.8 psi ish ) as my HKS EVC IV was rendered inoperative by my friendly Dodge dealer ( they disconnected all 3 hoses off of the stepping motor, as I later found out ).

Nice guy ( Jeff ), nice looking car. He said that he had a website called Midwest Import Racing. net or something similar, but I have been unable to locate it just yet ( he said to try mwir.net, but that doesnt go anywhere )

My mods -

* K&N FIPK
* Stillen Downpipe
* gutted remaining pre-cat
* HKS Turbo Exhaust
* ACT Street Clutch

I had less that a 1/4 tank of 93 octane left when this happened.
*here's the link to the original story*
http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=109257
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
good kill. This is a white vr4 with exhaust roaming around here. I only seen it once and was not in my car.:mad: I wonder if this wrx guy had FP turbo.... I don't think no one is in the 12s on a completly stock turbo w/o nitrous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
AWDTWNTURBO said:
* stock turbo
* only one cat left out of 3
* improved exhaust
* boosting to 19 psi
* functional hood scoop / air induction
* all other supporting mods, next was to upgrade the turbo
There's no possible way he can be running 12s with only the above modifications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
Is it even possible to run 19psi on the stock turbo without doing serious damage, I thought overboost fuel cut was 17.5?

-joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
Re: Re: Stealth TT Vs WRX

bedabi said:

There's no possible way he can be running 12s with only the above modifications.
I agree. That 19psi seems fishy to me. He's either lying about the boost, or lying about the turbo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
Is it even possible to run 19psi on the stock turbo without doing serious damage, I thought overboost fuel cut was 17.5?

-joe
I believe there is a variance. Some cars boost cut at 17 others at 20 etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
He was being a bit "generous" on his quarter mile slip. I have yet to see a sub 13 second slip on a stock turboed car without nitrous. Frankly, I'd like to see the time slip.

19psi is overkill for the stock turbo as well. Stock Boost cut is 17.5 psi, so unless he had some kind of fuel cut defender he was full of **** there as well.

I've seen some very nice Stealth RT's come through the dealership I work at. I talked to one of the onwers for awhile and he gave me a ride in his car. Cruising around town I could really feel the bulk of the car, but on the highway it felt suprisingly quick for a stock car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
19 psi stock turbo? No. The stock turbo is hopelessly inefficient at that kind of boost. It'd be better to talk to the guys in Engine Performance 'cause they know more about it than me, but from what I understand, you'll actually start LOSING power over 16 or 17 psi because so much heat is generated by the turbo trying to work too hard.

Just one other thing FYI since this guy, while nice enough, sounds like he was full of crap: our hood scoops are functional stock - they feed the air-to-air intercooler plus piping a little cool air down into the turbo area to help keep it cool.

Now for my info, do you know what kind of 1/4 your car runs? I don't know jack about the Stealth - basically a 3000GT, right? I would've thought that with a mildly modded WRX vs. a mildly modded Stealth, the WRX would win. Only because I was under the impression that stock vs. stock the WRX would win. Not to put your car down or anything - I remember those cars being very fast in there day (like 0-60 in the low 6's?), but it is an older car and the average car seems to be getting faster and faster and the WRX is damn FAST compared to the average car today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I think that you can attain 19+psi boost spike without boost cut.

However, on my recent drive north-bound on the 5, I got boost cut around 18psi. So unless he has an ECU upgrade, boost is limited. The stock ECU will also pull the timing if he's able to hit 19psi. If he has a stock turbo then I can also attest that it will run out of breath at the upper redline limit.

It looks like the guy was more show than go.

happy motoring...BlueMax
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
Just to be clear - I don't think it's a matter of boost cut - that's easy and cheap to over-ride. Just that you will end up with less power at 19psi than at 17psi due to the inefficiency of the stock turbo. Heck, the thing runs out of breath at 14.5psi!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
GV27 said:

Now for my info, do you know what kind of 1/4 your car runs? I don't know jack about the Stealth - basically a 3000GT, right? I would've thought that with a mildly modded WRX vs. a mildly modded Stealth, the WRX would win. Only because I was under the impression that stock vs. stock the WRX would win. Not to put your car down or anything - I remember those cars being very fast in there day (like 0-60 in the low 6's?), but it is an older car and the average car seems to be getting faster and faster and the WRX is damn FAST compared to the average car today.
Really?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
EVILTWIN said:
Not sure what that means. Most of that was a question. The only statement was that the WRX is fast compared to the average car today. That's just a fact. Or does the average car run a 14 second quarter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Ahhhhh, the misinformation is thick tonight.....

I belive Carlo ran a high 12 on the stock turbo, there is a detailed post about it over on I-club.

boostin1320 ran a 12.8 with the stock turbo and MRT dogbox.

RiftsWRX reported meeting a guy running 21 psi on the stock turbo very few other mods, and 12.9 ET's.

The stock turbo will have absolutely no problems producing 19 psi at lower rpms, but it has absolutely no hope of holding that to redline. If you throw a open exhaust, c16 leaded race fuel and tons of boost at the stock turbo, it will do well. Very effective intercooling or water injection would be a bonus. Don't expect it to last very long like that though.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GV27 said:

Now for my info, do you know what kind of 1/4 your car runs? I don't know jack about the Stealth - basically a 3000GT, right? I would've thought that with a mildly modded WRX vs. a mildly modded Stealth, the WRX would win. Only because I was under the impression that stock vs. stock the WRX would win. Not to put your car down or anything - I remember those cars being very fast in there day (like 0-60 in the low 6's?), but it is an older car and the average car seems to be getting faster and faster and the WRX is damn FAST compared to the average car today.
Actually, 94+ VR-4's will hit 0-60 in as low as 4.7 with a very aggressive launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Ahhhhh, the misinformation is thick tonight.....
Ok, so you can run a 12.99 with the stock turbo and a dog box. Jesus, man. You make it sound like it's a common occurance to be running 12's on the stock turbo.

I suppose him trapping 108 mph is do-able on the stock turbo without nitrous too? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi Guys -

thought that I'd pop my head in here and say hello. I'm the original thread starter over at 3SI and the Stealth that raced him.

So, it IS possible to run 19 psi on the factory dryer, as long as you have a dogbox . . I guess. Seems that most of you think that he was sprayin' too . . . interesting. I didnt know that you guys took to that so much.

What about those traps ? Can you trap, on the stock dryer @ around 19 psi and using nitrous, around that 108 range ?

This Scooby I raced has a nice look to it . . . graphite wheels and all. I am in the Chicagoland area, so if this car / guy sounds familiar to anyone, feel free to chime in anytime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
38, Yes it would be possible to trap that kind of speed on the stock turbo but it would depend on what kind of shot he was using.

I have a close friend that has pretty much everything you could do to the car aside from upgrading the turbo and intercooler and he is running a 50 shot. He traps in the 106-107 range.

Running 19psi on the stock turbo is independant of whether or not he had a dogbox. Some guys might be able to dip into the 12's with the dogbox because of the better gearing. Dogboxes are pretty expensive.

The fact of the matter is that the stock fuel cut is 17.5 psi. Anything over that on the stock turbo is both overkill, and impossible to run in any sustained period (aside from boost spikes) without a HKS FCD or something like it.

My guess is that he still has the stock turbo, he is probably fudging on both his trap speed an ET's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
silverscooby said:
38, Yes it would be possible to trap that kind of speed on the stock turbo but it would depend on what kind of shot he was using.

I have a close friend that has pretty much everything you could do to the car aside from upgrading the turbo and intercooler and he is running a 50 shot. He traps in the 106-107 range.

Running 19psi on the stock turbo is independant of whether or not he had a dogbox. Some guys might be able to dip into the 12's with the dogbox because of the better gearing. Dogboxes are pretty expensive.

The fact of the matter is that the stock fuel cut is 17.5 psi. Anything over that on the stock turbo is both overkill, and impossible to run in any sustained period (aside from boost spikes) without a HKS FCD or something like it.

My guess is that he still has the stock turbo, he is probably fudging on both his trap speed an ET's.
Word. I agree w/ reed. I don't think he ran those times unless he was spraying or he had the forced performance turbo(modified stock turbo). Maybe he had the fp turbo?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top