ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions on staggered rims fitment on STI. I know people have been saying that you can NOT have staggered fitment on STI. Here is the first question: If I used a staggered fitment like 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 both with +35 offset and just installed same size tires let say 245/40/18 all around. Will I damaged anything? 2nd question: What if I installed 18x8.5 all around but have different offset to get that staggered look but same size tires, will I run into any problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
812 Posts
From what I understand, you have to have them all the same. If you do something goofy on one side relative to the other, you could have problems with your differentials.

I wouldnt do that....

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have two questions on staggered rims fitment on STI. I know people have been saying that you can NOT have staggered fitment on STI. Here is the first question: If I used a staggered fitment like 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 both with +35 offset and just installed same size tires let say 245/40/18 all around. Will I damaged anything? 2nd question: What if I installed 18x8.5 all around but have different offset to get that staggered look but same size tires, will I run into any problem? Thanks in advance.
1) Different widths of rims will give you slightly different assembly OD's. Not sure if it's enough to be trouble though...

2) With different offsets and the same width rims and tyres your diffs will be just fine. You will not be able to rotate your tyres easily though.

Have you thought of wheel spacers?

I do not recommend running little fronts and big rears for handling. In fact you want the exact opposite, but with 4 wheels the same and a set of spacers you don't have too much invested if you change your mind, or sell at a later date. (Wheel bearings don't like straying too far from the proper offset, but that is another issue...)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
it's fairly common to find AWD platforms running wider front rims vs rear (this dials out some understeer, providing more grip in the front)- usually 1/2-1" difference front to rear- as long as your running the same tire on all four corners your diffs will be fine

Web Foot points out the biggest drawback- no ability to rotate, and that is a drawback- as you probably know the fronts wear significantly faster than the rears (not as fast on the street, faster w/ motorsport applications)

I've thought about doing this a couple of different times over the years- the above reason has kept me from actually doing it- now if a guy was fully sponsored and tire cost was someone else's worry......... :)

I did start running 5mm wheel spacers in the front last year, it definitely dialed out some understeer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Web foot STI and Big Sky WRX, thanks for the info. So I can play with the offset as long as I stick with the same size tires? I am new to this 4WD STI thing. I can name a few 4wd car which come with staggered tires from the factory. Have anyone here persoanlly damaged a Diff and verified that the cause was definitely done by installing different size tires? I really wanted to get the staggered look, bigger lip in the rear and smaller lip in front.:cool: :)Thanks

1) Different widths of rims will give you slightly different assembly OD's. Not sure if it's enough to be trouble though...

2) With different offsets and the same width rims and tyres your diffs will be just fine. You will not be able to rotate your tyres easily though.

Have you thought of wheel spacers?

I do not recommend running little fronts and big rears for handling. In fact you want the exact opposite, but with 4 wheels the same and a set of spacers you don't have too much invested if you change your mind, or sell at a later date. (Wheel bearings don't like straying too far from the proper offset, but that is another issue...)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why would you want to run staggered sizes? It's not going to get you anything in a car that splits power 50/50 front/rear. It's just going to put additional stresses on the diff.

it's fairly common to find AWD platforms running wider front rims vs rear (this dials out some understeer, providing more grip in the front)- usually 1/2-1" difference front to rear- as long as your running the same tire on all four corners your diffs will be fine
My AWD 911 tires were almost 3" (70mm) different front to rear. On the 911 Turbo the difference is over 3" (80mm). :) But that car is a major exception to the rule.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Why would you want to run staggered sizes? It's not going to get you anything in a car that splits power 50/50 front/rear. It's just going to put additional stresses on the diff.

it's mad tYte JDM driftO stylz yO, ima do dis to my whip...go driftin with skylines.

My AWD 911 tires were almost 3" (70mm) different front to rear. On the 911 Turbo the difference is over 3" (80mm). :) But that car is a major exception to the rule.
edit:your 911 probably has some crazy automatic torque varying gadgitry that's set up for the tire size. you have to love those crazy Germans.

N

·
0 Posts
^^ exacly!!! i heard people running sataggerd rims on 350z's went BACK to NON staggered rims because they performed worse LOL...so yea its all about the need for speeed look..dont forget to get wings and stickers...they give 10+ WHP each

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
you CAN run different size tires front vs rear BUT they have to be nearly identical in overall height- this is very, very hard to do- the tolerance for the center diff is very tight-so tight that often one unrepairable flat tire means buying four!

AND you still have the same concern as above- no way to rotate front<->rear

as far as playing w/ offsets front vs rear- you'll run into the same problem-a slightly wider track front has some performance advantage- with that line of thinking you might consider slightly lower offset rims in front, higher rear BUT tire rotation again raises it's head- you could dismount/remount the tires front to rear, but that is costly and time consuming- a small spacer up front accomplishes the same thing MUCH easier :)

N

·
0 Posts
^^ see that is the price we pay for such incredible handling and superior cornering. You gotta take care of your differentials, i have been racing indroor and out door on AND off road remote control cars since i was 13 and im 30 now. I have recently stopped that hobby cuz i was really into it seriously and it was an expensive hobby at some point i decided id rather spend ridiculous cash on a real car rather than a fake one. Point being i always took meticulous care of my differentials especially in an offroad vehicle, of course your saying 'cmon these are real cars those are toys' well yes and no todays r/c car has some very real technology. Ive had some very technical onroad 'touring'style cars that had some serious technology youd be impressed(check out the tc5 or the hot bodys 'cyclone' , i had a tc4).
The differentials on these r/c cars were 'ball differentials' and needed to be greased with certain wt grease for different circustances or track conditions, the rule was the same on the r/c cars differentials when one tire goes bad you gotta replace all four. Its amazing they actually make belted radial performance tires in different profiles, and sell different rims for these on road touring style cars. I miss the hobby alott but id rather spend the $$ on my wrx, most of my mods have come from selling off my r/c stuff(which i had plenty of)

Heres a shot of what a tc4 looks like, you cant really see how insanely technical the car is(it has MAJOR adjustability and upgrade-ability, mines looked basically just like that ill dig up pics later)....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I am a little confuse:confused: I thought it was because of the traction and not the overall diameter thing that damaged diffs? So if I am able to somehow find let say RE-01R in 235/40/18 820 Revs per miles in front and 265/35/18 823 revs per miles rear I will be ok? Thanks
you CAN run different size tires front vs rear BUT they have to be nearly identical in overall height- this is very, very hard to do- the tolerance for the center diff is very tight-so tight that often one unrepairable flat tire means buying four!
Yes, that will be next! :thumbup:
so yea its all about the need for speeed look..dont forget to get wings and stickers...they give 10+ WHP each

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
^^ exacly!!! i heard people running sataggerd rims on 350z's went BACK to NON staggered rims because they performed worse LOL
Thats what I did and there was a definite improvement, a lot less under steer.

I'd imagine the reverse would be true by beefing up the rear tires on a wrx. The problem is since I've never seen anyone do it it's difficult to find out without just plunking down the cash and trying it.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Now I am a little confuse:confused: I thought it was because of the traction and not the overall diameter thing that damaged diffs? So if I am able to somehow find let say RE-01R in 235/40/18 820 Revs per miles in front and 265/35/18 823 revs per miles rear I will be ok? Thanks

The problem you run into with those tire spec is:

Those are generic tech specs and not ACTUAL measured numbers. The individual tires vary so much from factory, that if the 265's are a little too big (1/32 or 2) or the 235's are a little too small you are screwed. Now with that said, you can buy different sized tires (but close to same size) and have the fronts or rears "shaved" to the right size, but if your tires wear at a different rate you run into the same problem.

The understated point BIGSKY is trying to make is not just that you won't have the ability to rotate, its that the wear rates front to rear are soo different (even with same sized tires) that your fronts will quickly be out of spec of the rears and not even close to worn down all the way. Not being able to rotate means you cannot alternate wear between the front and rear tires to keep them the same overall size. With this different sized tire or bigger rim method, you'll be buying all 4 tires or shaving 2 new ones potentially every 20k miles because the actual diameter of the tires will be so different front to rear, caused by wear.

Make sense? :bill:

·
Registered
653 Posts

It's relative speed not traction on the street that tears up the diffs. Going down the road in a straight line all 4 tyres need to be doing the same rpm. That way the difs are not working at all. We don't spend that much time cornering.

For performance you want more traction at the heaver end. That's why the 911 and it's derivatives run more rubber in the rear. The working man's way around this is to run more track on the heaver end. Hence spacers. (I used up my offset allowance with some SSR +48 mm wheels.) Subaru has much more weight on the front.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
those are very close in size (overall diameter)- you might want to check the owners manual, but I believe it says within a 1/10th"

But again, not having the ability to rotate is a real downside to running different size tires and/or different size rims

1 - 15 of 15 Posts