ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the forums and often people discus their car as being a particular stage. But they don't always mention a particular manufacturer.

Looking around at the various vendor sites, I see that different manufacturers have different definitions of the Stages.

So, what, atleast in conversation on this board, qualifies as a Stage 1, 2, etc. car? (i.e. If I were to say my car was Stage 3, what would most people expect for mods?)

Thanks, just curious. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stages seem pretty arbitrary and dependent on the manufacturer. I think it would be equally arbitrary for the board to come to a consensus on what is a stage 1,2, or 3. If people want to tell about their car, they should mention the tuner's name when saying what stage or what the modifications actually are.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the other problem is that i could have a Cobb "Stage 3" Accessport, but still be running stock suspension.

my next door neighbor could buy the Cobb "Stage 3" suspension (for example, i'm not even sure they have a Stage 3) and we would both say we were "stage 3" which ceases to have any meaning.

i'm really perplexed by people saying "oh, well, i'm a "1.5" or a "2.5" until i buy some additional gizmo that will make re-define my car.

i think it's all bogus marketing hype that has very little utility outside of childish bragging rights.

trip. <---- stage 0

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
it's not bragging rights. it's just a simplified way to look at someone's car and what they have done. these stages are based on power, not suspension mods.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
LtTripMD said:
the other problem is that i could have a Cobb "Stage 3" Accessport, but still be running stock suspension.

my next door neighbor could buy the Cobb "Stage 3" suspension (for example, i'm not even sure they have a Stage 3) and we would both say we were "stage 3" which ceases to have any meaning.

i'm really perplexed by people saying "oh, well, i'm a "1.5" or a "2.5" until i buy some additional gizmo that will make re-define my car.

i think it's all bogus marketing hype that has very little utility outside of childish bragging rights.

trip. <---- stage 0
Actually, Stage 0 is a performance stage in the Vishnu pantheon of upgrades, so you can't even say that. ;)

Also, you can't say that you're Cobb Stage 3 AccessPort, because they won't freakin' release it. :mad: :mad: (Can you tell that I'm waiting for it?)

TurboXS was early on the scene with their upgrade schema, so people sort of adopted it as a standard on the forums. Stage 1 means some sort of EM, Stage 2 means EM plus a turboback and maybe an uppipe, Stage 3 adds an intercooler, Stage 4 is a turbo, pump and injector upgrade. It's just a shorthand, nothing to get excited about.

Edit: Oh, and the Stage 2.5 thing is a Cobb reflash thing; basically it's those of us that are using their VF30 or 34 reflash. It's not their forthcoming Stage 3, but it's definitely more than 2, see?:)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
even though txs uses stage 1 as having a utec already, I don't assume someone has a utec if they say that they are stage 1 or 2. I just assume they have a up/dp/muffler really. if we're talking cobb, then I assume em from the jump, of course.

·
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
o then... so what am I? stage I, II, or III?? lol

i am mixed with a bit of each.

I dont have EM, so technically i am not stage I
I have everything in stageII
I have the uppipe for stageIII but no upgraded IC

- so i have none of stageI, all of stage II minus EM, and half of stage III... (u/p but no IC)

:) so what am i? I have all components of stage III except EM and IC

(so am i 2.5?)
I pretty much assume EM from the get-go with all the stage stuff. You're not getting the full benefit of the hardware without it.

Otherwise you could play silly games all day:
"I'm Stage 4, minus the turbo upgrade, injectors, pump, turboback, uppipe, EM, ...also known as stock"

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I pretty much assume EM from the get-go with all the stage stuff. You're not getting the full benefit of the hardware without it.

Otherwise you could play silly games all day:
"I'm Stage 4, minus the turbo upgrade, injectors, pump, turboback, uppipe, EM, ...also known as stock"
I am fully aware of how EM could help my car perform... but i just dont have the money for AP right now.

personally, I really dont think anyone starts out with a utec or something similar... cobb reflash or AP are good starting mods, but going off of the TXS stages, i agree with snowvert; no one really has utec to start with.
(most people dont get utec until they have already upgraded the turbo) cobb would be different though.

so i suppose i am just stageIII minus IC. so I think I will start to call myself stage2.5 :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
I am fully aware of how EM could help my car perform... but i just dont have the money for AP right now.

personally, I really dont think anyone starts out with a utec or something similar... cobb reflash or AP are good starting mods, but going off of the TXS stages, i agree with snowvert; no one really has utec to start with.
(most people dont get utec until they have already upgraded the turbo) cobb would be different though.

so i suppose i am just stageIII minus IC. so I think I will start to call myself stage2.5 :)
EM was my first mod. I thought it would be my last. :rolleyes:
You will cause some confusion if you start calling yourself Stage 2.5, but whatever floats your boat...:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. Ok. I figured it was more encompassing, including suspension etc.

Has anyone laid down an upgrade path? Just using general terms, it would standardize the stages..

I was looking to get a WRX, but I realized I just dind't have the money right now. So I'm looking at picking one up a couple years from now. But I can't help looking at the vendor sites and planning my upgrades already. ;) I divided them up into stages and this is a basic rundown.

Stage 1 would be adjusting the car to make up for some of the compromizes the factory made. ALso, ultimately to provide a good foundation for the rest of the stages. Suspension mods, rims and tires, guages, and driver-based improvements (Short shifter). EM is a possibility for this too..

Stage 2 would be the first real power adders. Up-pipe, turbo-back, EM if not in STage 1, as well as Intake if you plan to go higher.

Stage 3 would entail turbo, fuel system, and better IC.

Stage 4, in my plan, would be the serious mods. Probably not where I'm headed... This would entail serious engine mods, better suspension, as well as safety mods for racing.

But that's just my little plan.. My goal is 350-400 crank hp daily driver with the fastest spool and flattest torque curve I can get. I'm eyeballing the VF34, but the Garretts have a good rep, so I guess we'll see what the new bolt-ons go for..

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
EM was my first mod. I thought it would be my last. :rolleyes:
You will cause some confusion if you start calling yourself Stage 2.5, but whatever floats your boat...:)
EM was your first mod.... but if you read above i said cobb is a different story. ecu reflash and AP is a different story. many people start with that

but utec and such isnt exactly a first mod type thing

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
EM was your first mod.... but if you read above i said cobb is a different story. ecu reflash and AP is a different story. many people start with that

but utec and such isnt exactly a first mod type thing
I read what you said, no need to keep repeating yourself. You're touchy!:cool:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
you can look at each major components system in stages...

stage I, II, III brakes

stage I, II, III suspension

its not as common but its just kinda away to say how upgraded you are without spouting off a list of stuff. its just kinda assumed you did this and that by what stage youre on...

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I read what you said, no need to keep repeating yourself. You're touchy!:cool:
not touchy, just dont understand why you are not getting my point.
many people use TXS as a reference guide for "stages". but the thing is that TXS stageI is a utec. But most people will not start off with a utec. its kinda pointless and you will spend an insane amount of $$ in tuning for new mods all the time.

all i am trying to say is that cobb reflash or AP is a good starter mod, and even better if you have basic bolt on stuff.... but i dont think we should consider txs's stageI the way they have it since no one really starts off with Utec.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
honestly, it's pretty moot. some say soandso is this stage because of this and others might say soandso is at that stage for that. it's all relative for who you are talking to, imo, but for the general concensus we all get it pretty much.

·
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
not touchy, just dont understand why you are not getting my point.
many people use TXS as a reference guide for "stages". but the thing is that TXS stageI is a utec. But most people will not start off with a utec. its kinda pointless and you will spend an insane amount of $$ in tuning for new mods all the time.

all i am trying to say is that cobb reflash or AP is a good starter mod, and even better if you have basic bolt on stuff.... but i dont think we should consider txs's stageI the way they have it since no one really starts off with Utec.
Whatever. I think the stages are a good general reference. As happens all too frequently when I'm talking to you, DTR, I get your point. I just don't agree with it. You do go on the defensive very quickly, whether you see it or not. :wiggles:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts