ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok earlier tonight me and a buddy started workin on installin my turbo/pinks/pump into my rex. we started with the pump. that was easy and it was all good. then the injectors. godalmighty those are a PITA. we did the driver side and by the end of it my back was hurting and its 2am so i said F-it and only put the top 2 bolts on the green protecting POS that covers the fuel rails.

seriously after i sleep tonight im going to try and tackle the passenger side which im sure is torture. i dont think the turbo will be hard compared to injectors.

seriously to anyone who has done this themselves i salute you!!

oh and and im supposed to load stage 4 and the new parameters then start the car up or what? god i hope it works so i dont hafta take it all apart again lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and me and my friend got high off the damn gas when we did that fuel pump haha

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
I wish you guys all the luck... ;)

Let us know what happens later...

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Injectors aren't that bad, but if you have injectors that need resistor packs it can be a wee-bit more fun. Pinks are a pretty much plug and play install once you get the GBOD's off you're home free.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stage IV = Way easier than people make it out to be, patience is key with the GBOD's and then you're home free. Me and a friend did it in 6 hours, tear down, reinstall, and drive away! Get some good tunes, a few beers, and StageIV install is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'll be starting on my turbo, pinks, & fuel pump today. The injectors seem to be the only issue, but they probably won't be too bad. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I found the passenger side easier. The biggest pain on the GBOD's is that breather cover. The driver side was just harder and had more crap in the way. The pass. side with the air box and ram removed was much easier. Turbo should be pretty easy if you have two people (hard to put oil line, line up the bolts, and get the turbo inlet hose on by yourself).

Most time consuming part (pound for pound) is putting the coolant in. Took me about a half hour of burping, refilling, cleaning, recycle.

Good luck youll have fun once youre done.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Flex said:
Most time consuming part (pound for pound) is putting the coolant in. Took me about a half hour of burping, refilling, cleaning, recycle.

Good luck youll have fun once youre done.
The big secret of the cooling tank is to not remove it, just swing it out of the way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was under the impression (first time) that swapping the turbo requires draining the coolant (coolant lines via turbo). Never really looked into it since its about time for the swap anyway. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Flex said:
I was under the impression (first time) that swapping the turbo requires draining the coolant (coolant lines via turbo). Never really looked into it since its about time for the swap anyway. Oh well.
I unbolted the res., bungee corded it out of the way, and capped and plugged the coolant lines I broke loose. It kept the burping and mess to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Taz said:
injectors are not that hard, getting to them is a PITA
It's not that difficult if you just take your time instead of frantically ripping and pulling at the GBOD's like most do. If you just carefully look and figure out exactly what needs to be done, both sides are an easy affair. The turbo install is cake. If done right, it's a 30-45 minute affair.

·
Registered
359 Posts
BrianH said:
Injectors aren't that bad, but if you have injectors that need resistor packs it can be a wee-bit more fun. Pinks are a pretty much plug and play install once you get the GBOD's off you're home free.
Yep! nothing like cutting and splicing!

Passenger side is easier then driver's side.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Need4Boost said:
Yep! nothing like cutting and splicing!

Passenger side is easier then driver's side.

It's not soo much the cutting & soldering as it is just running it neatly and taking the timeto job to do it right.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Couple of things :

Replace that clamp on the oil return with a worm clamp. Put the dp on last, AFTER you get the clamp tightened. You can tighten the clamp from the bottom using a loooong angled plier to get it in place and a long screwdriver to tighten.

Watch those washers carefully on the oil feed, the bottom one likes to escape.

The passenger side GBOD is useful to put back on because it holds a bunch of lines and hoses. In particulat that aluminum pipe (for the AC?) should be secured. I cut the bottom tee off the GBOD, and it was easy to get it back.tou can do the same to the drivers side, but I didn't bother. I just got a connector and stuck the breather hoses back together.

If you have the stock Y-pipe, warm the pipe with a heat gun, and lube it with oil. you won't believe how easy it slides on the turbo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts