ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from the information i have learned with the searches. The 05 wrx trans is not the best. i was planning on geting a tbe and cobb ap. But with that ammount of power being ran it seems like the trans could be on the verge of breaking. Should i stay away from stage 2 or not. It seems like id be better off with a ppg if i went to stage 2.

Thank you

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Go stage 2. Uber fun and if you arent an idiot, your tranny will be ok. When it breaks, put in PPG's. Oh and the 05 5MT is only 2nd to the 06 5MT.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and the 05 5MT is only 2nd to the 06 5MT.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldn't the 06-07 trannies be more weak due to the upgrade in the displacement. I've been hearing about more tranny problems with the 06-07 than other years...

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok i rock an '02 83000 miles i want to go stage two but should i go with a bit more sturdy trans? just wondering bc ive heard 02's have "glass gears".

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You'll be fine. I have about 64K miles on my 02 and have been stage 2 for about 3 years. I haven't had any problems. My friend is running a GT35R on his stock tranny with a 2.5 (2002) WRX and he also has never had a break. He drives the crap out of the car too. Its amazing.

I'd say you don't really have to worry about it unless you're constantly launching your car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in here, I'm Stage 2 on the stocker gearbox. Was stock for about 50k, then Stage 2 for 59k (I'm at 109k right now).

The gearbox is fine, honestly. This of course assumes that you drive like a normal human being and not Speed Racer. That is, keep the banzai AWD launches to a minimum, when you do, perform it responsibly (e.g. not dropping the clutch at 4k).

If you are going to be a track rat, then yes, I would suggest getting a stronger gearset, as the stocker will most likely die sooner rather than later. I hear the RA's are a pretty good aftermarket set.

e...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah its still scary though..to spend 700$ goto the track and possibly loose your trans...even if your a great driver...3000 to repair your trans..at least to repair with a ppg set.

alota green

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Strength table of WRX 5mt's:
strongest to weakest

2006 strong
2003-2004
2002 weak

make sense?
This has never been confirmed. The only trans change confirmed by subaru is that they improved the gearbox from 04+ from the 02-03 gears. It is a straight up myth that they beefed up the gears every year.

The fact is that the 06 trans makes more torque and actually takes more abuse than previous years due to its lower final drive gear ratio. Personally I hear about more 06 owners breaking gears than 04-05 owners.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
from the dyno meet I organized both stage 2 wrxs one being 04, one being 06

~220 whp, 220wtq

~220 whp, 260 wtq

see the difference, this is why they are more likely to break gears but you should be fine

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
This has never been confirmed. The only trans change confirmed by subaru is that they improved the gearbox from 04+ from the 02-03 gears. It is a straight up myth that they beefed up the gears every year.
Confirmed also that 06 got double syncroed first as well.

The fact is that the 06 trans makes more torque and actually takes more abuse than previous years due to its lower final drive gear ratio. Personally I hear about more 06 owners breaking gears than 04-05 owners.
My tranny makes torque.....sweet I thought my engine did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you mean by this?
Strength table of WRX 5mt's:
strongest to weakest

2006 strong
2003-2004
2002 weak

make sense?[/QUOTE]

Just figured I would point this out if anyone else searches for this thread.
The above is not entirely true. March 2002 and later transmissions where the same as 2003's (RA width gears). Subaru did a ninja move and replaced the gearset without telling anyone. If your tranny code is TY754VN2BA you have the wider gears.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Confirmed also that 06 got double syncroed first as well.

My tranny makes torque.....sweet I thought my engine did.
Link me to the press release saying they have an improved gearbox...or was it the salesman that told you that?:rolleyes:

people who cant drive + 260 wheel torque = broken gears

end of story

·
Registered
114 Posts
at least you dont have to purposely miss third because your afraid of busting the tranny.

i pretty much take it to 35mph in 2nd then go to 4th gear if im driving mildly agressive. I could go into more details but im lazy

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm running vf39 on my MY02 wrx on stock tranmission

So far no real issues (syncros feel like they are slowly dieing)

been vf39 setup for about 3k miles.

But I don't go dragging every month. I just drive spirited through open corners.

Like everyone is saying. As long as you don't beast it through the gears you should be fine. And if you do launch don't just drop it. When i launch, I do the
PRECISE: Throttle action during launch, with a quick release of the clutch. excerpt from http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167938

1 - 20 of 23 Posts