ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad of an idea would it be to go stage 2 with stock CBE? The only mods I have at the moment are the K&N filter panel and AP Stage 1. 2004STi. I figure a DP is my next step because it fits my budget much nicer. Would it hurt to go stage 2 after that or would I just not realize the true output potential? Too much back pressure?

I'd like to hear the concerns or endorsements from you more advanced guys. I'm no tuner by any means, just a guy who wants to play the upgrade game safely with considerations for engine damage and PA emissions.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
How bad of an idea would it be to go stage 2 with stock CBE? The only mods I have at the moment are the K&N filter panel and AP Stage 1. 2004STi. I figure a DP is my next step because it fits my budget much nicer. Would it hurt to go stage 2 after that or would I just not realize the true output potential? Too much back pressure?

I'd like to hear the concerns or endorsements from you more advanced guys. I'm no tuner by any means, just a guy who wants to play the upgrade game safely with considerations for engine damage and PA emissions.
That is 100% fine. All you need for Stage 2 is to remove 1 cat and reflash. The axleback doent make a difference besides for sound.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is 100% fine. All you need for Stage 2 is to remove 1 cat and reflash. The axleback doent make a difference besides for sound.
How bout high flow cats? Not sure I'll make it through emissions if I remove any. I kinda like the idea of keeping the car looking stock and I definitely don't need any more attention drawn to me.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
How bout high flow cats? Not sure I'll make it through emissions if I remove any. I kinda like the idea of keeping the car looking stock and I definitely don't need any more attention drawn to me.
You have two cats after the Turbo, you should remove both and replace them with ONE high flow cat. I have one HF cat and I passed NY emissions which is OBD-II scan AND a probe up the tail pipe to check actual emissions while the car is idling.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have two cats after the Turbo, you should remove both and replace them with ONE high flow cat. I have one HF cat and I passed NY emissions which is OBD-II scan AND a probe up the tail pipe to check actual emissions while the car is idling.
That's the info. I'm looking for. Pretty sure PA tests are the same way. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
That's the info. I'm looking for. Pretty sure PA tests are the same way. Thanks!
Yea you should be set. Enjoy flashing to Stage 2.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea you should be set. Enjoy flashing to Stage 2.
It's gonna be a while yet, but at this point Stage 1 is still amazing me. Had a 335i driver so mad at me this morning before rush hour because he couldn't lose me on the highway.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
It's gonna be a while yet, but at this point Stage 1 is still amazing me. Had a 335i driver so mad at me this morning before rush hour because he couldn't lose me on the highway.
hahha nice. 335 is a nice car, but the STI is almost $20,000 cheaper (when you fully load the options on a 335)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, that's not true. The stock WRX axleback is quite restrictive. It will make quite a difference if you are really trying to make good power on a stage 2 car (read: protune).

However, I'm guessing you plan to use an AP, you can surely run the Cobb stage 2 OTS tune without many problems.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Actually, that's not true. The stock WRX axleback is quite restrictive. It will make quite a difference if you are really trying to make good power on a stage 2 car (read: protune).

However, I'm guessing you plan to use an AP, you can surely run the Cobb stage 2 OTS tune without many problems.
Ive run a Stage 4 with the stock axleback and with an aftermarket. The difference was less than 10whp. Nothing you would ever feel. The requirements for Cobb, UTEC and EcuTek stage 2 is a reflash and cat deletion, it does not require a new muffler.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ive run a Stage 4 with the stock axleback and with an aftermarket. The difference was less than 10whp. Nothing you would ever feel. The requirements for Cobb, UTEC and EcuTek stage 2 is a reflash and cat deletion, it does not require a new muffler.
+ 1
also the sti axelback is like a quater of an inche bigger than wrx one

·
Registered
250 Posts
would it be worth it to put an STi cbe on a wrx if you want an exhuast without putting 600 into something worth 10hp?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
would it be worth it to put an STi cbe on a wrx if you want an exhuast without putting 600 into something worth 10hp?
Restriction wise? Its a bit better im sure. Sound? It is louder.

I would download audio clips if I was you. I am *not* a fan of the STi muffler on a WRX, it sounds like metal rolling around a tin can (no idea it sounds so weird).

·
Registered
51 Posts
this is probably a stupid question, but what if you just take the cat-back off and just have an aftermarket downpipe?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hrm, I find that very hard to believe. Did you have the car retuned after you replaced the axleback?

My '06 WRX gained around 30 wtq and 20 whp after I slapped on a better flowing axleback. I did, however, retune it specifically for the axleback.

The STI axleback does flow quite a bit more (read: around 40% less backpressure) then the stock WRX axleback, there are some good flowtest results floating around nasoic.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Hrm, I find that very hard to believe. Did you have the car retuned after you replaced the axleback?

My '06 WRX gained around 30 wtq and 20 whp after I slapped on a better flowing axleback. I did, however, retune it specifically for the axleback.

The STI axleback does flow quite a bit more (read: around 40% less backpressure) then the stock WRX axleback, there are some good flowtest results floating around nasoic.
Well I have an 05, so 2.0L. But the stock axle back robbed less than 10 whp. I find it very hard to believe you gained 20 whp from a muffler. A Turboback exhaust in general only gives you 25 whp over a Stage 1 reflash.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is probably a stupid question, but what if you just take the cat-back off and just have an aftermarket downpipe?
Not sure I understand. You're saying aftermarket DP with nothing the rest of the way back? Unless you route that exhaust somewhere I'm thinkin you've got a good chance at poisioning yourself. The other thing would be a very annoying loud boxer rumble busting your ear drums.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i figured i would give it a try for a day or two haha. I dont think it could be that bad, but after a bit i will end up putting the stock cat-back on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts