ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 WRX. Went Stage 2 with it a couple months ago and haven't been happy since.

I actually really dislike going into boost now.. it's rarely a smooth process, generally some amount of shaking and shuddering if I gas it in 2nd or 3rd, if I start from 1st gear it feels good, though there is a lot of lag. I get a small kick around 3500 rpms but I don't get any hard acceleration until after 5k, at which point it kicks HARD.

That's on level ground. If I'm going up any significant hill (such as a mountain pass, of which there are a lot around me) I get a surging feeling in 2nd-5th gears. I can hear the turbo spool and the car surges forward, then loses power, then boosts again, then falls back again, etc etc. Feels almost like the rocking of a boat.

All vacuum lines are solid... replaced them when this first started happening at the suggestion of a very helpful Cobb rep. He theorized that the problem was that I was over boosting and the ECU was cutting boost, hence the surging (I was hitting 19psi, on a OTS Stage 2 map at 6000ft). He sent me some low-wastegate cycle maps and had me dial down on the waste gate adjustment arm. I dialed it back 2 full turns and he lowered the cycles to as low as he thought he could. The problem was lessened, but is still very prominent.

I actually took the car to a subaru dealer to have the turbo system inspected (I just moved to a new area and don't know who to trust for shops, there aren't any performance shops around that I can find). They told me everything looked fine when they pulled the DP. They said they couldn't diagnose a modded car, but when I loaded the "act like stock" map on the AP they said it felt normal aside from very minor boost surge... which they couldn't figure out.

I never had any of these problems stock or even Stage 1... I'm thinking I might just return the car to stock and sell the DP at a loss and either sell the AP or just keep it at Stage 1.

So I guess this is a last ditch effort... anyone have any ideas? Please?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Do you have an uppipe?

I'd be curious to see how your car reacts to a non-Cobb map. Eric @ Torqued Performance is based out of CO; see if he'd be willing to work with you.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have an up-pipe. Hopefully getting one within the next couple weeks.

I actually am not in CO right now... I'm living in Tahoe for school for the time being. But even so, I'm about 7 hrs from the Denver area back home -- which is where all the shops are. Is that something he could do remotely? I'm really not looking for anything fancy... a reliable stage 2 is plenty for me.

Also, as much as I like the idea of getting someone who really knows what they are doing to look at the car, but the idea of sinking more money into this on a "maybe" is somewhat unappealing.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Monk_Knight said:
I don't have an up-pipe. Hopefully getting one within the next couple weeks.

I actually am not in CO right now... I'm living in Tahoe for school for the time being. But even so, I'm about 7 hrs from the Denver area back home -- which is where all the shops are. Is that something he could do remotely? I'm really not looking for anything fancy... a reliable stage 2 is plenty for me.

Also, as much as I like the idea of getting someone who really knows what they are doing to look at the car, but the idea of sinking more money into this on a "maybe" is somewhat unappealing.
He tunes remotely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to camtuning.com his name is Cameron. Best tuner I've ever met and he has done over 500 cars. Mostly WRXs and STIs

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Looks like you lucked into a car with attributes that put it outside of Cobb's "bell curve" for when they were creating their OTS maps. Assuming that you've told us about all of the modifications, some component or another may be past its prime, and doesn't live well with the new map. How much mileage is on the car, out of curiosity?

OTS Stage 2 maps worked perfectly for both of my 2002's, both with and without uppipe swaps, so I have my doubts about that as a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Get a better tune. You have some issues going on there. As Ray pointed out, Cobb's maps can't fit everybody.

It'd me money well spent in my opinion. If there is something else amiss, the tuner will let you know. Make sure you find a good tuner.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've run Cobb OTS maps on my '04 STI (stage 2) and on my 2011 (stage 1) in CO with absolutely zero issues.

Sounds like something may be weird with your particular car like a bad component somewhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car has 132k on it right now. I was also thinking it might be some sort of component issue. Unfortunately, I live in quite a remote area, without much in the way of performance shops.
The closest major city is Reno, but they don't seem to have much. Sacramento is about 2 hrs away, and I think that I may have found a shop that will fit my needs down there:

DBTuned - Specializing in Japanese auto service and repair.

Found them searching the web for Subaru performance tuners in Sacramento, looks like people have been having good results. I gave them a call last night and got voicemail, hoping to hear back today if they can help me.

I did take the car into the Subaru dealership in Reno a month or so back and had them inspect the turbo system. They said everything looked perfect. I don't really know the extent of their inspection though (they told me they pulled the down pipe and looked inside).

Interestingly enough, I loaded the normal Stage 2 91 ACN map a couple days ago (instead of Cobbs custom low-wastegate map) and it feels a lot better. Still surges going up the passes, but feels much better around town. No more shaking under acceleration and such.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Monk_Knight said:
The car has 132k on it right now. I was also thinking it might be some sort of component issue. Unfortunately, I live in quite a remote area, without much in the way of performance shops.
The closest major city is Reno, but they don't seem to have much. Sacramento is about 2 hrs away, and I think that I may have found a shop that will fit my needs down there:
Reno:
Mayhem Tuning (renosubby @ Nasioc)

Fairfield (within hour of Sacramento):
Equilibrium Tuning, Inc.

I'd take either of them over DBTuned

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Monk_Knight said:
Well that's humbling. You found in ten minutes what I've been searching for for weeks. Thank you!
No problem.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I contacted both Mayhem and EQ Tuning. Haven't heard back from Mayhem... EQ Tuning recommended a bigger fuel pump, a manual boost controller, and a tune. Said it would run about $750 total and should solve all my problems.

Thoughts? I've never heard of upgrading the fuel pump for a Stage 2 setup and I thought MBC's were generally not encouraged for these cars.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Monk_Knight said:
I thought MBC's were generally not encouraged for these cars.
MBCs are not always recommended, because some people view them as a power knob. When properly tuned, they provide good boost control. The only downside is potential PTFB, which can be solved when used in conjunction with a solenoid as well.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Personally sounds like a fuel related issue.. It may be wise of you to go bigger on the pump regardless, it cant hurt anything since it will send back what wasnt used. Not sure I like the idea of a MBC but if tuned in and left alone I dont see much harm.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MBCs are not always recommended, because some people view them as a power knob. When properly tuned, they provide good boost control. The only downside is potential PTFB, which can be solved when used in conjunction with a solenoid as well.
PTFB? Not familiar with that one.

He said that the MBC wasn't absolutely necessary but was HIGHLY recommended. He said it would give much better boost control, especially with altitude changes.

T0rque said:
Personally sounds like a fuel related issue.. It may be wise of you to go bigger on the pump regardless, it cant hurt anything since it will send back what wasnt used. Not sure I like the idea of a MBC but if tuned in and left alone I dont see much harm.
He agrees with Cobb's assessment that the car is overboosting and that the ECU is cutting boost to try to regulate it. I don't have a proper boost gauge, but when using the Accessport I see a peak of 19psi, and that's at 6000 ft elevation. Could a fuel issue be the cause of this somehow?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The fuel isn't causing the issue. The computer calls everything.

I still don't see how these people are saying "yes this is your problem" without examining your car specifically.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts