ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so..
my rex has gone through some few changes..
i got my most basic get quick fast mods done..
mbc
dp
stealth back exh. setup
uppipe
cobb stage 2 93oct
...... now what?

for the next 4-5months, i am going for a conservative route with doing every maintenance thing i can do since im close to 85k miles ...
for exterior, i have modded headlights, lowering springs, sti rep grill, painted side, debadged..
-----------
as for maintenance.. im thinkin new air filter, fuel filter, engine oil, tranny oil, spark plugs, (i heard i had to change PCV? whats that?) coolant flush, bleed brake fluids..
------
i just got carbotech brake pads that i am installing this weekend...
and getting stainless lines for xmas..

---so as for power mods....
what can i do next without expensive turbo/inject/fuel pump?
would a bigger intercooler/hoodscoop benefit me?
anything else i can do?

·
Registered
764 Posts
They won't be big gains but things like pulley and intercooler hoses could be a good addition as well as tranny and motor mounts. Maybe even a nice catback which will give you some gains but it's mostly a sound mod. Also what about suspension mods, maybe some struts and springs and a rear sway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i have samco intercooler hoses and sti motor mounts =)

also i have another axleback waiting in my garage... its some muffler with a straight through piping design with a real 2004 STi end-tip... supposed to be very deep sound..

i only have the stock exhaust on bc of cops in ny.. my car is already yellow... loud yellow cars are very easy to spot.. =( i might even sell this exhaust and keep stock

and as for suspension.. perhaps rear sway/endlinks? but you really cant feel those unless you go auto-xing often... i mean i feel that my suspension is ok... i take my turns really hard..

i bought an extra set of stock struts for $80 (almost new) from a local who bought a set of teins... so i wasnt gonna upgrade to kgx or agp struts (i kno i mispelled it)

so how are pulleys?
tranny mounts ?
and for those who have the rear sway and endlinks? are the worth it?

(funny avatar ike)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Kenshin said:
so..
my rex has gone through some few changes..
i got my most basic get quick fast mods done..
mbc
dp
stealth back exh. setup
uppipe
cobb stage 2 93oct
Are you running the mbc and reflash simultaneously? :confused:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
strut tower bars and/or front/rear swaybars/endlinks. i'd recommend BOTH swaybars as they are built to compliment each other. if you go with just a rear, you will have a ton of oversteer and not be a neutral handling car. even if you don't plan on autocrossing, you will notice a difference with sways.

strut tower bars are the same, they will stiffen the chassis some (although not too much cause the sedan is pretty well built) but i have heard good reviews from them. (p.s. i don't have strut tower bars, only going off what people have told me). some of these are relatively cheap.

i say just save up and go for that turbo upgrade a little down the line...if you bought front/rear sways with endlinks, thats ALMOST a new vf34 turbo...just a thought :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you running the mbc and reflash simultaneously?
yes i am.. only bc i do not have the stock hose lines w/ the restrictor..i cant find it.. and i ordered one from teh dealer and they gave me some retarded other hose lines and i had to pay $38 for those... BAH..

anyone have a spare T connector + hoses w/ the restrictor?

i ran it w/o the restrictor and i only got 10psi =( and no its not bc i got the hose lines reversed

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
You may want to try and source a used set of hoses. I believe (only believe because I don't have concrete proof) that that is a bit on the dangerous side to run the mbc with a Cobb reflash.

·
48,722 Posts
Trainrex said:
You may want to try and source a used set of hoses. I believe (only believe because I don't have concrete proof) that that is a bit on the dangerous side to run the mbc with a Cobb reflash.
Yeah, it basically defeats the purpose of the reflash. The A/F map in there is set up to work with boost levels in a particular way. Until you get the correct hose, you're probably better off reflashing to stock maps and just using the MBC. (and be careful of PTHB, of course, under any circumstances..)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kenshin said:
also i have another axleback waiting in my garage... its some muffler with a straight through piping design with a real 2004 STi end-tip... supposed to be very deep sound..

i only have the stock exhaust on bc of cops in ny.. my car is already yellow... loud yellow cars are very easy to spot.. =( i might even sell this exhaust and keep stock
Give it a try! The axleback seems pretty easy to change out, and I'm sure you can take a quick spin around to see how loud it is without running into the local constable. ;) Plus if you get pulled over for the noise, just say it's an STi muffler that you can buy as an option from the dealer.

·
48,722 Posts
Trainrex said:
Partial thingy heavy bewbs?
Particularly Trying Hateful Babes... ;)

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
I recommend getting suspension stuff (and getting rid of the MBC). Power is only a small part of a high-performance car - make it handle like crazy now.

PTFB = Penile Tractor Feels Blue

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks a lot guys.
alrighty then.. imma try to find a set of stock hoses asap..
does it take time for the ecu to learn the psi levels? since the ecu was thinking i was on "stock levels" w/ the mbc?

alright i guess i'll try the axleback and more suspension items for the next few items.

cobb 2.5? i wish.. no $ yet.. i juss gotta save $ for next year..
the turbo prices have been going down.. by next year .. who knows.. vf30 for $300? =)

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Kenshin said:
thanks a lot guys.
alrighty then.. imma try to find a set of stock hoses asap..
does it take time for the ecu to learn the psi levels? since the ecu was thinking i was on "stock levels" w/ the mbc?

alright i guess i'll try the axleback and more suspension items for the next few items.

cobb 2.5? i wish.. no $ yet.. i juss gotta save $ for next year..
the turbo prices have been going down.. by next year .. who knows.. vf30 for $300? =)
All you need is the turbo and injectors to run the 2.5 setup. I've seen the turbos for that cheap, and I've seen used injectors for as low as $225. I got lucky and bought my injectors from someone on Nastysock for $250 shipped. If you keep your eyes open you could be running that setup for as little as $600 or so. Just some food for thought. :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how about the fuel pump?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts