ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this 2010 WRX 5 days ago. There is a good tuner near where I live. Alot of people vouches for him.

I've learned about stages recently, and it really intrigues me. I was thinking of getting and tubro back exhaust and have it retuned by that guy, so I would end Stage 2.

The gains looks nice but I wont be racing my car... See, when I bought my supermotard, I had the option between the bullet proof Suzuki DRZ400 or pay a little bit more, and get a "race ready" Husqvarna SMR510. I didn't regrete going for the SMR510 even thought I don't race it, I simply love having more power, even if I wont really use it and as long as it doesn't affect my machine reliability.

TL;DR
Can a stage 2(TBE/Tune only!) do any harm to my baby? I wanna love it long long time...:shakehead:

Thanks.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
CAN a stage2 harm the car.... yes
IS IT LIKELY TO?....no

Stage2 is generally considered 'relatively safe' for these cars. And as you are not planing on beating on it, there is not much cause for worry. Go for it!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
A competent tuner should be able to give you a safe StageII tune, in that if the motor goes, its likely to have gone stock. Look at dyno plots of stock cars, and you may even say its safer (CL fueling well into boost, timing being pulled).

As for shopping, go with any one of the vendors on here. Kronos Performance has some good prices.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
RallySportDirect also has good prices and knowledgeable staff. Great selection on exhausts too, and most have video reviews.

I've gotten several things there and have been very satisfied.

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find Turbo back exhaust for 2010 WRX on rallysportdirect. Does teans I have to find a down pipe and then find a diffrent brand catback?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
You can buy like/different parts, but just make sure they are standard lengths and similar flange (or else get an adapter)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
My bad, forgot you have a '10. For the dp, look at Invidia or Cobb. Both are great, IMO.

Cobb does make a total Stage II package for $2300, but you can piece your own package together for less.

Nameless Performance make a very popular axleback. It's the best sounding exhaust for the '08+ cars I've heard.

Sent from my Droid 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad, forgot you have a '10. For the dp, look at Invidia or Cobb. Both are great, IMO.

Cobb does make a total Stage II package for $2300, but you can piece your own package together for less.

Nameless Performance make a very popular axleback. It's the best sounding exhaust for the '08+ cars I've heard.

Sent from my Droid 2
Can't find the axle back only on their sites. I have an hatchback, maybe thats why...

My guess is Ill have to go either full turbo back kit, or catback + downpipe(and still, I can't figure if 2 diffrence brand will connect or not). Otherwise my mind is getting ****ed...:eek3:

By the way, is there any downpipe that would do a better job? Reliability wise?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
the 2010 hatch has a single tailpipe, so Nameless does not currently make an exhaust for your car.... which is sad, cause they do sound sweet.

For downpipes, the Cobb unit is considered by many to be the best catted DP available. I have also heard good things about Invidia.

for fitment... The Cobb DP is 3" till just after the cat, then downscales to 2.5" to be able to mate with stock. This unit will also mate with Invidia 3" cat-backs as well as any system that lists 'stock type' or 'OE type' donut gasket at the mid-pipe to down-pipe connection. If you are worried, you can either e-mail the place you will be buying from, or post here....chances are someone else here has the same or similar setup to what you end up choosing.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
the 2010 hatch has a single tailpipe, so Nameless does not currently make an exhaust for your car.... which is sad, cause they do sound sweet.
Not at all true, you have to call them and they usually have them in stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if the Cobb downpipe goes from 3 to 2.5, it mean it wouldn't work in a full 3" exhaust system?

Is there some noticable power gain to a full system? Or would it make more sense going just for a downpipe and maybe find an axle back for the sound?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Not at all true, you have to call them and they usually have them in stock.
really? They have never had them listed on their site. If I am wrong, glad to be, and would love to hear what a 2010 hatch nameless sounds like.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
So if the Cobb downpipe goes from 3 to 2.5, it mean it wouldn't work in a full 3" exhaust system?

Is there some noticable power gain to a full system? Or would it make more sense going just for a downpipe and maybe find an axle back for the sound?
Yes, the Cobb dp will mate to most 3" cat-backs from what I have read, it is just designed to also connect to stock cat-back.

Not real sure about the 2010 hatch, but general consensus is that the stock cat-back system is not real restrictive unless you are making decent power (aka more than stage 2). So a down-pipe and an axle-back should net you about the same HP (+/- 1-3HP about) as a full turbo back at the same stage 2 tune. Really the more noticeable thing between DP&axle-back vs the same system plus a mid-pipe (when only flat stage 2) will likely be due to the different resonator sound in the mid-pipe of the two different systems....which would still be negligible at best

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the Cobb dp will mate to most 3" cat-backs from what I have read, it is just designed to also connect to stock cat-back.

Not real sure about the 2010 hatch, but general consensus is that the stock cat-back system is not real restrictive unless you are making decent power (aka more than stage 2). So a down-pipe and an axle-back should net you about the same HP (+/- 1-3HP about) as a full turbo back at the same stage 2 tune. Really the more noticeable thing between DP&axle-back vs the same system plus a mid-pipe (when only flat stage 2) will likely be due to the different resonator sound in the mid-pipe of the two different systems....which would still be negligible at best
Thanks a whole lot.

Thanks to everyone else too.

Ima try to contact nameless and see if they have an axle back in stock for my 5 door 2010 :) And ill go ahead and follow my tuner recommendation with the COBB DP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts