ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be ill advised to flash in a stage 2 map without either gutting my stock uppipe/or installing a cattless one. i have a cattless tbe installed right now. i am just not looking forward to trying to pull that thing out, especially after the hell i went thru to install my dp last night. 5 yr old bolts do not want to come loose.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
You can but do it at your own risk. The cat is now 5 years old and cats by nature break down over time. The last thing you want is higher EGT's eatting that bad boy up and sending peices into your turbo.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
To answer your question, Yes you can run a Catted UP with a Stage 2 map.

But heed [email protected]'s warning. The Cats aren't made to last forever and are known as a failure point. Once it comes apart, its all over.

Since you just took the DP off it shouldn't be tough again, I'd just replace the UP.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice. i am just not looking forward to trying again to get the up out as those bolts just dont like to come loose.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Lahayeracing15 said:
wait i thought that the stage 2 map was specificaly for just a turbo-back....(downpipe,catback) ...... i know.... im new
To go StageII, all you need is an aftermarket DP (TurboXS makes a Steath-back exhaust that mates up to the stock muffler, and allows you to flash StageII) - many people go with the TBE or get a DP/CBE to more customize the exhaust sound ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
To go StageII, all you need is an aftermarket DP (TurboXS makes a Steath-back exhaust that mates up to the stock muffler, and allows you to flash StageII) - many people go with the TBE or get a DP/CBE to more customize the exhaust sound ;)
This is correct, however if you have a pre-'06 there is a cat in the up-pipe. Stage 2 maps alter the air/fuel ratio to create more power (among other things). Leaner = more power, but the less fuel there is in the cylinder, the hotter the combustion, leading to higher Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT). This excessive heat can break up the cats, particullarly if they are old, and guess where those peices go if they're in the up-pipe . . .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is correct, however if you have a pre-'06 there is a cat in the up-pipe. Stage 2 maps alter the air/fuel ratio to create more power (among other things). Leaner = more power, but the less fuel there is in the cylinder, the hotter the combustion, leading to higher Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT). This excessive heat can break up the cats, particullarly if they are old, and guess where those peices go if they're in the up-pipe . . .
the above equals :sadwave: turbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts