ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Guys

I live in Bahrain and there is only 1 place in the whole country that does Dyno tuning and mods making it very hard to get advice.It has been a nightmare to get the car tuned but thanks to XPT supplying a modded base map with definitions its all good now.

I fitted and Dyno tuned the following parts up to 290 WHP but to me its not enough and i honestly expected higher figures.

I dont wanna go crazy now but id like more power , Does anybody have some good advice about what to do next. At what point will i need to upgrade internals.Need to stay away from that if possible at this time.

My Transition so far

AEM Intake filter mated to turbo XS intake pipe
Invidia Q300 Cat Back
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Turbo XS FMIC
Turbo Smart Hybrid BOV
DBA4000 drilled rotors ( just arrived fitting this week )
hawk pads
good ridge braided lines
epic lowering springs
Cusco rear sway bar
cusco front strut brace
Prova D shaped steering wheel
Blitz turbo timer
Hood reworked with catches
Subaru OEM sports grill
opensource map tune from XPT and fine tuned on the Dyno
Full Alpine audio set up.Head unit,Amps,All speaker change + sub

looking for side skirts and front lip but shipping to here a big issue
Greddy oil cooler on order

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would say an upgraded Fuel Pump (Walbro 255) and larger injectors would be the next step, although if you are installing larger injectors, you may as well get an upgraded Turbo as well. A FMIC has no benefit with the Stock turbo, it just creates more turbo-lag. Sooo, fuel pump, turbo, injectors and a 3-port EBCS (electronic boost control solonoid) might be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Honestly, Im surprised with those numbers. For a STI that seems really low. so your stage 2 with a OTS map fined tuned on the dyno If I read yoru post correctly. Obviously every DYno is totally different but Most WRX's not STI's with those mods are dropping that kinda HP or over 300whp on 93.

Honestly has to be the dyno I would have thought you would be over 300 at the wheels. 290 is sexy though.
My end game is 300whp for DD in the spring.

·
Registered
279 Posts
An STi's internals should be fine as long as you upgrade to a moderately sized turbo, just don't go too crazy and get some whacking monster turbo haha

Blouch, from what I've heard about them seem to be a very reputable company and they seem to make good products.

THere are a whole bunch of different things you could do to make extra power. If you upgrade your turbo (obviously depends what size you get) w/your FMIC, fuel pump, injectors, ebcs and etc you should be making somewhere between 350-400whp, based off of what I've seen other guys make w/similiar setup. But again, this varies by dyno and also depends on the tuner and what you tell him you are looking for in the tune.

Some other mods that would benefit you would be: external wastegate (grimmspeed + Tial 38/44 mm), upgraded UnequalLengthHeaders or EqualLengthHeaders (which will get rid of that boxer rumble) and who knows, you might just want to get Grimmspeed to PnP (Port an Polish) your current turbo which can help increase power output/spool time.

I think your best bet is to talk to that tuner you have access to, see what he recommends and what he is comfortable tuning for. He will be able to give yuo a better idea of what HE thinks is the next best thing for you to get, based on his tuning abilities or whatever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sinister , id be happy with 400 (for a little while. LOL)

Kcwrxfan , I thought it was kinda low considering STI is 305 at the crank standard less some to the wheels. What do you think it should be.?

·
Registered
279 Posts

Kcwrxfan , I thought it was kinda low considering STI is 305 at the crank standard less some to the wheels. What do you think it should be.?
According to Cobb's dyno results, the STi only puts down about 225whp, same as the WRX. That is kind of reasonable due to the STi's power having to go through more differentials than the WRX and the STi is a good bit heavier than the WRX. If you are on 93 Oct. then you should be making more than 290whp with a protune, although you may just have a low reading dyno. It's hard to tell without some sort of comparison.

·
Registered
475 Posts
According to Cobb's dyno results, the STi only puts down about 225whp, same as the WRX. That is kind of reasonable due to the STi's power having to go through more differentials than the WRX and the STi is a good bit heavier than the WRX. If you are on 93 Oct. then you should be making more than 290whp with a protune, although you may just have a low reading dyno. It's hard to tell without some sort of comparison.
Look at Cobb's Site again their dyno of a stock 2011 STI shows 250whp. I have personally seen baseline STI's at our dyno days all pushing from 250-263whp. Like I said its the Dyno. if a Stock STI was thowing down 225whp stock, that's about a 27% Drive Train loss. Also go on Cobb's youtube page and basically same setup as Ian on WRX are pushing upper 280's too low 300's.

Everyone Dyno is different plus temp etc. so same dyno on different days would cause slight Change as well. Also depending on his OCT which I assumed its 93oct.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

there is ~ a 20% drivetrain loss (depending on a few factors including dyno) on our cars. so 290 to the wheels is actually ~ 360 horsepower. So you gained 60 horses at the engine. That's not bad at all, and 290 is a very common number for stage two at the wheels.

400whp is close to 500hp... out of a stock engine... that's going to be dangerous.

Are you talking about 400 crank horsepower, or wheel horsepower?

I personally have 380whp, and it's wild enough that it's detuned to 330whp for the street, and then 380 for the track. (that's ~480 crank horsepower).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes im running 93 , Tuner says it was doing 21.5 psi i think and the injectors were at 96%.

Can anyone recommend a turbo.

I think this will never end.!!!!!!

This is what you get coming off a modded R1 to a car. Ill never be happy i guess.But it makes the wife happy. Sort of.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
well... my turbo is a blouch dominator 1.5XT-r with 10cm housing. My tuner seemed to think that 420-430 wasn't an unreasonable goal. And looking at some others with the same turbo... I'd agree with him. I had him back off because of my stock engine.

You'll have a LOT of supporting mods to do (see my progress thread)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sinister , Just had a look mate. Is an intake really neccesary or can i get away with just upgrading the injectors and fuel pump along with the turbo.?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
at bare minimum... you should get an upgraded turbo inlet (with wire reinforcement), at sea level... a larger diameter intake (kstech is whom I'd recommend), injectors, fuel pump.

I'd also look at boost control (grimmspeed ebcs, or hallman pro mbc), and think about TGV deletes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the TGV deletes. 380whp at a mile high is insane man, that must be one fun ride haha ~205 drivetrain loss, about the same hold true for the WRX? My thoughts is that it would be slightly less than that?

To the OP, there are some videos of a guy on youtube with a 2011 sti, he got an FP Green turbo and hes putting down almost 370whp, might be worth looking into if you want more power and still a reasonably quick spool time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a play with an evo 9 this morning and it was an even race. Annoyed me a little bit so ive decided to go for this upgrade and thats my lot on this car.!. (missus will go crazy when she sees the credit card bill.lol)

Im looking at the blouch 1.5xt dominator.anybody have this unit and can recommend.Ive also been reading up that i should go for the 8cm version and not the 10cm inlet version as they crack after a while.?

Decided to go and see the tuner again today.
Tuner says today that i need the following to go with it.

Fuel Rail
1000cc Injectors
Fuel pump
Solenoid
Methanol kit (found out today we are 91 octane max here)

Is this enough.?. Are the TGV worth it.? theyre not cheap.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well , spoke to rsd today and they have recommended the following. Hope its all right

bloush 2.5 XT dominator
1000cc injectors
255 walbrouh fuel pump
tomei unequal lenght headers
AVO Silicone Turbo Inlet
grimmspeed boost solenoid

hope this all works without blowing my engine. lol

parts paid for and ordered and let the fun times roll

1 - 20 of 32 Posts