ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 09 WRX owner. Was looking at the Perrin Stage 1, and Stage 2. Stage 2 - 68 ft lbs 46 whp, Stage 1 - 54 ft lbs 38 whp. But wow the difference in cost is like $1300, for a gain of 14 ft lbs and 7 whp, worth it? I personally do not like the sound of the Perrin exhaust so probably doesn't make much sense in my case. The Stage 2 light is just the access port and down pipe (and still $1000) - mate up your own catback....

But this seems to illustrate the exhaust, especially the catback, has little to offer in regards to power gains and is more about "sound". I like the sound of the SPT, but is there a way to just buy an SPT muffler, versus the entire catback? Very few performance mufflers by themselves. Any deals on the SPT exhaust? After a 350Z, and C5 Vette need a bit more growl....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
honestly, find a used catback & downpipe and get an opensource stage 2 tune.

the "power packages" that perrin & cobb offer are WAY overpriced.

even if you buy a new exhaust & go opensource it's still a lot cheaper than getting the pre-made packages.

the power difference will be noticeable & i think you'll be quite happy w/ the results.

·
Premium Member
20,326 Posts
even if you want the simplicity of the accessport I recommend just buying the accessport and getting any downpipe/catback combination you want. Used is always the cheapest,.

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
I call those Stage packages "Sucker Packages". They're designed to rope people into thinking that you HAVE to purchase a package deal in order for it to work right, which just isn't true.

As has been said already any downpipe (bellmouth/divorced wastegate)/catback combination will work. Just find the combination that's right for your tastes in appearance, sound, and fits in your budget. Used is the best way to go when purchasing exhaust equipment, as long as it's not banged up to hell and back. I've seen full TBE's go for less than $500 quite a bit lately.

Another option you may want to look into is the open source tuning via a Tactrix cable with EcuFlas and Romraider. ~$150 as opposed to $700 for a new AccessPort.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I call those Stage packages "Sucker Packages". They're designed to rope people into thinking that you HAVE to purchase a package deal in order for it to work right, which just isn't true.

As has been said already any downpipe (bellmouth/divorced wastegate)/catback combination will work. Just find the combination that's right for your tastes in appearance, sound, and fits in your budget. Used is the best way to go when purchasing exhaust equipment, as long as it's not banged up to hell and back. I've seen full TBE's go for less than $500 quite a bit lately.

Another option you may want to look into is the open source tuning via a Tactrix cable with EcuFlas and Romraider. ~$150 as opposed to $700 for a new AccessPort.

:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts