ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newb when it comes to modifying my Subaru, and was curious whether my gas mileage would go to sh(i)t if I were to go stage one. Also what benefits are gained from stage 1 and what mods are necessary to go stage 1, seeing that I only hear everyone and their mother talking about stage 2.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In my experience, it will really only affect your MPG if you are into the boost a bunch. For normal driving, it is as good if not better than stock.

I have "stage 1" on my car, and really the only difference is a better map on the ECU. I used Cobb Accessport (AP) as I'm a newbie with no ECU tuner experience. It is simple to use but costs around $700 for a new AP. It is definetely worth it as it gives you some additional power and smooths out the power band. And it is unlikely to void your warranty.

If you know what you are doing, you can get a cable to interface to your ODBII connection, and find/load a map and get similar results, but there are risks involved and you need some gauges to make sure things are running properly. And did I mention knowing what you are doing. You could blow your motor easily if you do something wrong.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I went to stage 1 about a month ago using the Cobb Access Port. Since going to stage one I think that my MPG has actually changed for the better, and I LOVE boost. :D No extra parts are needed, just need to have some device to interface with the ECU.

I am not thinking stage two although my Tranny worries have me sticking with stage 1 for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm running the S1 cobb map as well via a v2 ap. I can say there is a noticeable difference between the stock ecu program vs the cobb. Not exactly night and day, but the engine response and output is increased.
For exact specs, at least for an 2007 wrx see here:
http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2304
No mods necessary.
I have at the moment; S1 flash, K&N panel filter, and seatbelt chime mod ;). All has been running great. Gas mileage has been about the same. Hard to say with precision since the engine is still (almost) new at ~3k mi.
Nice feature of the new AP is a data readout, altho eventually, i'll probably spring for a gauge cluster. If you get the AP, you can always keep it as/if you go stage 2, which requires at a minimum, a downpipe install and s2 flash.

-Jaded

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience, it will really only affect your MPG if you are into the boost a bunch. For normal driving, it is as good if not better than stock.

I have "stage 1" on my car, and really the only difference is a better map on the ECU. I used Cobb Accessport (AP) as I'm a newbie with no ECU tuner experience. It is simple to use but costs around $700 for a new AP. It is definetely worth it as it gives you some additional power and smooths out the power band. And it is unlikely to void your warranty.

If you know what you are doing, you can get a cable to interface to your ODBII connection, and find/load a map and get similar results, but there are risks involved and you need some gauges to make sure things are running properly. And did I mention knowing what you are doing. You could blow your motor easily if you do something wrong.
So correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, the ODBII connection has nothing to do w/ the Access Port and I need gauges to make sure things are running w/ the ODBII or w/ the Accessport, and the Accessport won't blow my motor, the ODBII connection will?

·
Registered
353 Posts
ur OBD-II port is an interface that is under your driver's side dash. think of it as an input/output into your car's ECU that allows you to change it's programming. mechanics use it to pull error codes thrown by the ECU. the accesport re-programs ur car through this input. i'd check with ur local dealer on warranty coverage with the accessport. some will cover it, but most dealerships are not "mod-friendly" but most of them will tell you it will void ur warranty, stage 1 included.

while the accessport is one of the most reliable EM systems out there, it is a powerful tool that can allow you to run custom maps programmed by a tuner (good/bad tuner). thse custom maps pose more of a danger than an off the shelf cobb map, which are generally very conservative tunes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
you won't blow an engine with a stage 1 map. it will smooth things out a bit. Question is, if you are worried about ur warranty, ask ur local dealership, some will void ur warranty b/c you are using a map that subaru did not originally program, no matter how good/bad that map is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, the ODBII connection has nothing to do w/ the Access Port and I need gauges to make sure things are running w/ the ODBII or w/ the Accessport, and the Accessport won't blow my motor, the ODBII connection will?

The AP actually has Live Data features that act as gauges and allow you to monitor data such as boost, RPM, AFR, and lots of other stuff. You can therefore use your Accessport as the gauges too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts