ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just flashed my stock 2010 WRX to stage 1 91 octane map and I'm getting a misfire on cylinder 1. I'm hoping it's just the crap gas I filled up with from Holiday (shame on me for not knowing). When I refill and the problem persists do I suspect spark plugs? Help with this is much appreciated as I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Who's stage 1 map are you using? I would contact the tuner about it

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Reflash the map and do some logging. Then post the logs.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Fill up with different gas, reset the ECU, then do some logging. If it persists, look at the sticky thread under the General Maintenance and Troubleshooting section

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced plugs last night and moved coil pack that was on cylinder 1 over to cylinder 2 to troubleshoot. What do ya know, misfire on cylinder 2. Would a new coil pack be covered under the limited warranty?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Replaced plugs last night and moved coil pack that was on cylinder 1 over to cylinder 2 to troubleshoot. What do ya know, misfire on cylinder 2. Would a new coil pack be covered under the limited warranty?
You'd have to ask the dealer or whomever provided the warranty about that one. Do you get the misfire without the Stage 1 reflash?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You'd have to ask the dealer or whomever provided the warranty about that one.
this

Do you get the misfire without the Stage 1 reflash?
This too! OP, do you 100% know that the tune is what caused it? I ask because if you do know that, there's a likely chance that Subaru will too, and they really have no obligation to repair it for you. Did you ever had misfire issues before the tune? Did it happen right after the tune, or once you got that gas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the chain of events in order.

Stock: no misfire code triggered but very jerky acceleration under load in 2nd and 3rd gear. Shell 91 octane.

After initial stage 1 Cobb ap tune: misfire cylinder 1 in same gears under load. Holiday 91 octane gas (I know now). Ran dry and refilled with Sinclair 92 octane same map, same issue.

Flashed back to stock: misfire continues in cyminder 1 under load same gears.

Changed plugs and swapped coil pack on cylinder 1 over to cylinder 2. Still on stock tune And sinclair 92 octane it misfired on 2.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Wonder if crappy gas coupled with the change in map caused a pull in timing to lead to the misfire...it makes sense. ECU hadn't been reset after going back to stock tune, thus the pull in timing was "remembered"...

Hypothetical of course.

Considering the misfire followed the coil, leave as stock, take it do the dealer and see if they will do a warranty job for you.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Mikie13 said:
ECU hadn't been reset after going back to stock tune, thus the pull in timing was "remembered"...
A reflash clears any learned fuel/timing changes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A reflash clears any learned fuel/timing changes.
Regardless I disconnected the battery last night.

Filled up with 93 octane from BP, flashed to 93 stage 1 map and same issue. Misfire followed the coil so think I'm just going to replace that coil and not mess with setting up an appointment for a $119 diagnostic test to find out what I think I already know. Then again I may be missing out on some free work! Decisions!?!?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take that back. My gm protection extended warranty covers coils and labor! Good thing I purchased that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts