ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a wrx last night and i'm kinda new to the whole idea of it so please be gentle. The previous owner told me that it has a perrin catless up pipe and turbo back exhaust. It also has an aem short ram intake. The previous owner also told me it was tuned stage 1.

I was advised by other members on this board to go to stage 2 but use the stock intake. However, i dont have the stock intake. Maybe i'll have to source one.

Any advice of what i should do at this very moment? Bare in mind, i've never used the accessport before either.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
buy (or trade) a used stock intake from someone who wants to do that upgrade, go stage 2 (TBE + stg2 tune).

Unless, that is, you have a relatively new wrx - in that case, a properly tuned intake will actually give you gains. Unfortunately, you'll probably need to get a protune, as intakes are very touchy. What year is your car?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buy (or trade) a used stock intake from someone who wants to do that upgrade, go stage 2 (TBE + stg2 tune).

Unless, that is, you have a relatively new wrx - in that case, a properly tuned intake will actually give you gains. Unfortunately, you'll probably need to get a protune, as intakes are very touchy. What year is your car?
it's an 04 wrx with 88k miles. now that i think about it a little bit, i will have to verify that it is in fact tbe. he didn't say anything about an aftermarket down pipe.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
So,use the accessport to go stage 2.Load the required map & you are set.I still fail to understand why the previous owner didn't load the Stage 2 map,if he had the AP with him,Strange.

But firstly confirm what aftermarket parts you have on the car

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to confirm:

aem short ram intake
CATBACK EXHAUST not turbo back
perrin up pipe
STOCK down pipe.

sorry for the confusion.

does this require stage 2 or 1 or neither?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yes, stage 1 is what you want with a stock downpipe. Is the map you're running designed to be used with an intake though?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, stage 1 is what you want with a stock downpipe. Is the map you're running designed to be used with an intake though?
i don't imagine it is. 2 questions, is there a way i can find out? and if it's not, can someone point me in the right direction to getting one?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
rage-wrx said:
Hmm,looks like they don't have a map for the AEM intake for your 04.Maybe somebody else can chime in about this.
They do not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
i don't imagine it is. 2 questions, is there a way i can find out? and if it's not, can someone point me in the right direction to getting one?
You'd have to get a professional tune to my knowledge. You need your MAF re-scaled. You may be running much leaner or richer than your car thinks as of now. I don't know if there is an easy way to do this using Cobb. You may be able to with street tuner or something. Maybe somebody with more Cobb experience can pitch in. May have to fork over some cash for either a professional tune or a stock intake, however.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Or buy a COBB intake.
Don't think they have OTS tunes for 04's. I could be wrong. Think that's only the new gen models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts