ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to park my car further out in parking lots, thinking it'll reduce the chance of contact from other cars. Well, to my dismay, I noticed a good size scratch by my rear driver-side door's handle. There are some scrapes on the handle assembly itself, then a single deeper scratch under the handle, on the door itself. Just p!sses me off thata people would have such lack of care when opening doors when near other cars. :mad:

Here's my questions, is the touch up paint from the dealership pretty good? I've also seen some sort of touch up paint "pen"? I think it's made by Dupont. Does anyone have experience with either? I would like to get feedback from people who's had to do touch up work from dings/scratches.

Oh...th one scratch is pretty deep, down to the metal. Is there a special way to touch up scratches such as these?

TIA

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
yeah the paint from dealer works quite good but it's not gonna be the same anymore since the scratch area will have difference of paint thickness which will not be even with original paint around. I have same problem, touched up paint chip and now whenever i wax my car the spot turns white on the edges :unhappy:

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
rallymaniac said:
yeah the paint from dealer works quite good but it's not gonna be the same anymore since the scratch area will have difference of paint thickness which will not be even with original paint around. I have same problem, touched up paint chip and now whenever i wax my car the spot turns white on the edges :unhappy:
Agreed. I use this though:

http://www.autosharppen.com/

It's a perfect match. Works well for chips and stuff...but for really thin scratches it won't help all too well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you dont mind paying around 50 bucks go to

www.colorsonparade.com I had my WRB STi touched up after some retard with a weed wacker decided to work in a rock bed. Matches perfect, also have good contacts for dent removal if needed.

Only reason I decided on them is the local subaru dealer here uses them for their touchups when the cars come off the boat.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys.

LukeWRX: I won't be able to use the service you linked because they don't have a dealer in my area. And I don't think the scratched area is big enough to warrant that type of service. I will however keep that link in case, heavens forbit, something bad happens to my paint.

...but for really thin scratches it won't help all too well.
Armin, would you mind explaining more in detail? I'd hate to spend $15 and not have what I need. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
burgerboy said:
Armin, would you mind explaining more in detail? I'd hate to spend $15 and not have what I need. Thanks!
Well, it's in the shape of a pen...so it makes it really easy to put on the touch up paint and you don't have to worry about spilling it. Problem is, it's definitely not the size of a ball point pen...closer to a felt tip...so if you have like hairline scratches, you'll have a tough time using the pen to touch it up. You'd probably be better off with the normal touch-up paint and a toothpick for scratches like that.

·
Banned
779 Posts
i have a sonic yellow car so i am not sure how this will work ,but i clean the area and dab some touchup paint on the chip . i let it dry over night then i sand it down with 1500 grit wet sand paper . then i user some polish and then wax and the spot is gone,and can not be seen . :) i am really anal when it comes to chips so it has to work good otherwise i woud have my hood painted twice a year :rotfl:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are some pics. Pains me to even post them. :(

Don't know if you can classify these as "hairline" thin. What do you guys think? Subaru touch-up or the pen?

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
24,023 Posts
Verdugo said:
Agreed. I use this though:

http://www.autosharppen.com/

It's a perfect match. Works well for chips and stuff...but for really thin scratches it won't help all too well.
This will be perfect for some scratches on my fender. Thanks. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts